Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2014 (NON Spoiler Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Just waiting on the backlash and everyone crawling out of the woodwork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are Jedward on the outs with Lulu and Simon as they weren't back for final?

I thought I read somewhere that they were banned from the show. I think it was in a red top so I'm not too sure how reliable that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to make it big without Cowell's help though.

Jedward?

Simon certainly didn't play a part in their Eurovision adventures...

(But then, nor did he play a part in Andy Abraham's.)

:o:o:o:D:D:D;););)

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    sure there are 2 or 3 of s club 7 doing musicals. H from Steps was/is doing musicals in London.

only reason for me knowing this is because one my friends is still a big s club 7 fan.
    MelanieC wrote: »
    S Club 7 were brilliant!!!! I still listen to their cd!

Jo, Paul and Bradley have performed in pubs and clubs as S Club 3 for the past six years... ;)

S-club-3.jpg

Have to say this year was great for female eye candy.Ben,Jake,Jack,Jay and Paul was very cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

^^ It gave a good variety! Paul was the only one I thought was cute but I can see why people would like the others, it was a nice mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

eye candy wise for us girls has been rather good this year :D and it helps that i love guys with that rocky grrrrrr in their voice :o:o

eye candy wise for us girls has been rather good this year :D and it helps that i love guys with that rocky grrrrrr in their voice :o:o

Me too:o:o:o

for those of us who have ITV 2 X-factor best bits will be on tonight at 8pm and ben's winner's week will be on sunday at 7pm. :D i have no doubt tv 3 will have it on at some point over christmas week.

Wonder if Bens best bits will include his sausages.:o:D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

its notable that 90% of comments about Ben are about his looks.... ;-)

Well he wasnt hit with the ugly stick but if you look back over the thread,we have discussed his singing[and his sausages]:D
    The competition is over but the BHAS is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,276 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

All "good innocent clean banter" :p

dubstarr wrote: »
    Well he wasnt hit with the ugly stick but if you look back over the thread,we have discussed his singing[and his sausages]:D
    The competition is over but the BHAS is alive and well.

exactly, i do remember we did discuss he was off key on one particular night and his rocky tones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

exactly, i do remember we did discuss he was off key on one particular night and his rocky tones

big difference between being on key and being a potential star! he is a good singer but i couldnt see him having any unique selling points apart from looks. people like Andrea, paul, lauren etc were better singers and people like Fleur, only the young and even the "posh" one had more distinctive presence and stage command. it goes to show you that although ben merited a high placing he won mainly due to his looks in my opinion. the fact that he topped all weeks from week 4, some of which he was very average shows that he was still receiving high votes regardless of his weeks exortions. fair play to him but i dont think he will be around long, mainly due to the fact simon doesnt seem too enthusiastic about him! fleur is the big winner, andrea will do ok, stevi will become the next clown in the media, may get a show, OTY will possibly do ok, lauren will struggle tbh, she looks like a rabbit in headlihhts on stage and Jake will take his top off for a few photoshoots and (hopefully) fade away)

nut i really cant see ben making any significant impact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

big difference between being on key and being a potential star! he is a good singer but i couldnt see him having any unique selling points apart from looks. people like Andrea, paul, lauren etc were better singers and people like Fleur, only the young and even the "posh" one had more distinctive presence and stage command. it goes to show you that although ben merited a high placing he won mainly due to his looks in my opinion. the fact that he topped all weeks from week 4, some of which he was very average shows that he was still receiving high votes regardless of his weeks exortions. fair play to him but i dont think he will be around long, mainly due to the fact simon doesnt seem too enthusiastic about him! fleur is the big winner, andrea will do ok, stevi will become the next clown in the media, may get a show, OTY will possibly do ok, lauren will struggle tbh, she looks like a rabbit in headlihhts on stage and Jake will take his top off for a few photoshoots and (hopefully) fade away)

nut i really cant see ben making any significant impact!

this. it was a very poor year.

Ben is a one trick pony and won't be around for long, id put money on it. Fleur is far more marketable and shes not a hectic singer either.

You need something extra to have a successful solo career as a male of a certain age. And despite his looks, Ben doesn't have it.

He may find a career in TV or get a role in Hollyoaks or something, and it is very noticeable that his appeal (on a show designed to find the next big musical act) is his appearance.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, its a shallow enough audience. An artish like Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran would not get within an asses roar of winning this show as they simply don't look "hot" enough. Sure they are talented, but we'd hear some guff about neither having "the full package".

Ben Haenow is 29 years old, i'm guessing he has probably never written a song in his life, so unless he does possess some talent that hasn't become apparent in his time in music before this show, then id imagine his main achievement will be playing a lead character in the drama show that was Xfactor 2014 (and every other xfactor).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

As my o/h said last week "he won't sell many singles but he'll sell a lot of calendars".Another Shane Ward situation here, a decent looking guy with an ok voice but no talent. It sums up this show for me.

Well im gonna disagree,i loved him from the beginning.Somebody with a decent rock voice.has but you dont need to be a belter of a singer to be successful.Also Lauren i find boring and i did like Fleur im just glad Ben won.

Fleur needed heavy backing tracks an her voice isnt that strong.Andrea cant see him setting the charts alight either.Whereas i think there is a market for someone like Ben.As long as he gets the back up from Cowell and he doesnt give it all to Fleur.I think he will give it his best shot.
    I think thats all you can ask and he deserves it.

