Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest option of streaming from sgs4/nexus tablet to hd tv

• 09-02-2014 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

So my mate was very impressed at my being able to stream videos from my note 3 straight to my Xbox or smart TV.

He is now on a mission to get something similar set up in his own gaff in the most cost efficient way he can.

He has a sky be router directly below his tv, which isn't a smart TV, but has hdmi slots (don't know about USB slots)

He doesn't own an Xbox or a smart TV, but he does however own a bluray player, which I presume can be connected up to the wifi network.

That's what I've got to go with guys. Chromecast obviously would be an option when it arrives, but until then, what's his options?

He wouldn't be too tech savvy and doesn't own a laptop or desktop, only the phone and tablet.

Cheers...

Edit is there any cables that he can connect either tablet or phone to Tv with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I think Curry's will start selling the chromecast on the 1st March (rumour is £30) so the UK Google play store will probably start around then too. If he can't wait until then he can pay more and get it on Amazon or eBay. As a chromecast owner for about 6 months I can say it's exactly what he needs. Cheap, simple and easy to use. Now that the developer sdk is open the number of apps is going to explode. I already use apps like AllCast and Avia to cast local content or stream online video to my TV. Add in the ShowBox app and you have an unbeatable combination.

I cringe at the thought now of having use cables to connect mobile devices to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Dudda wrote: »
    I think Curry's will start selling the chromecast on the 1st March (rumour is £30) so the UK Google play store will probably start around then too. If he can't wait until then he can pay more and get it on Amazon or eBay. As a chromecast owner for about 6 months I can say it's exactly what he needs. Cheap, simple and easy to use. Now that the developer sdk is open the number of apps is going to explode. I already use apps like AllCast and Avia to cast local content or stream online video to my TV. Add in the ShowBox app and you have an unbeatable combination.

I cringe at the thought now of having use cables to connect mobile devices to the TV.

Is showbox available for chrome cast now ?

OP if he just wants to stream saved media content from his phone or PC to the TV the NowTv box is only a tenner and allows you do this when paired with the Playto app on your phone or tablet or plex on your pc. You get a months free access to sky movies along with the box so nothing really lost if you don't like it.
    You need access to a PC however to initially set it up . All the info you need is here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057001096

I also highly recommend this an MHL to HDMI cable. I got mine for 12 euro on ebay. It means you plug your phone into the tv and you can watch anything thats on your phone screen including xmbc, showbox ,assorted tv players etc . Theres no setup, no messing with wireless etc if he is not techy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Plex App is also available on Chromecast now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Turns out he has family heading to Chicago for 5 days on Valentine's Day.

Chromecast coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Is showbox available for chrome cast now?
    When you click play on a movie in ShowBox it lets you watch the movie in another app. Select the Avia app and use the Avia app to cast it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement