Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gpu onlu working to 60% at most

Options
  • 09-02-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

Hey all I just after installing a new graphics card in my system and when playing games it seems to only use 60% of the gpu.It uses 97-99% of the cpu.Fps are in around 30-45

I feel Im being bottlenecked some where but I dont know.
    Here are my system specs:

AMD FX-4170 :over clocked 4.6ghz
    Gigabyte 78lmt
    windfore gtx 770 4gb ddr5 over clocked: clock 1196mhz memory 1926mhz boost 1235
    8 gb ddr3
    coolermaster 600w psu.

Any ideas would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Sounds like you're being bottlenecked by your cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Luck100 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're being bottlenecked by your cpu.
    Even with it overclocked ?

You're using 99% CPU but only 60% GPU. That's the definition of a CPU bottleneck. Your CPU is working as hard as possible while your GPU is coasting along at only 60%. If you're wondering why your GPU isn't running higher than 60%, it's because your GPU is spending nearly half the time waiting for the CPU to catch up.

Would over clocking it anymore help ? I had it to 5ghz but It was getting hot.83c when under load.

That's only another 10% if you go to 5 GHz. Probably not enough to matter. Maybe you can upgrade the processor. Check with the guys at the PC building & upgrading forum. I don't have any experience with AMD cpus.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

damagegt wrote: »
    Would over clocking it anymore help ? I had it to 5ghz but It was getting hot.83c when under load.

What temps are you getting now? You do realise that the max safe temp for that cpu is 61c. Any higher and it could throttle...

Taking this chip to 83c is borderline insanity IMO and could result in permanent damage.

justjustin wrote: »
    What temps are you getting now? You do realise that the max safe temp for that cpu is 61c. Any higher and it could throttle...

Taking this chip to 83c is borderline insanity IMO and could result in permanent damage.
    58c when under load

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Definitely time for a cpu upgrade if you want to make full use of that card.

Your board supports the 8320 or 8350 if you update the BIOS first.

You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap with free delivery.

upgraded from amd HD 7770.Ya I think ill get the 8350.

• Advertisement
Advertisement