Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU elections rumours 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

It didn't seem to help out the guy last year. Although I think Cathal got some rule past to stop any email ending in @studentmail.ul.ie to be sent out. He was probably trying to limit the reach of the Kayakers, but it would work against any large club/soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Cadroc wrote: »
    It didn't seem to help out the guy last year. Although I think Cathal got some rule past to stop any email ending in @studentmail.ul.ie to be sent out. He was probably trying to limit the reach of the Kayakers, but it would work against any large club/soc.

The Kayakers also have an advantage of long term members. More people in the club would more than likely met the candidate than international soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

Nominations opened this morning, anyone see anyone with one or sign one? I'd love to get some confirmed names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

Cadroc wrote: »
    President
    Tommy Bolger
    Lorna Bogue
    Tríona O'Sullivan
    Mark Nother
    Brian Stewart

Welfare
    Darragh Roche
    Carol Hennessey

Education
    Adam Moursey
    Mike Forde

PSU
    Cathal Ronan
    Tony Sheridan

That list is a mixture of rumours I've heard and names from this page. I'd like to see Ginge run for PSU, he'd do a great job and is well liked in the C&S. Well respected.

I don't know much about most of the names rumoured. Does anyone have any info on them?

Based on this, here is my two cents:

President
    Tommy Bolger : From what I have seen, someone who is involved in a lot of things SU and C & S. I can see him putting himself forward because of his involvement, but not doing a whole lot either. An example of someone who has their name in a lot of things and mentions that they are involved without doing anything. Wasn’t he in some sort of post in Class Reps Council in 1st Year ? ? Based on my interactions with him I wonder is he doing things because he is interested or is he just taking the piss (and likes being on the piss. A lot. ).

Lorna Bogue : She has a good background in getting things done which has been proven with An Focal and comes across like she would take the job quite seriously which is also important. But I can’t see the typical GAA playing pint drinker being overly interested in her. No offence to the girl but that demographic represents a lot of UL and that is the group she would need to break in order to win realistically. Out of this bunch she would get my vote.

Tríona O'Sullivan : Another person “involved” in a lot of things over the years and a popular figure around campus. She could either do really well in the position or fail miserably. She seems quite informed on a range of topics SU and C & S but being informed is not too difficult if you show any level of interest. Has a good possibility of winning a lot of international votes but I question her leadership potential at this scale. I do not know much about her involvement in Class Reps but I think she was in some sort of position there too ? ? A liability in my opinion.

Mark Nother : Mark who ? ? I do not know much on Mark to form much of an opinion but I think he is involved more so with the SU? ? If he runs I would love to chat to him during the week. I would be very open to voting for him if he has good ideas compared to the others’ experience.

Brian Stewart : A potential dark horse out of this group. Another figure in C & S who is around the place quite a lot but another figure whom I personally could not say has done anything that would make him a stand out contender besides his C & S nomination in the past. I do think that if he was put to the test he could deliver the goods, but it is winning the votes that counts for now.

Welfare
    Darragh Roche : Another person who seems to have a good idea of what goes on and gets stuck in. I can’t imagine him in Welfare though but if he impresses me next week I would certainly take it into consideration. Resigning from An Focal won’t do him many favours either I’d say even though the fact that he stepped into this as a non-sabbat position should really be commended.

Carol Hennessey : This girl popped out of nowhere amongst the internationals. . ? A game plan possibly ? Putting that aside she seems like a nice girl. I want to know her motives for being involved with C & S in general and as WO though before I make my mind up.

Education :

Adam Moursey : I would be surprised if he ran again to be frank. I think this would be a step down from PREZ in his opinion. He lost last year as well. I cannot see him stepping into this post even if him and PR have a good rapport and transition would be smooth. He will have his eyes on something a bit bigger than SU politics at this point. Is Tommy Bolger the next Adam Moursey though?

Mike Forde: Another person who I have never encountered properly to make an educated decision on his ability. If this chap does run I am more than willing to hear what he is about. In all cases if someone does not have the typical SU or C & S background but proven experience in other areas they could give candidates a good run for their money.

PSU:

Cathal Ronan : I will admit that Cathal will get my vote for now. Cathal is a shining example of someone who came out of a non-SU / C & S background and took the bull by the horns and got stuck in. He is the proof that you do not need to be a prominent figure around UL to get into one of these positions but a driving force in the SU while he has in Welfare. He is approachable and I think PREZ would suit him perfectly.

