Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU elections rumours 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

Any chance of the 'aul SU "click" being broken up this year and let a newcomer with new ideas into the gang I wonder? Seems like the same old names keep popping up year after year and nothing "new" ever being passed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

Clique yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Any chance of the 'aul SU "click" being broken up this year and let a newcomer with new ideas into the gang I wonder? Seems like the same old names keep popping up year after year and nothing "new" ever being passed?

That's funny - of the 5 positions in the current crew, 3 were brand new SU officers. Their only previous SU interactions would have been as members of C&S committees looking after their own club/soc members.

What more do you want? I'll happily take someone that actually cares about the students and what can be done for them, as shown by the likes of Emma and Caitriona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Popoutman wrote: »
    That's funny - of the 5 positions in the current crew, 3 were brand new SU officers. Their only previous SU interactions would have been as members of C&S committees looking after their own club/soc members.

What more do you want? I'll happily take someone that actually cares about the students and what can be done for them, as shown by the likes of Emma and Caitriona.

Well Emma and Caitriona aren't outsiders to the SU.
    Both also had a massive advantage over outside people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »
    Well Emma and Caitriona aren't outsiders to the SU.
    Both also had a massive advantage over outside people

That's never going to change. The majority of votes come from people who are engaged with the SU/C&S. Those people are obviously going to vote for a known quantity, someone they've had dealings with in the past, someone they know cares about the Union based on their previous engagement as opposed to a wild candidate appearing in the clearing and saying "Vote for me!".

The only way it could ever change is if more people who have no dealings with the SU or C&S vote than those that do, and that's never likely to happen tbh.

• Advertisement

What more do I want? Well I'd like the greater population of ul to be recognized, I'd like someone who goes up and out of their way to communicate with the people outside of those associated with the previously stated clique, I'd like someone new with absolutely no connection with the present ulsu team.

For someone like myself' and a vast majority of the studemt body who hasn't a real interest in the political stance of the ulsu elections, it seems as if the positions are somewhat bias in terms of who runs what year and who they are in association with... I know myself from being a 'class rep' that the su team in general aren't the friendliest bunch to approach if you are the ordinary lad or an outsider. A lot of them like to blow their own trumpets rather make a substantial change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

What more do I want? Well I'd like the greater population of ul to be recognized, I'd like someone who goes up and out of their way to communicate with the people outside of those associated with the previously stated clique, I'd like someone new with absolutely no connection with the present ulsu team.

For someone like myself' and a vast majority of the studemt body who hasn't a real interest in the political stance of the ulsu elections, it seems as if the positions are somewhat bias in terms of who runs what year and who they are in association with... I know myself from being a 'class rep' that the su team in general aren't the friendliest bunch to approach if you are the ordinary lad or an outsider. A lot of them like to blow their own trumpets rather make a substantial change for the better.

Which of the current Sabbats are you talking about? In my experience they're all very open to someone who shows an interest.

I'd prefer to have a sabbat who would actually do their job, rather than going getting thrown out of the stables.

As for the 'who runs what year and who they are associated with'.. That holds some merit. Three of the four sabbats are Kayakers.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    That's never going to change. The majority of votes come from people who are engaged with the SU/C&S. Those people are obviously going to vote for a known quantity, someone they've had dealings with in the past, someone they know cares about the Union based on their previous engagement as opposed to a wild candidate appearing in the clearing and saying "Vote for me!".

The only way it could ever change is if more people who have no dealings with the SU or C&S vote than those that do, and that's never likely to happen tbh.

I have no doubt that it won't it change, I was just pointing out to another poster that the sabats are far from new to the SU. The Kayak club is a power player in ULSU politics.

You've got my vote jonnie

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Cadroc wrote: »

As for the 'who runs what year and who they are associated with'.. That holds some merit. Three of the four sabbats are Kayakers.

Its the usual way of things though isn't it? You nearly always get someone who was either involved in C/S or Class Reps or An Focal or something. They like being involved and giving something back. Generally when someone just wanders in off the radar, they don't get through (that fella Gallery for example running for president)

Kayakers are one of the biggest clubs on campus, requires a lot of work for them to run but they seem to be successful (IVs a 5th time won in a row this year!). So the fact people like Lily and Catriona go on isn't too much of a surprise.

