Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crusties?

Options
  • 09-02-2014 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I was in Galway at the weekend, and the place was absolutely crawling with crusties.... what is it about the city that attracts so many of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway has a big art community and a friendly athmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I was in Galway at the weekend, and the place was absolutely crawling with crusties.... what is it about the city that attracts so many of them?
    Takes one to know one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Big Tom Mainliner

biko wrote: »
    Galway has a big art community and a friendly athmosphere.

I'd say the barbers don't do too well. Some of these lads looked like they hadn't had a haircut or shave in years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

there hasnt been crusties in galway for 20 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunno where you were hanging out, but I was in Galway too, didn't see one anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

*Reads opening post*
    *checks date to make sure thread hasn't been resurrected from 1993*
    *scratches head*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Dunno where you were hanging out, but I was in Galway too, didn't see one anywhere.

Could be a hang up from his childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

OP didn't you accidentally get booked to open for Hendrix at one point because of your name? Appearances can be deceptive! :pac:

inisboffin wrote: »
    OP didn't you accidentally get booked to open for Hendrix at one point because of your name? Appearances can be deceptive! :pac:

Was that not New York where all the junkies turned up to see the Mainliners, and all Big Tom was singing, was about his gentle mother. They thought it had a meaning like "Who Left the Cake out in the Rain".:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

flynnlives wrote: »

Exactly (apart from the odd appearance of the hardcore one who must be in his 50's by now and drums on the dustbin outside Evergreen while drinking a can of druids and playing the tin whistle through his nostril) Big Tom,how would you define,or spot a crustie?

• Advertisement

Owldshtok wrote: »
    Exactly (apart from the odd appearance of the hardcore one who must be in his 50's by now and drums on the dustbin outside Evergreen while drinking a can of druids and playing the tin whistle through his nostril) Big Tom,how would you define,or spot a crustie?

I'm talking about the lads with the alpaca hoodies, greasy dreadlocks who were smoking doobies on shop street...

I went over the bridge down towards the Roisin and the place was full of long-haired stoner looking types.

I'm talking about the lads with the alpaca hoodies, greasy dreadlocks who were smoking doobies on shop street...

I went over the bridge down towards the Roisin and the place was full of long-haired stoner looking types.

There not crusties, they are UCG students.

There not crusties, they are UCG students.

Most of these were people in their late 30s or 40s. Although perhaps they were students. They certainly didn't strike me as being in gainful employment anyway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sure everyone outside of Castleblaney must look like a crustie to Big Tom McBride.

Most of these were people in their late 30s or 40s. Although perhaps they were students. They certainly didn't strike me as being in gainful employment anyway :cool:

They say the smoking of the weed will make you look twice your age.
    Its called wrinklesporium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Can't link to the video directly, but here's the site it's hosted on. Linkovitch

Love the dedication "This one is dedicated to the crusties and hippies smoking the ‘erb down by the Spanish Arch." :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

flynnlives wrote: »

Plenty of crusties knocking around Galway. You must have a different definition of a crusty to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For some people a crusty is anyone that looks even remotely hippy-ish.
    I know a guy that would fall into that category. Mid 30s he had a successful business and sold it, still lives off the big pile of money he got and studies yoga all day every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I wish I could find a link to an article about so called 'crusties" in Galway from a newspaper. I'd say it was about 10 years ago since I read it. Basically, a reported went amongst them for a week in Galway. The vast majority of them were from rural backgrounds most notably north Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Can't stop thinking of this every time I read the word.

158341.jpg

Why not hippies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

newkie wrote: »
    Why not hippies?

Personal hygiene? :(

Fey! wrote: »
    Personal hygiene? :(

Personal hygiene wise, I'd prefer to sit on a bus beside any crustie over a 'clean cut', old spice smelling, short back and sides, p*ss, booze and puke soaked suit wearing raceweek lout any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

All I saw, and heard, was the rally crowd. But Galway does have a fair selection of hippie types drawn no doubt by it' bohemian arty reputation. Was there a protest in town about the mad one who took a stroll at the airport and is now rotting in the big house for a couple of weeks. That always brings them in. They love their protests against the capitalist hegemony and the ruling class world view.....Man! Plus the pubs are great.

But to me many of the 'hippie' type are merely certain middle class types rejecting their parents attitudes by dressing differently yet expensively in order to express their individuality by dressing just like all the others expressing their individuality.:)

folbotcar wrote: »
    All I saw, and heard, was the rally crowd. But Galway does have a fair selection of hippie types drawn no doubt by it' bohemian arty reputation. Was there a protest in town about the mad one who took a stroll at the airport and is now rotting in the big house for a couple of weeks. That always brings them in. They love their protests against the capitalist hegemony and the ruling class world view.....Man! Plus the pubs are great.

But to me many of the 'hippie' type are merely certain middle class types rejecting their parents attitudes by dressing differently yet expensively in order to express their individuality by dressing just like all the others expressing their individuality.:)

I think you hit the nail firmly on the head there!!

Definitely seemed like the types who think that growing a beard, dodging soap and chanting slogans at dubious anti-establishment protests makes them artistic.

You see a loot of people in their late teens and early 20s going through that phase. Thankfully most grow up, and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Personal hygiene wise, I'd prefer to sit on a bus beside any crustie over a 'clean cut', old spice smelling, short back and sides, p*ss, booze and puke soaked suit wearing raceweek lout any day!

They wouldn't be too different!!

I don't think of crusties and hippies as being the same. Any "hippies" I've met have been clean and well mannered (long braided hair does not equate to dirty), wheras a lot of the "crusties" I've encountered have had an air of menace about them, as in not far off getting violent if they don't get their own way. I know that a lot of people see them as being the same group.

Fey! wrote: »
    They wouldn't be too different!!

I don't think of crusties and hippies as being the same. Any "hippies" I've met have been clean and well mannered (long braided hair does not equate to dirty), wheras a lot of the "crusties" I've encountered have had an air of menace about them, as in not far off getting violent if they don't get their own way. I know that a lot of people see them as being the same group.

Semantics I suppose. A lot of my mates years ago would be called Crusties - it was (and is) an interchangeable term with hippies. A lot did / do tend to be in the arts, work on organic farms etc, but an equal amount would be carpenters, fishermen etc! At one point anyone with baggy trousers and long hair was open to being called a crustie. And if you had a dog, woe betide you if your lead was unconventional! :p
    Like *anything* there are good and bad elements in all groups. Nothing quite as mean, as a mean hippie in my books! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Can't link to the video directly, but here's the site it's hosted on. Linkovitch

Love the dedication "This one is dedicated to the crusties and hippies smoking the ‘erb down by the Spanish Arch." :cool:

that is truely a whole new level of awfulness that you have inflicted on me. brutal

Advertisement