• Advertisement

plus when he is given the right song that suit his voice. mel b said that herself on sunday night you can see where he's meant to be

seriously "i will always love you" was not a song for him at all. its a very hard song to sing for anybody, other than Whitney.

looking back on it now, Fleur is just all hairography

Yes when he sang AC/DC and Demons it was brilliant.He just needs the right songs.At least give him a year and see,dont write him off now.Let him enjoy his win.

plus when he is given the right song that suit his voice. mel b said that herself on sunday night you can see where he's meant to be

seriously "i will always love you" was not a song for him at all. its a very hard song to sing for anybody, other than Whitney.

looking back on it now, Fleur is just all hairography

"Rock singers" like Ben should be writing their own music, it's a different genre. When you are at the mercy of a record company hoping they "give you songs" then being a rock singer means sweet f-all.

There's a market for someone like Fleur, singing and dancing, looks good etc.... Simon Cowell may be a lot of things but naive is not one of them, he knows this that Fleur is more marketable.

When they don't write their own music you are limited with what you can do with a singer, great rock songs are not usually written for xfactor contestants.

"Rock singers" like Ben should be writing their own music, it's a different genre. When you are at the mercy of a record company hoping they "give you songs" then being a rock singer means sweet f-all.

There's a market for someone like Fleur, singing and dancing, looks good etc.... Simon Cowell may be a lot of things but naive is not one of them, he knows this that Fleur is more marketable.

When they don't write their own music you are limited with what you can do with a singer, great rock songs are not usually written for xfactor contestants.

Elvis Presley never wrote any of his songs,nor did Whitney Houston or Diana Ross.And anyway we dont know he doesnt write cause X Factor doesnt really give you a chance to sing your own songs.Only other peoples.
    I thought this thread was light hearted,dont take it so serious.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Elvis Presley never wrote any of his songs,nor did Whitney Houston or Diana Ross.And anyway we dont know he doesnt write cause X Factor doesnt really give you a chance to sing your own songs.Only other peoples.
    I thought this thread was light hearted,dont take it so serious.

Not taking it serious just providing a balance to the argument that he is going to be a star.

Mentioning the guy in the same breath as Whitney Houston and Elvis Pressley has seen the thread hit a new low though :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

As my o/h said last week "he won't sell many singles but he'll sell a lot of calendars".Another Shane Ward situation here, a decent looking guy with an ok voice but no talent. It sums up this show for me.

I thought Shayne had a great voice and lots of talent. He should have been much bigger than he was. Maybe if he had had the same backing and promotion as One Direction got, he might have made it bigger.

I also think Ben has lots of talent and has already expressed a desire to write his own rock album, rather than bring out a typical Mother's Day covers album

http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-x-factor/206563-x-factor-2014-winner-ben-haenow-plans-to-write-his-own-rock-album.html

Whether he's given the freedom to do that or not remains to be seen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I also think Ben has lots of talent and has already expressed a desire to write his own rock album, rather than bring out a typical Mother's Day covers album

http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-x-factor/206563-x-factor-2014-winner-ben-haenow-plans-to-write-his-own-rock-album.html

Whether he's given the freedom to do that or not remains to be seen....

Am I the only one here who doesn't trust TellyMix or its chief editor? :o:o:o:o:o;)

Anyway, unlike Sam B last year, Ben has competition for the top of the UK charts on the 25th - Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars, and... this. :o:D:D;);)

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/18/could-the-wealdstone-raider-be-no-1-for-christmas-football-fan-is-a-late-contender-with-surprise-hit-got-no-fans-4992050/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Murphy7777

this. it was a very poor year.

Ben is a one trick pony and won't be around for long, id put money on it. Fleur is far more marketable and shes not a hectic singer either.

You need something extra to have a successful solo career as a male of a certain age. And despite his looks, Ben doesn't have it.

He may find a career in TV or get a role in Hollyoaks or something, and it is very noticeable that his appeal (on a show designed to find the next big musical act) is his appearance.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, its a shallow enough audience. An artish like Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran would not get within an asses roar of winning this show as they simply don't look "hot" enough. Sure they are talented, but we'd hear some guff about neither having "the full package".

Ben Haenow is 29 years old, i'm guessing he has probably never written a song in his life, so unless he does possess some talent that hasn't become apparent in his time in music before this show, then id imagine his main achievement will be playing a lead character in the drama show that was Xfactor 2014 (and every other xfactor).

"An artish like Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran would not get within an asses roar of winning this show as they simply don't look "hot" enough. " James Arthur won it………….

Murphy7777 wrote: »
    "An artish like Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran would not get within an asses roar of winning this show as they simply don't look "hot" enough. " James Arthur won it………….

this quote right here :D spot on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Murphy7777 wrote: »

In fairness I think you will find a lot of people who would agree with what the poster said (that you quoted)

Using James Arthur as an example is a double edged sword, care to enlighten us as to how his career panned out?

Shane Ward? Steve Brookstein? Joe McElderry? Matt Cardle?

I'd also be interested to hear what Ben fans define the word "talented" as? I presume in the context of a show like this, talented is the ability to have major people give you priority in terms of writing songs for you.

One direction and Olly Murs are not particularly talented, rather they have enough pull to get really talented song writers to work with them.

In what way is Ben Haenow talented? Genuine question. He has a decent vocal ability, is a really good looking dude (bear in mind his looks won't get him far in music at the very top end where people will say "what else have you got?")
    The next big rock star won't come from a show like this it tends to happen more organically in that genre.

Fleur is equally limited vocally but she is quite current, can dance and sing at same time (hardly top quality stuff but it's something Cowell probably sees as being a blank canvas).
    It's blatantly obvious she will be the one who is pushed hard, however her career is also in the lap of the gods as she is at the mercy of whoever will write music for her.

Advertisement