Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Wall Creeper?

• 09-02-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have a large boundary wall at my house that does not suit for painting due to splash from road, green from trees etc. Basically Iam looking for some plant (creeper) that will grow relatively quickly and cover the wall. .i.e Ivy.

I want it to be a year round plant, not just 3 months of the summer.

Will Ivy start to thicken and crack the wall say in ten years time or can it be trimmed/managed to avoid this and if so what is the best way to go about planting it?

Or any other suggestions of similar more suited plants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

If the wall is structurally sound it wont affect it. If there's cracks in the wall between the blocks though, the ivy will creep into these and may cause damage down the line. Plant close to the wall, it will grow horizontal first which is perfectly normal and then vertical. Have a look at Parthenocissus online, really nice plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

you got me thinking the same thing so just ordered a a few of these Sollya hetrophylla Wisteria and Parthenocissus. whether they compliment each other on the same wall remains to be seen. i just plonk thinks randomly and hope they look good.

Advertisement