Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden desk project

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi all,

Was wondering where would be the best place to get wood for the project in the link below? Would like the same thickness etc. I'm based in Galway but am often in Tipperary too. Could anyone give me an idea of what price I would be looking at paying. Thanks, I'm a newbie at this, so I appreciate your time :)

http://www.peerflix.com/best-home-office-desk-designs-styles-for-work-room/diy-floating-corner-desk/

I would imagine you would be better posting this in "Woodcraft" forum, its a question that comes up regularly:)

kadman

Its a laminated solid timber worktop, easily bought in any decent builders providors. Coens in Galway , or similar outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

kadman wrote: »
    I would imagine you would be better posting this in "Woodcraft" forum, its a question that comes up regularly:)

kadman

Its a laminated solid timber worktop, easily bought in any decent builders providors. Coens in Galway , or similar outlet.

Cheers Kadman :) it's a perfect little project for our box room. The desk and single bed wouldn't look as jammed in then :)

Mods feel free to move this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Mods feel free to move this thread :)

Post moved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Almost looks like Kitchen countertop....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ill have a look for you tomorrow i have some solid kitchen worktop also have a good few of them brackets that are holding it up would you have a size of it

• Advertisement

Hey peter,

We were thinking 2 x 122cm and 2 x 112cm lengths?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

any lumber yard

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

From the colouring and ends it looks to me like pine lamwood - probably scandanavian from possible small knot patterns. It comes in various widths and lengths similar to sheet materials - could be 25mm thick there in the pic?

Thanks for the info Reader. As I said I am a complete newbie at this, so any advice or info is much appreciated :)

Thanks for the info Reader. As I said I am a complete newbie at this, so any advice or info is much appreciated :)

Lamwood is strips of real timber glued (laminated) together to give strong timber in far greater widths and lengths than is naturally available. Most widely available is pine of various grades, but you can also get it in hardwoods for things like solid stairs parts and counter tops (oak, beech, iroko, etc..). As I said - the technology is good at this stage and it has very strong glue bonds - I think Tullamore cathedrals roof is held up with lamwood beams.

Getting whatever type of wood you need shouldn't be too difficult for such a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Without the right tools ( at least four sash clamps ) its going to be difficult to glue laminations together - you would also need to insert biscuits or a plywood spline to stop them moving all over the place while clamping......so you might be better off to simply buy laminated kitchen worktop from your local kitchen supply shop.?
    The problem is how to hold them up . I'd imagine you need some industrial sized shelf brackets ??

recipio wrote: »
    Without the right tools ( at least four sash clamps ) its going to be difficult to glue laminations together - you would also need to insert biscuits or a plywood spline to stop them moving all over the place while clamping......so you might be better off to simply buy laminated kitchen worktop from your local kitchen supply shop.?
    The problem is how to hold them up . I'd imagine you need some industrial sized shelf brackets ??

I was thinking of ready made sheets or panels rather than DIY recipio. The 40mm countertop would be heavy indeed and require sturdy support. The pine sheets or panels would be thinner and lighter - easier to cut shape fix and support. There might still be some 30mm countertop out there and I also saw just over 20mm hardwood "countertops" in a large chain. Price would be the decider.

Reader1937 wrote: »
    I was thinking of ready made sheets or panels rather than DIY recipio. The 40mm countertop would be heavy indeed and require sturdy support. The pine sheets or panels would be thinner and lighter - easier to cut shape fix and support. There might still be some 30mm countertop out there and I also saw just over 20mm hardwood "countertops" in a large chain. Price would be the decider.

You can get the melamine type kitchen worktops in 30 or 40 mm width - not sure about the laminated wood tops - probably 40mm for stability.
    You would also need to use square edge stuff unless you have a good saw to cut the post formed ( rounded over ) edge down to size. I'm guessing however you are thinking of laminboard found in builders suppliers. From memory its about 18mm or so.
    Have a look at IKEA - I bought some nice black square edged worktop from them last year.
    Don't be tempted to use standard metal shelving brackets like SPUR - they will flex under pressure when the span gets over 600mm or so which is a bit annoying if using the shelves as a desk.

P.S. I once made shelves out of old flush doors. They are both rigid and lightweight. The only problem is that when you cut them they reveal an 'eggbox' construction but the remedy is to glue in a wooden slip between the cut leaves/door skins and job done.
    They have about 15mm of solid wood around the edges so you can round over with a router to eliminate sharp edges. Self tapping screw will attach them to brackets. Now that's as cheap as you will get !

Advertisement