Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2014 (NON Spoiler Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the internet is awesome, usually miss these kind of live events. he's on google live earlier, he said he wants to do a rocky/bluesy album.

James Arthur is very talented musician, and before he came on the show he did have some problems, sadly those problems got the better of him after he finished with the x-factor. no one knows where musicians nowadays will be in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Murphy7777

Jayob10 wrote: »
    In fairness I think you will find a lot of people who would agree with what the poster said (that you quoted)

Using James Arthur as an example is a double edged sword, care to enlighten us as to how his career panned out?

Shane Ward? Steve Brookstein? Joe McElderry? Matt Cardle?

I'd also be interested to hear what Ben fans define the word "talented" as? I presume in the context of a show like this, talented is the ability to have major people give you priority in terms of writing songs for you.

One direction and Olly Murs are not particularly talented, rather they have enough pull to get really talented song writers to work with them.

In what way is Ben Haenow talented? Genuine question. He has a decent vocal ability, is a really good looking dude (bear in mind his looks won't get him far in music at the very top end where people will say "what else have you got?")
    The next big rock star won't come from a show like this it tends to happen more organically in that genre.

Fleur is equally limited vocally but she is quite current, can dance and sing at same time (hardly top quality stuff but it's something Cowell probably sees as being a blank canvas).
    It's blatantly obvious she will be the one who is pushed hard, however her career is also in the lap of the gods as she is at the mercy of whoever will write music for her.

"In fairness I think you will find a lot of people who would agree with what the poster said (that you quoted)

Using James Arthur as an example is a double edged sword, care to enlighten us as to how his career panned out?"

How is it relevant how is career "panned" out afterwards? The poster said that an artist like them would not win the show because they are not hot enough, I simply stated that James Arthur won it, that ok with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Keep it civil, lads, keep it civil...

And listen to this.

:o:o:o:o:D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

If you want some Harvey, I'll give it yer

• Registered Users Posts: 86,276 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As my o/h said last week "he won't sell many singles but he'll sell a lot of calendars".Another Shane Ward situation here, a decent looking guy with an ok voice but no talent. It sums up this show for me.

I was surprised Shayne didn't manage to break America as he had the look and the voice like Justin Timberlake, was Lulu his manager as he was his act?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Not taking it serious just providing a balance to the argument that he is going to be a star.

Mentioning the guy in the same breath as Whitney Houston and Elvis Pressley has seen the thread hit a new low though :-p

I was only answering a question about him not writing his own material.I just gave some examples of extremely talented people who also didnt write their own music.
    I didnt imply that Ben is in the same league as the above mentioned.
    Fleur needs a big backing track and she was straining on Sunday.You could here her.
    I was just saying as my opinion its about time that someone other than a big voice won and i for one am delighted for him.Doesnt make me wrong or you right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Can't get enough of it right now, love this song! :pac:

2PrUGL6.jpg

yay!!! not the only one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I think where Olly Murs scores is that he has buckets of self confidence and can really work a crowd. Ben Haenow, sadly does not have a lot of self -confidence and this is where he will fall down. He can't rid himself, mentally, of his past as a van driver.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Yes when he sang AC/DC and Demons it was brilliant.He just needs the right songs.At least give him a year and see,dont write him off now.Let him enjoy his win.

I agree if he is given the right songs and works with the most suitable writers and producers for his voice (of course if Simon allows as Fleur does seem to be his clear favourite) he could do very well

I think Ben has the likeability factor too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I agree if he is given the right songs and works with the most suitable writers and producers for his voice (of course if Simon allows as Fleur does seem to be his clear favourite) he could do very well

I think Ben has the likeability factor too

everyone said James Arthur had the likeability edge but in the end he was one of the most unlikeable contestants!

shayne ward was likeable as was matt. in fact few if any were unlikeable bar J.A. in the end.

i honestly think he is too likeable, too easygoing and too emotional in a way that it may impede his drive. Fleur on the other, you can see she knows where she wants to go and has worked on everything from her image, her dancing her body and her vocals to achieve this. Bens efforts through most weeks, at the end of the day were very good karaoke, nothing that would get you really talking.
    any solo male artist out there has at least one or two Unique selling points and i really cant see one in Ben, taking aqay his looks, which isnt unique in itself.
    (look at how bland shane filan is now that he is on his own, but he has notierity through westlife so he will sell a few shows)

i hope he makes a living but i think it will be another moment in spotlight scenario. lets not forget also he isnt that young to be starting out in the industry. it was so obvious by the way simon half heralded his coronation that he doesnt feel he is going to be a cash cow, likeable or not!

