Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new idea that everyone will find so useful

Options
  • 09-02-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the proper category.
    Hi everyone
    I came up with a brainwave last night. I can't go into any detail for obvious reasons. It's a simple enough idea which involves technology that is very commonly used. My idea makes it a lot more convenient for the user. A quick Google search tells me that it's not in use in the way I want to use it. I think it would be so handy in every household but I have no idea about where to go with just an idea.it would involve people from the computer manufacturing industry(i think)
    Financially I'm in no way capable of doing anything to bring it any further than a pipe dream. So what I need is advise and help to bring it further. Also how can I protect my idea.
    I hope this post makes a bit of sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

What you have is an idea for a business using existing technology, which may or not be protected by IP, not for a new product. Essentially, you cannot protect a business model/concept other than by branding etc .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A patent would be the most obvious form of protection but given that you only had the idea last night I'd recommend you do more research on the idea itself before you go down that road. Lots more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

What you have is an idea for a business using existing technology, which may or not be protected by IP, not for a new product. Essentially, you cannot protect a business model/concept other than by branding etc .
    What do you mean by branding it?

Trademarks etc, like Guinness, Apple, Zara, Facebook etc

Trademarks etc, like Guinness, Apple, Zara, Facebook etc
    Ok but the product already exists but I have a way to use it that would make it more convenient. Are there companies out there that help people with this sort of stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

branding means giving it a name and or logo that people will identify with and recognise what the product is via the 'brand'.

Apple is a brand, Shazam is a brand, Levis is a brand... while other companies produce the same products a strong brand can produce a customer base..

It seams you are a million miles from bringing your idea to fruition as you know...
    Unfortunately, lots of us have ideas and concepts for products and services that could potentially solve a problem or capture a market...but the reality is without the skills and money your idea will remain an idea.

In a nutshell if you want to develop your idea you need to develop your skills..

It could be possible to find people with the right skills to assist you but this may come at a cost...

unlikely, as all you have is an idea for an application, as far as I can tell, that are for other than the normal application. What you need is something that is unique and capable of being protected from imitation!! Good ideas sometimes have no commercially exploitable potential by the innovator, however useful the idea might be!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

vertico wrote: »
    Ok but the product already exists but I have a way to use it that would make it more convenient. Are there companies out there that help people with this sort of stuff?

There are but you may not want to use them, they will expect something in return.

I really think you're putting the cart before the horse, take some time to research your idea, study your competition, work out why nobody else is doing/using it. Work out what it will cost, what it will save, how much to make/develop it, who will use/buy it.

Piriz wrote: »
    branding means giving it a name and or logo that people will identify with and recognise what the product is via the 'brand'.

Apple is a brand, Shazam is a brand, Levis is a brand... while other companies produce the same products a strong brand can produce a customer base..

It seams you are a million miles from bringing your idea to fruition as you know...
    Unfortunately, lots of us have ideas and concepts for products and services that could potentially solve a problem or capture a market...but the reality is without the skills and money your idea will remain an idea.

In a nutshell if you want to develop your idea you need to develop your skills..

It could be possible to find people with the right skills to assist you but this may come at a cost...
    That's exactly my problem. I need to get help and know that it will come at a cost. But surely there are companies that take on people's ideas and develop them for a percentage of potential earnings if they think it's going to be very profitable.

That's exactly my problem. I need to get help and know that it will come at a cost. But surely there are companies that take on people's ideas and develop them for a percentage of potential earnings if they think it's going to be very profitable.

but only if it is capable of being protected from competition! Solve this and you may well have a valuable concept.

• Advertisement

but only if it is capable of being protected from competition!

How would I know this

How would I know this

By deduction! If you only have an idea to use an existing product/technology for a novel use, you have no more than my garage doorstop made from an old tapered steel hammer head, for which it was never intended to be used!

I'm trying my best here to come up with an example of what I mean. As I said it's about taking something that the majority of the world use but making it more convenient.

OK, lets say you have a unique idea for a completely new strap design that makes it impossible to lose a mobile phone, then it could be protected by a patent. If you have a piece of unique software that gives the same result, that could be protected. It it is just an elastic band, no chance!

Also, it is important to understand that there are literally millions of patents that have zero commercial value. Value only comes from the willingness of people to pay for the invention or the use of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

I'm not sure if this is the proper category.
    Hi everyone
    I came up with a brainwave last night. I can't go into any detail for obvious reasons. It's a simple enough idea which involves technology that is very commonly used. My idea makes it a lot more convenient for the user. A quick Google search tells me that it's not in use in the way I want to use it. I think it would be so handy in every household but I have no idea about where to go with just an idea.it would involve people from the computer manufacturing industry(i think)
    Financially I'm in no way capable of doing anything to bring it any further than a pipe dream. So what I need is advise and help to bring it further. Also how can I protect my idea.
    I hope this post makes a bit of sense.

