Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2014 (NON Spoiler Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Just catching up on the show now. Lots of good singers in the boys category. Good to see Paul back this year. Simon annoyed me with his comment "well I'm here this year". Fair play to Louis he had his reasons for not putting Paul through last year so he has nothing to apologise for.

Completely agree! I was going to post the same thing. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Louis' decision to send him home last year, he had his reasons and didn't need to apologise for anything. Tbh I think he made the right decision. Paul wasn't oozing confidence and really needed to set himself straight before going on to the live shows. Really hope he has worked on all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Really enjoyed last night's show. There seemed to be a lot a good singers on it. Are the producers going down the road of editing to show some actual talent this year instead of showing rubbish acts and drama?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

That Raign woman sounds like a nightmare. Some very good auditions tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Interesting the way mel b and louis say yes to raign first time around. They obviously weren't enjoying it and when it came to a verdict, they said yes without even trying to justify it, while still looking pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Jake is back and he gave me goosebumps singing Say Something, Louis to me this season is just copying what the others say it's like he doesn't have his own opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Another good episode again tonight. A fair few more people worth rooting for. I can see it being a very good competition this year.

Mel is fast becoming my favourite judge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

After last weekends episodes I honestly thought that this year was going to be the one to kill the show off. But in fairness.... both episodes this weekend were very good. High on 'drama', but most of the other attention-seeking wasters got relegated to the Xtra Factor which is fine by me, perfect for a bit of light entertainment after yhe serious stuff.
    Really impressed with the talent in boys and girls sections but I don't seem to recall a single group that was anything better than average....
    That Reine/Reyne/Rain one did my head in. Unfortunately I can see her going a bit further but I seriously hope I'm wrong. There's always one act every year that I absolutely despise and I have a horrible feeling about her....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I don't like Rain's tone of voice, but in fairness, I have to admit her second audition was better than her first. I think Simon was right to give her a second chance.

On the show tonight I was remeinded of that horrible, unfair selection process they had last year of "singing for a seat on a chair". I sincerely hope that is scrapped this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I don't like Rain's tone of voice, but in fairness, I have to admit her second audition was better than her first. I think Simon was right to give her a second chance.

On the show tonight I was remeinded of that horrible, unfair selection process they had last year of "singing for a seat on a chair". I sincerely hope that is scrapped this year.

Oh I totally agree about Raign's second audition. I just don't like her. At all. Not one iota. I get this thing about one act a year and nothing or no one will convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Eyepatch wrote: »

I believe they're going with it again this year, as there was a story about Cheryl getting booed at bootcamp for swapping what the crowd believed to be better singers in the chairs for 'quirkier' ones. This apparantly made her - shock horror - cry.

I agree that it's a really terrible selection process and should be scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

It's heart-breaking for those who have won a seat earlier to have to hand over their seat to someone who has sung later. It's not entertaining to watch someone suffer so much at the hands of the producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,280 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

SCD won Sunday's ratings war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    SCD won Sunday's ratings war

That stopped being surprising ages ago. :D;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That stopped being surprising ages ago. :D;)

It was a surprise to Cowell's ego! He thought his return would help them smash ratings.

I think the bigger surprise was, it was a close battle haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So it's going to be aired on a Friday now..

http://m.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0910/642805-x-factor-v-strictly-war-now-spreads-to-fridays/
    The X Factor has declared all-out war in its UK ratings spat with Strictly Come Dancing.The ITV singing competition will air on Friday, September 26 as well as on Saturday, September 27 and Sunday, September 28.
    According to Digital Spy, ITV sources have defended the move, suggesting they are unable to fit in a long-enough episode of The X Factor on Sunday nights as the ITV schedule also includes the returning Downton Abbey and the rebooted Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

Maybe if they cut out half of the adverts they could fit in the "long enough" episode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This ratings war between Strictly and XFactor is getting a bit petty. But hey I suppose that's why they invented Sky+

I can see XFactor getting their arse handed to them on that Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Loughc wrote: »
    This ratings war between Strictly and XFactor is getting a bit petty. But hey I suppose that's why they invented Sky+

I can see XFactor getting their arse handed to them on that Friday night.

I do hate the commercials myself though I have to say, I'd prefer to watch xfactor live and then watch strictly another time on sky plus. We'll soon see in the ratings how many are like me.............

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I missed both episodes last weekend and only got a chance to catch up last night. Was very pleasantly surprised, the vast majority of the singers were good or great! Really glad they have toned down the joke acts.

I'm liking the chemistry between the judges. Cheryl annoys the hell out of me with her fakeness but I still have a weird fondness for her :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I feel Simon brings back something thats been missing for a while. For the life of me I cannot understand why Cheryl is back, eye candy for some, maybe.
    Mel is getting into her stride, and I think she will outshine Cheryl before the end of the run for her "as it is" attitude.
    And Louis, well he is still Louis. Just wish he would stop head butting Mel's shoulder.

So bootcamp is supposed to whittle the singers down to the best few dozen or so and they let crappy acts like that weird old duo through for just for laughs?

Ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Right I'm calling it now. Paul to win.

G'wan Paul!

Louis banging on about doing the right thing, lol. He bumped Paul off for Sam Callahan last year because of aesthetics, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

jubella wrote: »
    Right I'm calling it now. Paul to win.

Looks like it's being set up that way.

Wish Simon Cowell would stop with the "Louis destroyed your life/ruined your dream/etc".

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

As much as I liked Paul last year, he is way more confident this time around. I can't imagine he would have sung Marvin Gaye like that last year.

Hope he does well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Paul is an excellent singer, but the voting public are very fickle

I really liked this Lauren girl in the auditions. I hope she's good here!

Edit: Bit of a boring version of that song, but she does have a lovely voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭CH3OH

As Simon would say : that was not good

It was Very Good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Chezza is breathtaking.

SO many bloody ads! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Lol at Cheryl going "it's amazing how you took that song and made it so current!"

She can thank Sam Smith for modernizing it for her.

Advertisement