Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short to medium term savings

Options
  • 09-02-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Recently came into a few quid - about €13,000 - and I'm looking to put a good chunk of it - about €10k - in a savings account of some sort that would add to the figure over time.

I would ideally like an account that I can't access easily, like with an ATM card etc, but that I could still access in emergencies. However, if no such thing exists, that's fine too.

Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭Cucking Funt

My advice is to do nothing, with dirt haping your arsh its a waste of time, if you have time maybe read up on stocks (or funds)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

And probably a bad idea telling everyone you have 13,000 when your location is plain to see

And probably a bad idea telling everyone you have 13,000 when your location is plain to see

I doubt he has it lying around the shop now in gold bars? Plus its not a huge amount of cash either its only a cheeky 13k

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I doubt he has it lying around the shop now in gold bars? Plus its not a huge amount of cash either its only a cheeky 13k

And suddenly there is a knock on the door.:)

And suddenly there is a knock on the door.:)

notty.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

With interest rates so low and DIRT so high, you are not going to get much in the way of interest.

For me, I would go with saving certificates at the moment (or maybe savings bonds/National Solidarity Bond). See here for details. The interest rate, although low, is about par with most other options but are tax free (so essentially you should double the figure when comparing to other schemes)

Although your dealings with an post may be bureaucratic (it's all paper based, weeks to process etc), this sounds exactly like what you are looking for (you can get the money back early if you need it, but not easily). There are no fees/charges for withdrawing the money early, but the bulk of the interest is given towards the end of the term, so the earlier you "cash in" the less interest you earn.

More info on how the interest is applied here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Thanks Dotsman, that's really helpful :-)

Now just to dig the gold bars out from under the mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

If you go onto the national consumer website you can get comparisons for lump sum investments

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/LumpSumSavingsAccountResults.aspx

The figures given are the gross amounts - you have to delete the DIRT amount to give you a truer picture of what you would get, as against investing it in an An Post product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Monokne wrote: »
    Hey all

Recently came into a few quid - about €13,000 - and I'm looking to put a good chunk of it - about €10k - in a savings account of some sort that would add to the figure over time.

I would ideally like an account that I can't access easily, like with an ATM card etc, but that I could still access in emergencies. However, if no such thing exists, that's fine too.

Anyone have any advice?

Sounds like you need a term deposit.

How long do you want to lock the money away for?

Advertisement