Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staining shotgun stock

Options
  • 09-02-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I lads I'm after some advice,at the moment I'm taking off the varnish on my old beretta stock and when finished would like to darken the timber and then give it an oil finish..
    What type of stain would be best to use
    And also what type of oil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Don't know anything about stain, but I used boiled linseed oil on my sxs and hand rubbed it in over a period of a few months it comes up lovely, you can also get those bottles of walnut oil.

You wouldn't want to go too deep either with the sanding or you'll have to reseal the timber.

You could very easily make a balls of it if your not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Some oils you can get tinted a colour. As far as Stan goes it depends on how dark you wanna go. My advice would be test everything on scrap wood first. And its proberly best to get the same would that your stock is made out off.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

Thinking about it now I would be better off with a dark oil,just saw something on Google that stain and oil don't mix that good and I could get a bad finish

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

I use stock oil on my gun hand rubbed in just before and after the season comes up lovely got it in Courtlough

Still stripping old finish off with Nitromirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

HI BERETTA MAN

Strip with nitro moors

Next step is key

You need to sand down the stock using progressively finer paper and after each sand, lightly rub with water to raise the grain, let dry and sand again

Start with fairly rough paper and finish with really find sandpaper. If you take your time and do this right you'll end up with a lovely finish.

To stain you have lots of options in terms of buying a woodstain. I ebonised my stock which means using a special mix to actually darken the wood rather than just staining it. If you want to do this then
    make up a stain as follows

Use about a jam jar 3/4 full of apple cider vineger and put in a piece of really fine steel wool about half size of jar.

Shake up and wait a week. The steel wool will have dissolved and you now have an ebonising stain. The more layers the darker the end results.

After you put on the stain you should lightly sand again

Finally use your oil and follow the instructions. I would use birchwood casey tru oil as it leaves a hard finish for wear.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

You probably know but I used a stiff toothbrush on the stippling when stripping varnish. It'll be worth it when you're finished ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I know the expensive british gunmakers use a stain called alkanet root dye, it gives the stock a lovely colour, i don't think its actually brushed or painted on to the stock ,its mixed in with the oil so it stains as the finish is rubbed in.

photosmart wrote: »
    HI BERETTA MAN

Strip with nitro moors

Next step is key

You need to sand down the stock using progressively finer paper and after each sand, lightly rub with water to raise the grain, let dry and sand again

Start with fairly rough paper and finish with really find sandpaper. If you take your time and do this right you'll end up with a lovely finish.

To stain you have lots of options in terms of buying a woodstain. I ebonised my stock which means using a special mix to actually darken the wood rather than just staining it. If you want to do this then
    make up a stain as follows

Use about a jam jar 3/4 full of apple cider vineger and put in a piece of really fine steel wool about half size of jar.

Shake up and wait a week. The steel wool will have dissolved and you now have an ebonising stain. The more layers the darker the end results.

After you put on the stain you should lightly sand again

Finally use your oil and follow the instructions. I would use birchwood casey tru oil as it leaves a hard finish for wear.

best of luck

Going to try this method,on the way to get apple cider vinegar..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

i used a walnut stain on mine then finished with birchwood casey tru oil, came up excellent and if you don't want a shiny finish you can rub it over with a fine steel wool to give it a matt look, just a tip for when your sanding the stock when your down to your very fine sand paper go over the stock with a steam iron, it lifts any loose fibres and takes and dints out of the wood, leaves a serioulys smooth finish then when sanded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

goss101 wrote: »
    i used a walnut stain on mine then finished with birchwood casey tru oil, came up excellent and if you don't want a shiny finish you can rub it over with a fine steel wool to give it a matt look, just a tip for when your sanding the stock when your down to your very fine sand paper go over the stock with a steam iron, it lifts any loose fibres and takes and dints out of the wood, leaves a serioulys smooth finish then when sanded.

Yep tru oil does a lovely finishing job (pretty sure you can get a pack with steel wool and all) and the iron trick does a great job if taking dents out but use a thick damp towel over the stock to lift the dent with the iron.
    Take the stock off for sanding but where metal meets wood put it back on so you don't end up with rounded edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

another tip is to get some walnut or whatever wood your stock is and do some trialling to get the shade you want

Advertisement