Tony Sheridan : Did Tony make this rumour up himself ? He knows how to get a lot of Facebook likes and appear on reality television but I do not know how this makes him a good candidate ? Tony is great about creating an awareness but that does not translate into a good PSU PREZ. The fact that he has been around for so long though he may have a good idea of what would be good for the PSU, I don't know. I wasn’t around several generations ago when he was an undergraduate so I do not know what experience he has either. Was he in Class Reps Council ? ? Or C & S ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I met Triona O Sullivan today and she didn't confirm or deny anything

• Advertisement

If she runs or not it will be announced on Friday to keep us in suspense. A few others will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

President

Tommy Bolger
    Hear his name a lot. Given his comments already in the thread I said he is running.

Lorna Bogue
    Activist extraordinaire. If she wins the SU might bring in more campaigns. Previous interactions with An Focal might hurt her.

Tríona O'Sullivan
    Surprised if she is running. If she is she will more than likely have the class reps vote.

Mark Nother
    Active in the union. If Tríona isn't running, he might have the SU vote.

Brian Stewart
    Well known in C&S, he'll have a strong voting base at the start

Welfare

Darragh Roche
    Know to the union. IIRC ex-editor of An Focal, if true he might suffer. Personally I find him pretty blunt.

Carol Hennessey
    Think she was/is involved in Class reps. Might split the union vote with Darragh.

If any C&S personality runs, they might edge out the others.

Education

Adam Moursey
    last years loss and distance from the union might hurt him but he has a widely known name

Mike Forde
    C&S and involved in the Union. If it is a low turnout he'll have a nice advantage

PSU

Cathal Ronan

Tony Sheridan

Both are well know, hard one to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Yeah on Carol, she is/was a class rep for English and History. I think shes a kayaker as well~?

Only know a few of the names on the list so its interesting ot hear what they've been involved in. Are the elections week 7 then~?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

Ya, close of nominations is this week Thursday/Friday I can't remember, and then election campaigns start from then, so ya Thursday of Week 7 is when the elections will be held

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Ah I used to love trolling this thread, the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Jester252 wrote: »
    President

Tommy Bolger
    Hear his name a lot. Given his comments already in the thread I said he is running.

Lorna Bogue
    Activist extraordinaire. If she wins the SU might bring in more campaigns. Previous interactions with An Focal might hurt her.

Tríona O'Sullivan
    Surprised if she is running. If she is she will more than likely have the class reps vote.

Mark Nother
    Active in the union. If Tríona isn't running, he might have the SU vote.

Brian Stewart
    Well known in C&S, he'll have a strong voting base at the start

Welfare

Darragh Roche
    Know to the union. IIRC ex-editor of An Focal, if true he might suffer. Personally I find him pretty blunt.

Carol Hennessey
    Think she was/is involved in Class reps. Might split the union vote with Darragh.

If any C&S personality runs, they might edge out the others.

Education

Adam Moursey
    last years loss and distance from the union might hurt him but he has a widely known name

Mike Forde
    C&S and involved in the Union. If it is a low turnout he'll have a nice advantage

PSU

Cathal Ronan

Tony Sheridan

Both are well know, hard one to call.
    I dont know who Mark Nother is but I see president as a race between Triona and Lorna Bogue. Triona is very popular and has done great work with the international society

Darrage Roche was indeed editor of An Focal. Hes a very nice guy but not suited to welfare IMO.
    Dont know who Carol Hennessy is.

I would be surprised if Adam Moursy runs but they are 2 strong candidates for Academic if he does

Again with tony Sheridan, I dont see it until he has finished his Phd

Any confirmations?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Any confirmations?

Tony Canning is 1000% confirmed for President :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

Tommy Bolger - guy seems very politically unaware, very loose of tongue and seems to have filter, very kob like in how inappropriate he is for this position , nobody will vote for him
    Lorna Bogue - bright girl but inherent sexist nature of su politics will go against her unless she can't mount some kind of kayak club style block voting like herself before her, previous failures at an focal are a big negative too
    Tríona O'Sullivan - again if she can make up for ppl generally not liking female presidents she should walk this
    Mark Nother - who
    Brian Stewart - if he stays off the sauce he's in eith a shot, looks like hr will be picking up where rocket left off

Welfare
    Darragh Roche - I spoke with him and I basically don't think can lower himself to enter a popularity contest such as this, really doesn't like to lose. I think he'll sit this one out again.
    Carol Hennessey - who?

Education
    Adam Moursey - absolutely not, your done, move on, go to dublin or London stop hanging round here
    Mike Forde - never heard of him

PSU
    Cathal Ronan - great guy but time to move on, sling your hook Mate, more to the world than. The mid west
    Tony Sheridan - perfect guy for the role, it's s bull**** position that doesn't require any technical skill or ability, just turn up and talk shirt to ppl job basically made for him,
    Ginge young - clown shouldn't be entertained. Needs to move on

I heard that Tríona and Carol are running as a ticket today.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I can confirm that Tony Canning will neither confirm nor deny the above quoted level of involvement and/or non-involvement in the upcoming elections, if indeed any elections actually happen rather than a Putin style takeover by the current President.

One thing is for sure, the speculation level will be watched this year again - the ridiculous, transparent insults, praise and contradictory posturing by friends and adversaries of any possible candidate will be watched this year again. It's always good for belly-laughs.

Actually, I will confirm: No, I 1000% will not be running for president of SU. I have a real job (I [kind of] had to emigrate just like most teachers) and will be putting my energy into trying to bring a FabLab to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Russellynx wrote: »
    Education
    your done

Belly laugh #1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Russellynx wrote: »
    inherent sexist nature of su politics will go against her

Could you go into that in a bit more detail? I don't know the inner workings of the SU or C&S that well, but aren't 2/3 of the officers this year female? The last time there was 5 officers (2011?) 2/5 were female.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Could you go into that in a bit more detail? I don't know the inner workings of the SU or C&S that well, but aren't 2/3 of the officers this year female? The last time there was 5 officers (2011?) 2/5 were female.

It was actually 3/5.

Little known pointless fact; 2013/14 is the first time a male student has not sat on the University Governing Authority. I think it's sad that that's noteworthy, but being familiar with GA, I'd be pretty certain it was a point of conversation, in fact it was a point of conversation that I was the only male of the 3 students in 11/12.

Did anyone else spot Tommy Bolger walking around in a suit yesterday? I get the feeling if he got elected he'd make a joke of the union and undo all the hard work of Emma and Adam.

• Advertisement

President

Tommy Bolger
    He was first year rep back four years ago, didn't do a wonderful job. Any time I've seen him since he's been rat faced. Wouldn't even give him my final choice vote.

Lorna Bogue
    Intelligent girl, good speaker. Unfortunately she seems to be more talk than action if we judge her on the anticlimax that was SoUL Week. Wouldn't be my first choice off the bat, and I would be worried about the affect her personal ideologies would have on the SU.

Tríona O'Sullivan
    I've never heard anything bad about her, and the few times I've met her she's been a great person to deal with. President of the International Society in her final year, which is an impressive feat in its own right. Seemed to migrate from Class reps to C&S, but now straddles both worlds. If she runs she could be tough to beat.

Mark Nother
    Another person who would have strong support from Class Reps. If I remember rightly he was a CoOp Student in the SU with Liz, so would have a strong working knowledge of what goes on in there. Depending on his manifesto and hust he could steal my vote.

Brian Stewart
    I don't see him running this year. His campaign would be something for the history books if he did decide to run.

Welfare

Darragh Roche
    Don't think he'll run to be honest.

Carol Hennessey
    International Society committee, so like tríona could have a strong backing from the word go with the internationals. I think someone mentioned she might be a kayaker, if that's true then she could be a strong contender.

Education

Adam Moursey
    Would be foolish to run again. His failure to get re-elected last year by such a large margin (did he come third or fourth?) should be enough to tell him it is time to move on. Don't think he'll run.

Mike Forde
    Don't know who this guy is, at all. Looking forward to figuring it out this year.

Hopefully this year is more like last year, than the year previous with activity.

I heard that Moursey is not running and Cathal is going to PSA PREZ in the scholars not so long ago . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Lorna Bogue is definitely running anyways. She was going around earlier with a nomination form for signatures. So that is one confirmed at the very least.

+1. Bogue spotted with nomination form. May or may not have signed this myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wolverine Wolfpack

Brian Stewart - President
    Sean Murphy - Education
    Tadgh O'Donovan - Welfare

Announcement released on behalf of respective campaign managers.

#wolvesinthewhitehouse

297351.JPG

Here is a chronicle of the boys getting their nomination forms today and the beginning of the Wolverine Wolfpack takeover!

297352.JPG
    297353.JPG
    297354.JPG
    297355.JPG
    297356.JPG

Just after signing out their forms the lads said they would get a quick photo before the campaign got up and running.

297359.JPG
    297360.JPG
    297361.JPG
    297362.JPG
    297363.JPG

Well wishes from this years Sabbats and the Union.
    297367.JPG

Celebrating with their Campaign Managers:

Brian Stewart (President) - Clare Caniff
    Sean Murphy (Education) - Fearghal Fitzgibbon
    Tadgh O'Donovan (Welfare) - Leanne Dunphy

297368.JPG
    297369.JPG
    297370.JPG
    297371.JPG
    297372.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Jesus. For the love of god I hope they don't get it.

They look like awful tools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement