Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great North Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No sign of mine yet - plenty of time though! Put my goal time down as 2:05 though so I'll be a good bit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Not had mine yet either but still a few weeks yet. My aim is around 2 hours, so it'll take time for me to get across the start line

I'll run round with you rainbow :)

I'll be a good bit back.
    Green zone H. Unimpressed kirby, that's almost walker country, and just made the sub-2 task a good bit harder. :mad:

I was in orange D the last time I did it, started more slowly than I should have, and was still passing loads of people at the start...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

What time does the race start at? I've looked at their webpage and fb page, but can't find a startime :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

RubyK wrote: »
    What time does the race start at? I've looked at their webpage and fb page, but can't find a startime :o

10:40 going by the route description here.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill opus :) I was looking at the map this morning, but still didn't cop the start time on it!! Hope training is going well for you, not long to go now.

Looking at the map from last year on there website depending where you start, starting times are from 10.10

Has anyone stayed in the Holiday Inn Express before? Is it central? We've booked a hotel, but at the moment, I just don't know if I can justify the cost of it. Holiday Inn is working out at 160 euro less.

Looks like it's less than a mile from the University where I'm staying ~1.5 miles to the start area assuming it's the one called HI Express Newcastle city centre. The start is near Claremont Rd according to the info they sent me.

Thanks Opus, have managed to get €120 off hotel I originally booked, so staying put.

How is training going for everyone? I'll be happy to finish in one piece, won't be getting a pb.

• Advertisement

Have been kinda cramming the longer runs in during August! Hadn't done more than 12-13km at a time before the London Triathlon earlier this month, but have done 2 longer ones (and the usual shorter ones, swimming and a bit of cycling) since then. Aiming for 20km this weekend. I think 2:00-2:05 is probably realistic tbh, PB is 1:50 but I won't be getting within an asses roar of that, especially not from a green H start.

how's everyone's training going for this?

early weather reports are suggesting close to 20deg & sunny :eek::eek:, hopefully that'll cool down before then

I'd be quite happy with that tbh, would justify all the July hot weather slogging...

I'd be quite happy with that tbh, would justify all the July hot weather slogging...

I'll take anything bar a strong northly wind!

colin32 wrote: »
    how's everyone's training going for this?

early weather reports are suggesting close to 20deg & sunny :eek::eek:, hopefully that'll cool down before then

I'm trying to string a bit of training together for the Frankfurt marathon so this will part of that, hopefully will go ok.

Must admit I hadn't started look at the weather yet, even for me it's still a bit early ;)

I was bored in work, so thought i'd have a look :)

where are most people staying for the night/weekend? i'm in the university, and have a check out of 6pm on the Sunday. Be able to recover for a while before flying back

Premier Inn Metrocentre here, staying Saturday and Sunday night. It's worth staying the Sunday night if you can, any transport out of Newcastle on the Sunday evening is rammed and the city will be pretty lively after the race anyway. We're getting the train up from King's Cross on Saturday afternoon and heading back Monday afternoon, booked well in advance so we got relatively good fares.

i'm flying in to Manchester Saturday morning & then getting the train up. It worked out cheaper than getting the 7am flight to Newcastle on the Saturday. Flying back on the 7pm flight out of Newcastle on Sunday evening

Shall get an all day metro ticket in advance and just hop on the to get to the airport. I think they're only £5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Heading up with RK as a spectator for this. Hope the weather is better than 2 years ago! Great elite field, looking forward to it.

Will be looking for an irish pub for the all Ireland hurling final afterwards.

I'm staying in the university as well, there's a direct flight from Cork so arriving on Fri afternoon but have to go back on Sun after the race so will miss any apres-race celebrations :(

• Advertisement

We are flying from cork on Friday too. Staying in Sleeperz hotel. Looking forward to the weekend.

Probably safe to start looking at the weather now :)

jsya9u.jpg

No problems with this if it's true!

That looks pretty perfect!!

How is everyone getting on? After a really disasterous LSR last Saturday, I'm feeling quite nervous about Sunday.

looking forward to it but also a bit nervous. never ran 13.1 mile before, so it's a first for me :eek:

I shall be out for a run tonight & Thursday, then rest up for sunday.

Probably more relaxed than I should be. Have done 4 long runs in the 16-18km range, but haven't covered the distance in training. The one day I went out to try do 20km I had a fall after around 17km and skinned the crap out of my left knee... Mileage overall has been relatively low, but there has been quite a bit of cycling there too.

This week? Probably run this evening and Thursday, cycle tomorrow, swim Friday, travel Saturday.

anyone been to Newcastle before?? just looking for somewhere decent to eat the Saturday night

We ended up eating in Brown's on Grey Street the night of the race last time (2012) - was pretty good. There was a Latin American steakhouse across the road from it too but it was booked out when we were there.

Is it crazy after the finish, trying to get back to Newcastle city centre? Is it better to use the metro or the bus?

Can be a 2 hour queue for the Metro. I reckon just get the bus if you can.

• Advertisement

sister in law did it last year. she's told me to use the metro, but to buy the ticket the day before. as she says the queue's were mental last year

Advertisement