Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great North Run

Options
  • 09-02-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Looks like i was successful in the Ballot for the great north run :). Anyone ever do this before? Any tips? Where did you stay, is it hard getting back to Newcastle from the finish line. Whats the route like is it tough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did it in 2012, the experience is pretty good but I had a nightmare race as my training was very restricted due to an injury which I'm only really getting over now!

I stayed in Jurys Inn in Newcastle, cost an absolute bomb - the Saturday night was over £200 for that night alone and that was the case for pretty much any hotel in the city centre. It might be worth having a look at the Newcastle Metro map and staying near one of the stations on that, the service is pretty decent.

I'd also recommend booking your flights now - there's a decent number of Irish entrants and the flights fill up quickly. I ended up flying into Leeds-Bradford on the Friday evening, staying there that night and getting a train to Newcastle on the Saturday morning. Monday morning flight back was fine, NCL is a bit like Shannon or Cork - it's quite compact and the Metro goes all the way out there.

I'd best describe the route as "rolling" despite the fact that it is net downhill. It's not sharp, but in my injured state I noticed every slight incline when I ran it. There are some very wide easy motorway sections in it, and then some tighter ones through villages and housing estates. Crowds are huge pretty much all the way, which is quite nice.

Getting back to Newcastle after the race is fine. Don't walk into South Shields to get the Metro, you'll probably be queuing for an hour. There's a fleet of local buses put on, you'll have to pay around 3 quid for it, but they will take you right back to the train station in Newcastle. It's quite convenient. If you've got someone with you that you need to meet up with after the race, be very rigid on which meeting point you use - the mobile phone reception is absolutely atrocious and that can make things awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Irishder wrote: »
    Looks like i was successful in the Ballot for the great north run :). Anyone ever do this before? Any tips? Where did you stay, is it hard getting back to Newcastle from the finish line. Whats the route like is it tough?

You get your email already? Didn't think they were letting people know till tomorrow

Sister in law did it last year, she travelled down from Edinburgh the morning of race. As hotel costs are pricey around Newcastle. Weather was atrocious as well

You can tell whether you're in or not if there's a charge from Great Run on your bank account or credit card statement now. Emails are going out tomorrow.

You can tell whether you're in or not if there's a charge from Great Run on your bank account or credit card statement now. Emails are going out tomorrow.

I can't access my credit card online. It's down for maintenance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thanks for the replys, yes the money got taken off my credit card today.

• Advertisement

Just booked Jurys inn newcastle for the sat and Sun... It was 360 Euro for both nights . This is getting expensive!!!

Looks like I'm in as well :) have it on my credit card dated 7/2

Shall be staying in a cheap b&b somewhere

Colin32 are you going to fly over or take the ferry and drive?

I'll be flying over. I'll be in Birmingham that weekend anyways, so shall get the train up to Newcastle on the Saturday afternoon. Then fly back Ryanair late Sunday

Ryanair flight is at 10.15pm or aer lingus (aer arran) at 7.10pm

I'm booked in to swallow gateshead hotel for €135. It's the cheapest I could find, lots of hotels already fully booked :(

• Advertisement

change of plan. staying in whitley bay now, getting the metro in on the morning of the race.

only €65 for the night :)

For the record - I'm in too. Vengeance time after the howler 2 years ago :)

Put my goal time in as 2:05, but really the goal is just to have a good day.

Will be building the running for the London Triathlon olympic distance in August, so may as well put in a running target for September!

Probably East Coast Trains or drive up, and haven't picked accomodation yet.

For the record - I'm in too. Vengeance time after the howler 2 years ago :)

Put my goal time in as 2:05, but really the goal is just to have a good day.

Will be building the running for the London Triathlon olympic distance in August, so may as well put in a running target for September!

Probably East Coast Trains or drive up, and haven't picked accomodation yet.

not much accommodation left in Newcastle city centre, unless you pay over the odds

colin32 wrote: »
    not much accommodation left in Newcastle city centre, unless you pay over the odds

Looking at Jesmond (which is only 1 stop up from the start - Haymarket - on the Metro) or at going a bit outside - Sunderland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

To my surprise got an email this morning to say I got in! Figured time was of the essence so booked my accommodation in one of the University places 10 mins from the start. No flights from Cork on a Sat so had to get two nights for £55/night.

As a matter of interest I see they have millions of different start zone, what decides which zone you're in? Not that I'm too pushed as just doing this run for the experience so won't be chasing times or anything.

Ended up booking the Premier Inn Metrocentre. £222 for 2 nights, around 3 miles outside Newcastle city centre. I'm ok with that. Monday off to give us plenty of time to head back down - 3 hrs on the train to King's Cross or 5 hours driving.

i'd take the train option. legs might be a bit sore after the run

i'm thinking of getting the train down to leeds and flying back from there, only a hour on the train. they have a 7.30pm flight, and it'll save hanging around Newcastle for the 10.15pm flight.

i'd take the train option. legs might be a bit sore after the run

i'm thinking of getting the train down to leeds and flying back from there, only a hour on the train. they have a 7.30pm flight, and it'll save hanging around Newcastle for the 10.15pm flight.

I flew *into* LBA last time and stayed in Leeds on the Friday night, it was much cheaper than staying an extra night in Newcastle or flying into there. Think the train fare is only around 12 quid too.

Thankfully, I'm not the one driving so it doesn't really matter to me which option we take there!

i'll be in Birmingham on the Saturday, so getting the train up from there.

the only thing i'm thinking of is sitting around for hours after the run. it'll be endless boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I haven't received an email yet, but after entering my details in this checker, I see I got a place. Can't believe it and delighted, as I've had to defer my London entry. If you are still waiting email confirmation, check here http://greatrun.org/ballotcheck/

• Advertisement

had call today to say the b&b i booked has been sold & is no longer a b&b :eek::mad: no other b&b's/hotels available in Newcastle or surrounding areas :(

now looking at staying at the university in the city centre. has anyone stayed there before & was it ok?

now looking at staying at the university in the city centre. has anyone stayed there before & was it ok?

Is that the same one I mentioned earlier? Don't know anything about it but imagine it will be packed with people doing the race as it's one of the 'official' accommodation places.

yeah that's the one. looking at the Windsor terrace one, as it's right by the start & have late checkout. flight would be 10.15 that night

had call today to say the b&b i booked has been sold & is no longer a b&b :eek::mad: no other b&b's/hotels available in Newcastle or surrounding areas :(

There are still hotels available on www.booking.com but some are v pricey!!

yeah I went on to bookings.com. extortionate prices for 1 night though

i'll be booking to stay at the university. looks ok & close to the start

extortionate prices for 1 night though
    Pretty much the same anywhere within about 20 miles of the course! 55,000 visitors for one race is a *lot* for a city the size of Newcastle.

yeah I know :( robbing f**ks

Number showed up in the post this morning, hadn't realised it was just over a month away 'til I had a look at the dates. Looking forward to it now especially that bit where the red arrows fly over the bridge which always looks spectacular on the telly!

Got my number this week too. In wave B.

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Got my number this week too. In wave B.

Don't have it in front of me at the moment but think I'm the same.

Advertisement