Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sporting opportunities and provisons?

• 09-02-2014 6:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knew what the psni are like for sporting opportunities.
    I currently play for Ireland in my sport and was wondering if the police have any schemes in place for "athletes"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

From what I know there are some opportunities. It also depends on the sport as in some sports they have their own team. Take for example the world police and fire games. Some seasonal sports can be tricky... Make sure you aren't needed in july! The other difficulty at times is that the police has to be seen to be neutral. There are a few officers play soccer within Irish league and standing to be corrected did Ronan Kerr not play gaelic at county level? Other question... Do you get paid? If so it would have to be declared - some additional earners have been known to get cheques made out to others as in a charity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I seem to remember provisions being pretty bad for PSNI in the WPFG last year. That's the same for most emergency services across the world.

I guess that's the first thing cut from budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Homer01 wrote: »
    I seem to remember provisions being pretty bad for PSNI in the WPFG last year. That's the same for most emergency services across the world.

I guess that's the first thing cut from budgets.

Yep, they're crap. Expect nothing to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Merseyside

TDA2 wrote: »
    From what I know there are some opportunities. It also depends on the sport as in some sports they have their own team. Take for example the world police and fire games. Some seasonal sports can be tricky... Make sure you aren't needed in july! The other difficulty at times is that the police has to be seen to be neutral. There are a few officers play soccer within Irish league and standing to be corrected did Ronan Kerr not play gaelic at county level? Other question... Do you get paid? If so it would have to be declared - some additional earners have been known to get cheques made out to others as in a charity

No, he did not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

TDA2 wrote: »

I think you're thinking of Peadar Heffron, who was the Captain of the PSNI's GAA team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

Don't think Peadar played at county level unless he is keeping it quiet lol! There's great provisions/opportunities for various sports in the PSNI!

You can get duty credit points to play matches/tournaments and there is also plenty of oppertunities to play abroad.

I'm in the Gaelic team and through an international tournament we get to go to places such as New York to play every few years which is great. I know the rugby have similar tournaments and get to travel across Europe playing.

For anyone interested in sport make the most of the open day at new forge, sign up, it's a very small price and make sure you ask about the sport your interested in!

If you play rugby, GAA, cricket, then there are certainly opportunities for time off for matches. If you're a good archer or curler then not so many. ;)

Also, the PSNI football team isn't necessarily made up of officers, so for people who reckon they're Messi at 5 a side, sorry! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Just curious, can anyone say what the gym facilities are like in Garnerville? Weights wise? Also what is the food like? Saying they put so much emphasis on training for the PCA it would be quite comical if they fed you burgers and chips all the time!

Just curious, can anyone say what the gym facilities are like in Garnerville? Weights wise? Also what is the food like? Saying they put so much emphasis on training for the PCA it would be quite comical if they fed you burgers and chips all the time!

The gym is as good as your going to get I think, could do with a few additions! I'm really big into my weights and find the gym is more than sufficient?

Antrim road facilities are excellent to

The food emmmmm now that's a question, there's various options that's all I'm saying.

Plenty of free weight plates ? What do the dumbells go up to? Like my weights as well! Hoping they don't feed crap, have the diet back on track now and don't want to see it ruined! Sorry for all the questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

As a non lactose intolerant vegan I know what you mean!

Plenty of free weight plates ? What do the dumbells go up to? Like my weights as well! Hoping they don't feed crap, have the diet back on track now and don't want to see it ruined! Sorry for all the questions!

Yeah easily about 300 kg worth for the free weights

Dumbells go up to 50kg

Depending in what your diet is wouldn't be the best, wouldn't suit mine

Given01 wrote: »
    Yeah easily about 300 kg worth for the free weights

Dumbells go up to 50kg

Depending in what your diet is wouldn't be the best, wouldn't suit mine

I don't think the food is too bad, there is plenty of salad type options. No healthy hot food really though. And the salad is horribly overpriced. And if you eat the Cumberland sausages at breakfast time you'll be burping all day long and your squad mates will hate you! :)

I don't think the food is too bad, there is plenty of salad type options. No healthy hot food really though. And the salad is horribly overpriced. And if you eat the Cumberland sausages at breakfast time you'll be burping all day long and your squad mates will hate you! :)

Lol aye if you want to eating like the roger the rabbit.... On the plus side it's free😠well used to be

Is there any catering facilities? Can you bring your own food up? Not fond of the salads, more a chicken and steak man lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

Is there any catering facilities? Can you bring your own food up? Not fond of the salads, more a chicken and steak man lol

Will you cook for me too?

If I pass vetting, medical , substance misuse test and online learning then no prob as long as you do the washing up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

If I pass vetting, medical , substance misuse test and online learning then no prob as long as you do the washing up lol

I'll join that club too - like a bit of steak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

picture987 wrote: »
    Will you cook for me too?

