Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Coast Guard Helicopter

Options
  • 09-02-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Living near Mahon and there has been an Irish Coast Guard helicopter circling through the night.
    Really hope nothing serious has happened. It seems to follow the water up towards the harbour, but takes a left before Blackrock castle.
    Anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Does anyone know what the coastguard helicopter is looking for around blackrock and marina for the last few hours?

Just been wondering the same thing. Might take a walk down to the pier to see if anyone knows down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Was just in town now. They were up as far as Patrick's Bridge..

There was also a Coast Guard van parked by Penrose Wharf and a guy was walking up and down the Quay looking into the river.

Just as I was leaving though the Helicopter turned around and headed back down the Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Someone was spotted in the river earlier this morning so they are searching.

Found something on the crosshaven coastguard facebook

Call Out....
    Person in the Water, Patrick's Bridge, Cork City,
    Cork City Fire Brigade, Gardai, Crosshaven Lifeboat, R117
    All in attendance,
    Search Ongoing....

https://www.facebook.com/CrosshavenCoastGuard?ref=stream

They must have refueled, were gone for a while. Back again now down by the castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh I heard it to this morning was just saying to himself I thought I was dreaming. Oh I hope they found them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I wonder is that what I saw last night, I looked out the window at 3am-ish and seen lights in the sky, smaller and lower down than a plane. I live under the flight path in Wilton/Togher and this definitely wasn't going the usual path, it was off in the distance more towards town way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Must have been a helicopter I seen last night around 3am. Awful sad, I hope they find who they're looking for :(

Divers involved now. Think the helicopter is called off.

Examiner says man in twenties seen entering the river at 4:50.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/search-under-way-for-man-in-river-lee-622136.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kearylicious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just saw this on Facebook:
    Just saw a guy drown....I called emergency services and asked for cork city services, I asked for an ambulance and fire brigade.....when asked my location I said Patrick's bridge city centre, I was then asked where that was, could I perhaps name the closest street....I said Patrick street.....I was then asked was I in Fermoy or Middleton.......I said CORK CITY.....she said she couldn't locate it......at this point the guy had drifted as far as Parnell place (just by the bus station) at which point he had gone under......so I told the way too calm and collected idiot on the phone that we were by cork city bus station on Parnell place.......she responded......nope, can't find that either.......
    Somebody on the other side of the river had rang too as we ran into each other on the bridge......his call arrived....but the guy was gone..
    The men who arrived were doing the best they could......

But once again, what's the ****in point in having emergency service numbers when they treat you like your ordering a ****in pizza and that time is not a factor on the ****in phone.....

AND....how ****in slow do you have to be to not be able to find PATRICKS ****ING BRIDGE if your the operator for CORK ****IN CITY.........

Finally to the guy who was in the water I'm sorry.

That's shocking, if accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Reardons bar just posted and people on facebook are sharing: (i have left out his name as only the details in the post are relevant)
    PLEASE SHARE: The picture below is one of our barman <name> (on the left) from our sister pub the <pub name>. <name> was last seen leaving his house at 4am in Blackpool heading towards the city centre. He has been uncontactable since, if anyone has seen <name> or has any information please contact the Gardai. Thanks!!
    https://www.facebook.com/reardens

co-incidence?

i was hoping the person in the river was a false alarm, but the timelines are so close.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Faith wrote: »

TBH it would not surprise me . Have been in situations where it was very difficult to understand if the person on the other end was looking at google maps in a diff Lang. Especially when u provide large landmarks and they still tell u location doesn't exist . V upsetting when they are the ones who has to put out that callout /dispatch for u .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Its ridiculous though, in an emergency situation there should be an emergency response able to deal with it in a timely and efficient manner,

no matter what the annual cost surely a life or more is worth more? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Faith wrote: »

That is no surprise to me. I had an awful experience in the past that is not much different to the account above.

I hope the chap is found.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Its ridiculous though, in an emergency situation there should be an emergency response able to deal with it in a timely and efficient manner,

no matter what the annual cost surely a life or more is worth more? :(

I thought the emergency services could locate you from your mobile phone these days?

I had similar issues about 10 years ago calling an ambulance on the killumney road in ballincollig. They said it didn't exist, no matter how many times I spelled it.

I know there are cut backs all over the place with emergency services. A friend called an ambulance for their very sick child (collapsed lung), it took over an hour because all ambulances were called out at the time.

Unfortunately for that guy, the services would have still taken 15 mins at least to get there, probably too late no matter what they did. And a fire engine wouldn't have been able to do a thing for him. Needed coast guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I think the emergency services hotline for Cork is based out of Limerick, it was in Cork until they centralised Munster a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Horrible to hear someone has to go through something like this poor chap thinking of his family must be a nasty time for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

A good few years back I when I was living at home I arrived back home Stephens night, about 5am, obviously pissed. My Dad was in the kitchen saying hes having a heart attack and ring a ambulance.
    So rang 999, first time in my life, and the operator thought I was taking the piss! Who the **** jokes about **** like that? Had to tell them I wasnt, and wait over 45mins for it to arrive.
    Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lekrub wrote: »
    A good few years back I when I was living at home I arrived back home Stephens night, about 5am, obviously pissed. My Dad was in the kitchen saying hes having a heart attack and ring a ambulance.
    So rang 999, first time in my life, and the operator thought I was taking the piss! Who the **** jokes about **** like that? Had to tell them I wasnt, and wait over 45mins for it to arrive.
    Great service.

Lets not go of topic please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

pwurple wrote: »

Unfortunately for that guy, the services would have still taken 15 mins at least to get there, probably too late no matter what they did. And a fire engine wouldn't have been able to do a thing for him. Needed coast guard.

Fire would be out far faster than 15min, they also have water capabilities. Swiftwater Rescue Technician on each truck IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What i fail to understand is, what do they need bloody GPS for if the caller says Patricks Bridge Cork City. I am sure the vast majority of the firemen in Anglesea know where Patricks Bridge is.

God help us all if our emergency service personnel need bloody Sat Navs to find the most popular bridge in their own city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

pwurple wrote: »
    A friend called an ambulance for their very sick child (collapsed lung), it took over an hour because all ambulances were called out at the time.

How many ambulances were on duty do you know?
    Were they queued up in CUH Casualty awaiting unloading?

It might be possible that only a single ambulance might be covering the City at any one time, and it is equally possible that no ambulance is available because it can take three or more hours as the ambulance and crew are queued like ordinalry walk in patients and CUH A&E.

Cutbacks are one thing, system resource utilisation is another.

The Coast Guard SAR helicopters are currently being re tasked as air ambulances, a role they had not been initially employed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Several boats in that stretch of the river today, they seemed to have some kind of underwater sensor (radar? I can't imagine it's a camera as the water is so murky after all the flooding). There are several life-rings along St. Patrick's quay, not sure about Merchants' quay, wonder if they were used (or even there/not been stolen or vandalised) at the time.

Just live by that stretch of river. Would love to think that if centralised emergency services weren't adequate, there could be a local number (local, trained volunteers?) to call. Hate thinking of someone being in trouble so near by, and I could have so easily have helped if I'd known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

who_me wrote: »
    there could be a local number (local, trained volunteers?) to call. Hate thinking of someone being in trouble so near by, and I could have so easily have helped if I'd known.

The Cork City Fire Brigade still have the capability of taking calls but it is not monitored as it used be in the past, but one can hear local officers taking over and directing crews who are being inaccurately directed from Limerick.

Advertisement