Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Box Problems

• 09-02-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've got a 5 year old Corgie cross who's obedient (sort of), friendly (definitely), and a really great companion. Unfortunately, she's giving me a problem recently.
    She sleeps outside in a wooden hut, used previously for the dog I had before her. Problem is, that hut (kennel) is almost 15 years old and faling to pieces. So I got a replacement from a guy whose own dog had done a runner. Trouble is, she won't go near it, even when I put her favourite food in for her. Even putting her food just outside the door of the hut won't entice her to approach. I've washed and disinfected it, using loads of bleach and hot water, but it's had no effect. Any ideas? It's kinda bad weather for her to be sleeping out in the garden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Its terrible weather for a dog to sleep outside without shelter..Would you not bring in her until you get something sorted or just let her stay in the house.....since she is a great companion surely she deserves some home comforts.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can you not let her sleep inside? If shes adamant she doesnt want to use the kennel then please bring her in somewhere cosy and warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Please bring your dog inside, she doesnt like her new kennel... could be for many reasons:

1. Smell of the old dog
    2. Size of the kennel -too small or too big they wont use it ie not cosy, too cold, draught etc

Please bring her inside the weather is terrible at present, how would you like sleeping out in the elements in the current weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

cocker5 wrote: »
    Please bring your dog inside, she doesnt like her new kennel... could be for many reasons:

1. Smell of the old dog
    2. Size of the kennel -too small or too big they wont use it ie not cosy, too cold, draught etc

Please bring her inside the weather is terrible at present, how would you like sleeping out in the elements in the current weather!
    I've brought her in for the crappy weather, but it's not a long-term solution. Her old one is still there which she still wants to use, but it's falling apart and can't last much longer. The new box is roughly the same size as the old and definitely less draughty. I've washed it out with hot water and bleach to get rid of the other dog smell. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

compo1 wrote: »
    I've brought her in for the crappy weather, but it's not a long-term solution. Her old one is still there which she still wants to use, but it's falling apart and can't last much longer. The new box is roughly the same size as the old and definitely less draughty. I've washed it out with hot water and bleach to get rid of the other dog smell. Any ideas?

Can you maybe repair the old one?
    as in leave it as add some planelling on the side, new felt on the roof, wouldnt cost alot.. maybe raise it on small blocks off the ground to stop the damp / cold etc. get her some vet bed too its great for keeping her warm and dry.

You could try entising her with a stuffed kong, filled with pate? most dogs cannot resist.

theres no real way of forcing her to like the new kennel... dogs are creatures of habit, she wants her old one. Honestly i would try and repair it.

Sell the new kennel and with the money buy some supplies to fix up the old one - everybody happy. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

dogs cannot suffer the smell of bleach or any type of strong cleaning fluid.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I had this problem with a dog bed. When we got the first of my current dogs, he refused to use the bed from my previous dog - and we never solved the problem. He took the stuffed toy that was attached and demolished it and that was the only interaction he'd have with it. We got another bed (new) and he happily slept in that. The 2nd dog loves the bed and did from the day he arrived - and stores all his treasures under the pillow!!

I think you may have to give up. 5 years in our fella will not get into that bed - and he's a good, obedient dog. I've managed to get both of them into the other bed for a photo op - and while he wasn't too happy about it, he did what he was asked to do. But nothing will get him into that other bed - whatever smell/association it has for him.

I know the state an old kennel can get into - could you build around it, that way she has the kennel she wants and the extra wall/roof outside will seal the draughts.

Good luck with it!

dogs cannot suffer the smell of bleach or any type of strong cleaning fluid.........
    Funnily enough, I used Dettol to clean her old hut before I brought her home from the shelter. She loved it from day one! Maybe I'll try that.
    @spur; she had a dog bed she didn't like, I gave it to the sister for her dog, he loves it!
    Weird animal!

Update on this one. I finally got the stubborn little brute to use her new dwelling. I used the "gradual enticement" method. Since she wouldn't go into the box willingly, I decided to place her food bowl closer and closer each day, until she got to eat right at the door of her new place. Then the bowl went inside; and she didn't even notice!
    Thanks for all the advice, folks.

Advertisement