We dont know how unique Ben is yet do we.And Fleur there is a 100 like that out there,who can sing,rap and dance.I think at this stage thats a no brainer.And his voice is unique which you cant say for Fleur.Andrea good vice but very limited as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

We dont know how unique Ben is yet do we.And Fleur there is a 100 like that out there,who can sing,rap and dance.I think at this stage thats a no brainer.And his voice is unique which you cant say for Fleur.Andrea good vice but very limited as well.

I don't know why you think Ben's voice is unique. There are guys with similar voices singing in pubs across the country every Saturday night.

The market isn't flooded with female rappers, there are a handful of very successful ones out there right now. But that's what sells records at the moment.

I'll be shocked if Ben is successful. Lovely guy, decent singer but bland.

Right can we get this thread back where it should be.Lighthearted and fun.And its been renamed BHAS.

if his voice is so unique why is it autotuned to sound poppy on the cd........ (oh no he didnt just say that did he... !)

Right can we get this thread back where it should be.Lighthearted and fun.And its been renamed BHAS.

hae now, noone said this is strictly a lighthearted thread as you keep saying! i dont think discussing the limitations of the winner is that heavy discussion anyway! if you want to put forward a lighthearted chat, go ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

:confused:

There have always been debates in this thread. No one's arguing, it's just a discussion.

So he has limitations as a singer,so does everybody.Im not saying hes gonna set the world on fire or hes the best thing sliced bread,i just said i preferred him over Fleur.Which i do.

I can't help but notice that not many people here are paying any attention to the Wealdstone Raider... :o:o:o

Of course, you don't have to pay any attention to him if you don't want to. :);)

But it can't be denied that he is challenging Ben for the Christmas #1 spot... :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »

I think Ben will get to No. 1 in the UK

*clears throat quite loudly*

:o:o:o:o:o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Isn't Ireland normally the guaranteed number 1 for them?

2003 Will Young "Leave Right Now"
    2004 Band Aid 20 "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
    2005 Mario Rosenstock "Gift Grub/Leave Right Now"
    2006 Leona Lewis "A Moment Like This"
    2007 Leon Jackson "When You Believe"
    2008 Alexandra Burke "Hallelujah"
    2009 Joe McElderry "The Climb"
    2010 Matt Cardle "When We Collide"
    2011 Little Mix "Cannonball"
    2012 James Arthur "Impossible"
    2013 Sam Bailey "Skyscraper"

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Isn't Ireland normally the guaranteed number 1 for them?

2003 Will Young "Leave Right Now"
    2004 Band Aid 20 "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
    2005 Mario Rosenstock "Gift Grub/Leave Right Now"
    2006 Leona Lewis "A Moment Like This"
    2007 Leon Jackson "When You Believe"
    2008 Alexandra Burke "Hallelujah"
    2009 Joe McElderry "The Climb"
    2010 Matt Cardle "When We Collide"
    2011 Little Mix "Cannonball"
    2012 James Arthur "Impossible"
    2013 Sam Bailey "Skyscraper"

Well, not this year. :o;)

no x-factor tonight. :(

as for irish number 1. i like uptown funk song. its catchy. clearly they felt threatened by how well Fleur did with the version. hehe

Im getting withdrawl symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    no x-factor tonight. :(

as for irish number 1. i like uptown funk song. its catchy. clearly they felt threatened by how well Fleur did with the version. hehe

Gone are the days that we get a christmassy number 1 for this time.

Also... yes. Getting withdrawals here too! Nothing that a take away can't fix!

nope, not even harry potter is working right now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    nope, not even harry potter is working right now

Not watching the BBC dancing show? ;)

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Not watching the BBC dancing show? ;)

i have my limits. i can deal with the jungle and eating creepy crawly things, i can deal with the bad singers and the good ones. but nope not the bbc dancing show, because for one they don't have Dermot O'Leary and Ant and Dec

Advertisement