Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Tips!

• 09-02-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I don't know if there has been a thread like this yet, so I thought I'd make one.

I'm currently in the middle of my mocks and I have Maths paper 1 and Geography tomorrow. (I'm taking a ten minute study break right now) and I'm trying to learn off a four page Geoecology question!

This biome has my brain fried, nothing seems to be sticking in my mind.
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips on trying to learn off things de ghlanmheabar

Feel free to share any study tips and tricks that you use and feel work well!

As for my tip; when learning Roleplays for Spanish or Sraith Phictuir for Gaeilge, I record myself saying each paragraph, pop in my headphones and listen to it as often as I can. This should work for most other languages too, I think. You just might get sick of the sound of your own voice by the end of it :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

I don't know if there has been a thread like this yet, so I thought I'd make one.

I'm currently in the middle of my mocks and I have Maths paper 1 and Geography tomorrow. (I'm taking a ten minute study break right now) and I'm trying to learn off a four page Geoecology question!

This biome has my brain fried, nothing seems to be sticking in my mind.
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips on trying to learn off things de ghlanmheabar

Feel free to share any study tips and tricks that you use and feel work well!

As for my tip; when learning Roleplays for Spanish or Sraith Phictuir for Gaeilge, I record myself saying each paragraph, pop in my headphones and listen to it as often as I can. This should work for most other languages too, I think. You just might get sick of the sound of your own voice by the end of it :P
    At one of those study skills seminars i was taught that saying something 3 times embeds it in your mind. For geography i learn it sentence by sentence and say it 3 times religiously and then i repeat so in the end if i can say the whole essay 3 times then it sticks. May sound obvious but if you actually stick to doing it thrice and not twice it works!Witchcraft stuff here :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

For learning anything: Say it out loud and not in your head. So read it learn it then say it out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Use as many senses as you can, sound sight, touch, speak. The more you use apparantly the more likely you are to remember. The SQ3R method is good http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQ3R (skip to the process section)

Some good advice from the mocks.ie website under study guide and study tips http://www.mocks.ie/InfoAdvice.aspx

My own personal advice to you from experience is don't just study the predictions, in English our teacher got it so wrong and I'd taken a risk and only studied the predictions and one other. So even if its a cram a couple of nights before the exam it's worth it!

Skoool.ie tips http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre.asp?id=295

Also this is definitely worth a look, 5 memorization tips you wish you had known for exam time:
    http://blog.oneclass.com/2012/01/25/top-5-memorization-techniques-you-wish-you-knew-for-exams/

Studying just before you sleep and first thing in the morning worked for me for geography exam, then a quick glance over before going in. I failed my mocks and got a B in the exams that way. Also I spent a week getting super organised with all my notes so they were clear and summarized to read, took 2 days off school to do it and it made such a difference. Good luck op!

• Advertisement
Advertisement