• Advertisement

How many colleges take kayaking seriously though? One , two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Russellynx wrote: »
    How many colleges take kayaking seriously though? One , two?

There's at least 8 colleges that are in the running each year. 14 colleges take part in total. The Kayak Club won the IV's this year by a very very small margin.

how many colleges take it seriously was the question, e.g. just galway and ul have a proper kayak club the rest are just people on the piss

I'd prefer to have a sabbat who would actually do their job, rather than going getting thrown out of the stables.

I don't know who you might be referring to there but as for professionalism, I can't say paddy rockett is completely free from acting the tool in terms of maturity on the job.

Also I don't think it is fair to mix someone's personal life with their profession. People are free to do what they like on their free time but whether they make the right decisions in light of their roles is another debate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

how many colleges take it seriously was the question, e.g. just galway and ul have a proper kayak club the rest are just people on the piss

As well as DCU, DIT, Trinity, UCC, UCD and Maynooth....

You sound like some watchdog from the ICU, clubs just aren't about competing. Irrespective of their competition, running a club still takes a lot of effort and voluntary work from people, they're a large club and they do a lot for their members.

Do we have any concrete names of people running?

yeah i think wright, kilsaran, cemex are concrete names for sure

Good to know we'll have some quality supplies for building that new student centre. A building is only as strong as its foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

Cathal has my vote for PSU. Shame about Emma Porter, I think they did a great job this year. Are the others seeking re-election ? ? ? Any certainties though ? I need to inform myself before I vote.

President
    Tommy Bolger
    Lorna Bogue
    Tríona O'Sullivan
    Mark Nother
    Brian Stewart

Welfare
    Darragh Roche
    Carol Hennessey

Education
    Adam Moursey
    Mike Forde

PSU
    Cathal Ronan
    Tony Sheridan

That list is a mixture of rumours I've heard and names from this page. I'd like to see Ginge run for PSU, he'd do a great job and is well liked in the C&S. Well respected.

I don't know much about most of the names rumoured. Does anyone have any info on them?

• Advertisement

President
    Tommy Bolger
    Lorna Bogue
    Tríona O'Sullivan
    Mark Nother
    Brian Stewart

Welfare
    Darragh Roche
    Carol Hennessey

Education
    Adam Moursey
    Mike Forde

PSU
    Cathal Ronan
    Tony Sheridan

That list is a mixture of rumours I've heard and names from this page. I'd like to see Ginge run for PSU, he'd do a great job and is well liked in the C&S. Well respected.

I don't know much about most of the names rumoured. Does anyone have any info on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Triona O Sullivan and Lorna Bogue are the two real contenders for president from that list. If she does stand, Triona will give Lorna a run for her money.

i want ring side seats for that cat fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

President
    Tommy Bolger
    Lorna Bogue
    Tríona O'Sullivan
    Mark Nother
    Brian Stewart

Welfare
    Darragh Roche
    Carol Hennessey

Education
    Adam Moursey
    Mike Forde

PSU
    Cathal Ronan
    Tony Sheridan

I'd seriously doubt that Adam would run for something in the Union again, he left it last year, and hasn't been involved that much this year, and having spoken to Darragh, I know he isn't running!!!

I would be surprised if Tríona is running. Also does anybody know when Lorna Bogue was the editor of An Focal?

Jester252 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Tríona is running. Also does anybody know when Lorna Bogue was the editor of An Focal?

I'd be inclined to agree with you about Triona, but with all the rumors every year, and she did return to Student Council this year...
    Lorna was editor for An Focal the first year after the Comms Officer was removed, last year I think?

Tríona would be a strong contender. How many members of the International society are there? Shes very well known around the Union etc as well. Be interesting to see if she goes for it.

Reiver wrote: »
    Tríona would be a strong contender. How many members of the International society are there? Shes very well known around the Union etc as well. Be interesting to see if she goes for it.

Nearly 1000 members I think?

Reiver wrote: »

Do study abroad/Erasmus students get a vote? If they do Triona, if she runs, would already have a juggernaut of support before the campaign begins

• Advertisement

Yep. They've been able to vote the last few years anyways. And I think because the way the enrolment is done, the ones from last semester also can vote if necessary. All thats needed is motivating them to do so.

But yeah, that does amount up to ALOT of votes before E-DAY!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement