Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalled Windows 7. Needs Product Key.

Options
  • 09-02-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

So I have a Dimension 9200 that I want to get rid of. It originally had Vista since '06/'07 and I got it upgraded during the Summer in a shop for free (Genuine and activated). However, after a few weeks it started to freeze when not in use every five minutes, and I have a Windows 7 disc lying about that a family member had from a second-hand laptop they bought.

So, I reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) yesterday and everything works fine now, no more freezing. However, the laptop didn't come with a Product Key, and now I have no way of activating this desktop.

Is this a huge issue? Is there anyway of getting a Product Key for free?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Is there a windows.old folder on the c drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭IXIKALIMAIXI

mp22 wrote: »
    Is there a windows.old folder on the c drive?

I can't find it. I could have accidentally deleted it when I was cleaning out space on the hard drive. Would restoring the desktop get it back?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Might work if you do a system restore back before the clean out.

sugarman wrote: »
    Sounds like it wasn't genuine then, a licence key costs in and around €80, why would they give you one for free?

Did a week work experience in the shop as part of a L.C.V.P. course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No you are screwed, the only way you can do a re-install like this is to get the key off the old install before you nuke it and then re-install the same version of windows as before with the old key then ring MS and get them to re-activate the already used key, telling them your HD died or similar.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    No you are screwed, the only way you can do a re-install like this is to get the key off the old install before you nuke it and then re-install the same version of windows as before with the old key then ring MS and get them to re-activate the already used key, telling them your HD died or similar.

I did write down a key before re-installing the new Windows 7. it something like xxxxx-OEM-XXXXX-XXXXX I believe. Also, the new version I installed was the same as I one I got from the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you need a dell disc to restore or you can try this

try reinstalling from recovery partition

As the computer starts, keep pressing <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Reinstall Vista and use the product key from the computer, window seven wont activate becaues it did'nt ship with computer, its not OME

Tried restoring the system and it still didn't work, probably leave it... Thanks for the help guys. Might just re-install Vista.

If I leave Win7 on this desktop without activating, what happens?

Managed to find a product key on a laptop. The desktop is now activated.

Again, thanks for the help guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That doesn't make it genuine, it will eventually come back to bite you or the new owner if the original owner of that key connects to the 'net and tries to do updates.

Ken

Advertisement