Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PR costs for a launch event

Options
  • 09-02-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Not sure of this is the right place to post - /The PR Boards forum is a bit bare and thought someone here might know./

Has anyone any experience with launch events and dealing with PR people?
    Say I have a product to launch, want to hold a flashy party in Dublin and want some exposure in the papers. How much would you suggest I have to budget for PR costs? Is there an average cost for doing these things? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Good PR is like any professional service, it needs to have an objective, primarily clearly focussed on where you need your story to land The type of launch for a new fashion brand is going to very different to that for new bank or an industrial air compressor with integrated desiccating module. As for the PR person, you need someone well versed in your industry with the appropriate media contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Thanks Peter, I was more interested if someone has put on a launch event, hired a pr person/company and how much(approx)to budget for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Buttercake wrote: »
    Say I have a product to launch, want to hold a flashy party in Dublin and want some exposure in the papers. How much would you suggest I have to budget for PR costs? Is there an average cost for doing these things? Thanks in advance.

Asking the price of a product launch is the same as asking the price of a car – the cost runs from a Dacia to a Rolls Royce – and you get (usually) what you pay for. A good PR person will help, suggest the best venue for your profile/market/customers along with the best ‘notable’ to do the launch and also advise on when to launch (day & time are important and product dependent.) Quirky venues are good if an appropriate one can be found.
    Flashy launches don't work for non-flashy products, you might be highly enamoured by your flashy non-stick wok, but it will not be flashy enough to get media profile (unless you have Nigella or Jamie there.)

A PR person also can get some notables to attend (for a fee.) A boutique can do an in-house wine & cheese evening with a few models strutting the latest range; a motor importer can hire Mondello for a day and bring in a F1 driver to bring key dealers around the course, etc. The sky is the limit on costs.
    Nothing can guarantee you exposure in the media (other than taking out an advert with them and then hoping for some advertorial.)

I used Hill and Knowlton in Ireland before to launch a new business. I spent 15g's on a photoshoot with Rosanna, and a press release which got me a lot of coverage and interviews with print and radio.

In terms of an event, call up an event management company and get them to quote you on what you need. Bring that quote to the PR firm as opposed to getting them to do it for you otherwise they will stick on an extra profit margin for themselves.

I will say H&K were very good and nice to deal with and they delivered, although they won't promise you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

thanks for responses, the business is already established so this event is for a 10-year anniversary party and new website launch. Guests will be clients and friends of the company. Maybe a few random faces.

Venue,entertainment,drinks already booked. we were hoping for some exposure in the press, not loads but a bit. 15k would be out of budget, was thinking more 2k, 3k max

• Advertisement

Get the yellow pages out so and just ring all the PR companies and ask for the cost of a press release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

OK so you are a 10 year old company with a new website, nothing newswortht in that, though obviously an important milestone for you guys!

1. You need a newsy/intesting "story" to hang out of. An event USP!
    2. You need to decide and target where you want to get your "news" landing is it fashion pages, business news, sports section. trade press/websites whatever?
    3. Find a PR bod/company who work regularly in this field and have the appropriate close media contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I spent 15g's on a photoshoot with Rosanna, and a press release which got me a lot of coverage and interviews with print and radio.

15g?? guess she kept her clothes on then!;)

Lol she turned up dressed liked Pamela Anderson when she was in that show Home Improvement if you remember that. So good enough :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

first off launch parties don't work

unless your apple or Microsoft

you need to have customers come into your business,your looking for free publicity,you can send out news flashes to the papers your self invite repporters that deal with your line work,set up twitter and facebook page

• Advertisement
Advertisement