At this very early stage, this is the most important part of your post. The starting point to you looks like 'how do I figure out building this and protecting the idea', when in reality it should be doing some research and investigation into the why nobody else has built it yet.

Is it because nobody has had the same great idea? Extremely unlikely, especially these days when the information on how to research a potential new concept is at everybody's fingertips.

Is it because other people have thought about it, but then discarded the idea because of x, y or z reason? Much more likely. Those reasons could include:

-Nobody would pay to use it (can make do with something else, or without it).
    -Cost outweighs benefit (cost is too high for what you get back).
    -Similar product achieves the same objective more cheaply / conveniently.

And probably many more reasons. So I would say your starting point is to research further in order to possibly save valuable time and perhaps money before finding out it isn't a runner.

Atomico wrote: »
    At this very early stage, this is the most important part of your post. The starting point to you looks like 'how do I figure out building this and protecting the idea', when in reality it should be doing some research and investigation into the why nobody else has built it yet.

Is it because nobody has had the same great idea? Extremely unlikely, especially these days when the information on how to research a potential new concept is at everybody's fingertips.

Is it because other people have thought about it, but then discarded the idea because of x, y or z reason? Much more likely. Those reasons could include:

-Nobody would pay to use it (can make do with something else, or without it).
    -Cost outweighs benefit (cost is too high for what you get back).
    -Similar product achieves the same objective more cheaply / conveniently.

And probably many more reasons. So I would say your starting point is to research further in order to possibly save valuable time and perhaps money before finding out it isn't a runner.
    The majority if people already use this every day. What I want to do is to make it much more accessible , at hands reach. Example: why get up to change channels when you have a remote control right beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

OP, I've been doing an entrepreneurial course for the last couple of months, and if I've learned nothing else, I've learned that you have to be completely objective about your idea. You can think to yourself it's the best thing since sliced bread, but in all fairness, there's loads of people out there who prefer to slice their own bread!

You need to think WHY, with all the tech advancements of the last 30 years, no-one has thought to do what you want to do. "a quick google" isn't really enough- you need to search really specifically now, in patent registers, etc. Tell someone you trust, but who will be discreet etc. about your idea and ask them to honestly critique it. While you might think your idea is amazing and life changing, you might be the only person who thinks that! And if that's the case, no matter how great it is, you won't make money on it. And if you can't make enough money to make your product viable, then it's not a good idea at this time. Doesn't mean it won't be. But maybe just not now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

The majority if people already use this every day. What I want to do is to make it much more accessible , at hands reach. Example: why get up to change channels when you have a remote control right beside you.

Why do you think it's not more accessible than it currently is?

• Advertisement

I have talked to my brother in law today, he runs a company that deals with a lot of design and technology. He thinks it's a very good idea and that everyone would use it if they had it.(they already have it but not the way I can give it to them). But he's not able to help with my idea. He advises much the same as everyone here but to try and get it protected 1st. But I am not financially able to do anything.
    I'm gonna do a bit more research on companies that may be able to help me.

Atomico wrote: »
    Why do you think it's not more accessible than it currently is?
    My idea is just makes it convenient

if you disclose it without basic protection in place, it becomes un-patentable. You need to ask one of the patent agents if they will give you a free first consultation http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/patents_agents.aspx

Would my local enterprise board be worth talking to?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

If you're idea is as unique and new as you think it is then it might be advisable to put it in on paper. Write it down in as much detail as possible, date it, sign it and put it in a safe place (with your solicitor possibly). Now go and download a nondisclosure template and any one else you need to tell get them to sign it first. This is in no way as strong as a patent but if you have something of value and need to explore option before spending money on protection it is a start.

Its a standard reply here but go and ask your local enterprise board if they can organise a meeting with a patent mentor for you. It should be free to start with anyway. EB's also provide very good funding for feasibility studys. Apart from your own on line research I think this is about the cheapest route you can take in validating your idea.

There was a story on radio last year of a homeless guy that had a laptop as his only asset and he managed to setup a business. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I hope you're idea turn out to be as good as you believe. Best of luck.

Absolutely, after you have done the basics to get initial protection. They are going to want see your idea validated for protection before you can access their supports. Some more reading for you! http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/patents_apply.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭pipie

lucky john wrote: »
    it might be advisable to put it in on paper. Write it down in as much detail as possible, date it, sign it and put it in a safe place (with your solicitor possibly).

...and post it back to yourself by registered post.... and put it in a safe place (with your solicitor possibly)

As far as I know this is only applicable to establishing copyright date and not patents.

I sent myself an email earlier today with a lot of the details of the idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭pipie

I sent myself an email earlier today with a lot of the details of the idea

try not to do that again, you dont know who can read your email's...

Advertisement