Personaly im a food for requirement fellow.
    If I aint gonna use it I ain't gonna eat it!.
    Currently in a bulking up phase for my chosing sport!

Gotta get that bulk on yanno!

student15 wrote: »
    Personaly im a food for requirement fellow.
    If I aint gonna use it I ain't gonna eat it!.
    Currently in a bulking up phase for my chosing sport!

Gotta get that bulk on yanno!

There are kitchens in the living quarters, with very basic cooking facilities. A real man sets fire to his spare uniform and barbeques his food there.

By real man I mean a guy prepared to do show parades for about 3 times a week for 21 weeks! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

In the Garnerville gym, they have a Matrix "Functional Trainer" that I've attached a picture of. From what it says on the sticker, it's the only piece of equipment you'll ever need to use.

There's a sticker showing you 20 different exercises you can do on it, and it has all the necessary bars, handles, ropes, etc. readily available, so you just look at the chart, decide which exercise you're going to do, attach the appropriate bar/grip, insert the pin under the desired number of plates/resistance, and get busy. Great for cable crossovers.

Sorry I had to watermark it but this would show up on other forums in a heartbeat if I didn't add a basic watermark.

Shield wrote: »
    In the Garnerville gym, they have a Matrix "Functional Trainer" that I've attached a picture of. From what it says on the sticker, it's the only piece of equipment you'll ever need to use.

There's a sticker showing you 20 different exercises you can do on it, and it has all the necessary bars, handles, ropes, etc. readily available, so you just look at the chart, decide which exercise you're going to do, attach the appropriate bar/grip, insert the pin under the desired number of plates/resistance, and get busy. Great for cable crossovers.

Sorry I had to watermark it but this would show up on other forums in a heartbeat if I didn't add a basic watermark.

It's a brilliant piece of kit, I'm always a bit jealous when I go to GV and use it. It has some brilliant attachments on the back of the middle bit which are great for core strengthening, it works far better than barbells and free weights for doing things like and woodchoppers. For the basic weight exercises it'll never be better than free weights, but it far far easier to use than them, and better for you than using fixed machines.

It's a brilliant piece of kit, I'm always a bit jealous when I go to GV and use it. It has some brilliant attachments on the back of the middle bit which are great for core strengthening, it works far better than barbells and free weights for doing things like and woodchoppers. For the basic weight exercises it'll never be better than free weights, but it far far easier to use than them, and better for you than using fixed machines.

It looks the part! Have the same machine in the local gym but the cable kept snapping, muppets with bad form dropping the weight etc caused that! Hoping there's a good squat rack and few leg and back machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

It looks the part! Have the same machine in the local gym but the cable kept snapping, muppets with bad form dropping the weight etc caused that! Hoping there's a good squat rack and few leg and back machines?

Never seen a beast of a machine like that before! Would like to give it a whirl. As long as GV has a squat rack, leg press, chest press & lats pull down I'll be happy! If not my gym ain't far from it :-D

.S. wrote: »
    Never seen a beast of a machine like that before! Would like to give it a whirl. As long as GV has a squat rack, leg press, chest press & lats pull down I'll be happy! If not my gym ain't far from it :-D

I'm racking my brain to think if there's a squat rack, and I don't think there is. There's a smith machine, but I don't think there's a rack. In fact now I think about it I can only think of 1 PSNI gym that does. It probably didn't pass health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I'm racking my brain to think if there's a squat rack, and I don't think there is. There's a smith machine, but I don't think there's a rack. In fact now I think about it I can only think of 1 PSNI gym that does. It probably didn't pass health and safety.

When my back/sciatica was at its worst I couldn't do squats with weights/a bar at all so could sorta see how they can say the h&s thing... Still, imagine there's plenty there to work with!

.S. wrote: »
    When my back/sciatica was at its worst I couldn't do squats with weights/a bar at all so could sorta see how they can say the h&s thing... Still, imagine there's plenty there to work with!

If there ain't a squat rack it ain't a gym :(

There's not a squat rack unless I've missed it! There's not cross fit in the bottom floor

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Elorfanato

Wow that blows my mind that there is no squat rack. A squat rack or power cage should be the first bit of equipment in any gym. There is a gym round the corner in Ballyhackamore which is only £15 a month which has a squat rack. I might go there for leg days if I have time!

• Advertisement

Elorfanato wrote: »
    Wow that blows my mind that there is no squat rack. A squat rack or power cage should be the first bit of equipment in any gym. There is a gym round the corner in Ballyhackamore which is only £15 a month which has a squat rack. I might go there for leg days if I have time!

Hope they are joking about not having one! Someone mentioned about having a smith machine but to squat in one is a cardinal sin! Will have to join the other gym if that's the case!

Advertisement