Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator Bias and Censorship in Atheism & Agnosticism

Options
13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I wish I was as surprised that you claim you don't notice as you apparently are that it happens, but I'm not.

BB, I'm not going to play chapter and verse games. This is not my forum, and this is not my ban. I will let you know next time it happens.

jadedly,
    Scofflaw

Won't be a next time. Anyway, all the best.

Jadedly
    Brown Bomber

Seriously though if nothing else and for your own sakes you need to establish sooner rather than later if "homophobe " is personal abuse and if the opinion of holding that marriage between a man and a woman is the ideal is de facto homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What various forums? I only post in 2. These are my bans:

pm_new.gif 08-08-2010 Automatic Ban Lift from: Islam
    17:00 boards.ie
    pm_old.gif 13-11-2010 Automatic Ban Lift from: Conspiracy Theories
    23:00 boards.ie
    pm_new.gif 26-08-2011 Automatic Ban Lift from: Conspiracy Theories
    15:00 boards.ie
    pm_new.gif 20-04-2011 Automatic Ban Lift from: Conspiracy Theories
    13:00 boards.ie
    pm_old.gif 05-05-2013 Automatic Ban Lift from: Conspiracy Theories
    20:00 boards.ie
    pm_old.gif 28-12-2013 Automatic Ban Lift from: Atheism & Agnosticism
    01:15 Boards.ie
    pm_new.gif 07-01-2014 Automatic Ban Lift from: Politics
    02:15 Boards.ie
    If he says you have 10 bans, I'd take his word for it.

Because from my panel, you've had 12. That includes a reversal or two

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Overheal wrote: »
    If he says you have 10 bans, I'd take his word for it.

Because from my panel, you've had 12.

He didn't say I have 10 bans. He said I have 10 bans that aren't from Penn or Robin.

Anyway, I am genuinely sorry to have been a burden to you this evening. I really do appreciate your efforts and at least approaching this with an open mind.

Must sleep now. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If you took away the bans given by Robin and Penn I would have a virtually Clean record.

Considering the vast majority of your posts are in the forums modded by myself (Conspiracy Theories & 9/11) or robindch (A&A), this is completely understandable and not in any way an indication of moderator bias.

Modutils shows you have 12 bans. One of which (by me) was overturned in DRP. Another two of the bans given to you by me counted for the same thing as I banned you from the 9/11 subforum where I also meant to ban you from the main forum, so that should also count as only one instead of two.

That brings your tally to:
    1 ban from robindch
    3 bans from me
    6 bans from others (4 of which are also from the CT and A&A forums, but other mods)

So no, you would not have a virtually clean record, because it means the majority of your bans were given by other mods, and that still doesn't imply that the bans given by myself or robindch were incorrect (with the exception as previously stated of one being overturned in DRP (and another being reduced from 2 months to 1), it just means we were the mods who happened to take the mod action required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

y'know its exactly this kind of shifting-goalpost-arguing that makes dealing with you such a chore BB. I've doen it in the past, at length, where I've tried to be polite and helpful but in the end it had to be a short , sharp, NO because you just keep pushing and changing your stance to push some more.

fact: your record stands at 7 - 12 - 12

you know well that you have to go to DRP to appeal a ban but instead you have decided to use Feedback as a kangaroo court to try to tarnish the mods that banned you instead.

as Scofflaw points out, even without bans form Penn and Robin you'd still have nowhere near a clean record and , personally I think you should have gotten a siteban for the politics ban you picked up in January.

You made one prediction correctly. This thread is locked but not for the reason you suspect. you have brought this matter to the attention of the admins and we thank you. We will review the situation and background and decide what action needs to be taken given the claim of bullying you present.

• Advertisement

thread closed for admin review.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jernal wrote: »
    I'm not going to discuss any of the recent comments in the thread as I see there's multiple reports and I haven't read a single one of them. :p Robs been afk overseas (the bastard!) and I've been swamped by RL issues so cover was a little lighter than anticipate and forum activity has been a lot more frequent than the norm.
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Reading the thread, that's what I see as well - a thread running too fast for the best possible interventions (and at the weekend).
    I'll hold my hand up here - this weekend I knew Robin was away and Jernal was likely afk and said I'd try and keep an eye on the place. Unfortunately I was swamped over the weekend too (haven't posted since Friday!) with RL stuff and hence the train steamed on without a driver.

I just wanted to address the point made about the thread being allowed degenerate to the point it did. Normally A&A is in better hands than mine.

OK, here's the upshot of this.

I will be contacting BB by PM as the particulars of the issue are between him and the admins and not for public consumption.

the general "broad-strokes" are:

1. that thread was out of control and there were way too many personal attacks, from both sides of the aisle. No-one had the common sense to just step back and walk away?

2. BB , you reported two posts from that thread and each time you continued to post away.

3. Moderation was lacking in that thread. Granted this has been identified as some crossed wires in RL with mods being busy and the cover they arranged being busy. It happens.

4. Bullying. seriously? This is exactly the type of behaviour I was talking about when we had the feedback thread on bullying. BB behaves in a certain way, when everyoen gets pissed off about it and gets annoyed he calls it bullying because it could never be his fault..... no, it wasnt bullying, it was genuine disagreement to a disagreeable participant in a discussion.

5. I will be reviewing the A&A thread and retro-actively applying warnings to ANYONE that made a personal attack on any other poster.

6. There was a case of Moderator bias in my opinion. Users like Brown Bomber were allowed be deliberately contrarian and post even though they had no interest in discussion, they just wanted to browbeat others into seeing things their way instead of allowing for someone else to be more right than they are. Why? I think its because they are afraid to ban a user that disagrees with the majority because they fear the creation of an "echo chamber" where everyone is always in agreement even if it means they have to do ten times the amount of work and take ten times the level of stress required. Boards.ie encourages discussion, accepts disagreement and provides a platform for debate. We do NOT allow soapboxing, browbeating, trolling or generally disrupting the community for your own amusement. Dog with a bone protection of position, ignoring points from other posters, denying the possibility of being corrected even when multiple sources of evidence are provided is not a form of discussion, debate or disagreement. Its just timewasting and aggravating others. This is something we need to have a discussion about. "We" as in the site. Users , mods , cmods and admins. I will start a feedback thread to discuss this and I hope users will feel free to voice their opinion.

BrownBomber is not entirely to blame for the issues in that thread but neither is he blameless, just like his track record is far form clean even if you remove the two mods that infract/warn/ban him the most. It should also be noted that just because one mod performs an action, it does not mean that action is being taken without the support of the other mods of the forum.

This thread stays closed. any further discussion or appeal by Brown Bomber will be done in the DRP.

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement