Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitting a tiger loop to Firebird burner

• 09-02-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Just the other night I had to spend nearly 2 hours trying to get my heating back going after I ran out of oil, my system for some reason is really hard to get air out of..

Anyway some has mentioned a Tiger Loop... I have looked online and seem that basically your oil feed goes to the Tiger loop and then to the burner... But there is a return pipe... Where exactly do you take this pipe from the burner??
    Does it replace the long brass piece with bleed screw in it??

Appreciate the help thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Return connection is also on the bottom of the oil pump next to inlet oil line, it should be marked with an arrow pointing out.
    You might be better off getting a service eng. to service boiler and fit it due to the fact oil pump will need internal bypass screw fitted, which only comes with new burner or spare new pumps. Most service engineers should have them as there regularly fitting new pumps and bypass screws are often left over as they are only required with a tiger loop.

It's not easy to get a bypass screw by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭4JAKE

Ah ok, so you don't get everything you need with the tiger loop... Say a retro fit kit..

Are they worth the hassle to get fitted?
    I remember a guy on dragons den came up with a kind of primer set up that just screwed in place of bleed screw..

My line comes along way running flat along the the ground, so the height of tank is tested by the length it comes running level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

4JAKE wrote: »
    Ah ok, so you don't get everything you need with the tiger loop... Say a retro fit kit..

Are they worth the hassle to get fitted?
    I remember a guy on dragons den came up with a kind of primer set up that just screwed in place of bleed screw..

My line comes along way running flat along the the ground, so the height of tank is tested by the length it comes running level
    Yes,The tigerloop is a good job,It just depends on the cost of getting it fitted plus the additional cost of changing two flexible oil hoses every two years.An alternative solution is a suction pump for when you run out of oil http://www.anglonordic.co.uk/gok-oil-suction-hand-pump.html
    The boiler bleed as shown in dragons den is just a bleed screw.Its not what your looking for

Or just fit an OIL WATCHMAN or APOLLO oil tank gauge, you can even get an app for your phone showing the oil level.

It's cheaper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

4JAKE wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Just the other night I had to spend nearly 2 hours trying to get my heating back going after I ran out of oil, my system for some reason is really hard to get air out of..

Anyway some has mentioned a Tiger Loop... I have looked online and seem that basically your oil feed goes to the Tiger loop and then to the burner... But there is a return pipe... Where exactly do you take this pipe from the burner??
    Does it replace the long brass piece with bleed screw in it??

Appreciate the help thanks

While a deaerator will do the job, this is not what it is designed for and using it regularly in this way will damage your pump.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    While a deaerator will do the job, this is not what it is designed for and using it regularly in this way will damage your pump.

Also sometimes you have to prime the tigerloop, pump and hoses to get it to work after running out of oil.

Get a gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭4JAKE

I know just keeping oil in the tank is the cheapest solution, but you know yourselves some times you just might not have the few quid or it would stop before you get the oil...
    I was thinking of a worst case scenario of when you do actually run out.. Something that would make it easier to get going again.

Thanks for all the ideas

Advertisement