Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Laptop Charger

• 09-02-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

My HP Pavilion Dv6 charger has broken after 4 years so I'm in need of a replacement. I don't really wanna buy a cheap knock off one off eBay or amazon because I've had bad experiences in the past.

I've done a search on google and came across this company based in Ireland

http://www.laptopchargers.ie/hp-pavilion-dv6-laptop-charger.html

Anyone bought anything of these? Should I stay away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

James__10 wrote: »
    I don't really wanna buy a cheap knock off one off eBay

http://www.laptopchargers.ie/hp-pavilion-dv6-laptop-charger.html

That's a cheap knock off charger. The only place you will get a good quality original charger is from HP directly. Or buy in you're local computer repair shop, at least then you have a comeback, although anything other than the original charger could fry your motherboard if the voltage is even slightly wrong (the voltage on the charger might not be the actual output).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

GarIT wrote: »
    That's a cheap knock off charger. The only place you will get a good quality original charger is from HP directly. Or buy in you're local computer repair shop, at least then you have a comeback, although anything other than the original charger could fry your motherboard if the voltage is even slightly wrong (the voltage on the charger might not be the actual output).

Aye but I can't afford a proper HP charger from the Hp website so I might take the risk and buy one from the above website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I buy named brand universal chargers as it wouldn't be viable for me to stock chargers for every laptop out there. Don't get less than a 90W one. Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

James__10 wrote: »
    Aye but I can't afford a proper HP charger from the Hp website so I might take the risk and buy one from the above website.

You might want to take a read of this thread before buying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 findersteve

Are you sure it is the charger that has broken?
    The Battery is holding a charge?
    You have checked the 13a fuse in the plug?
    If they are all ok,

"Connect the output cord from the AC adapter to the notebook and plug the power cord into a working electrical outlet. Perform one or more of the following tasks to check the operation of the AC power adapter.
    Check the power icon in the system tray.
    If the icon resembles a power cord, and if moving the cursor over the icon displays the On AC Power message, the AC adapter is operating properly.
    If the icon resembles a battery when the AC adapter is connected, the adapter is defective.
    Check if the AC power adapter can operate the notebook when the battery is removed.
    Do a normal shutdown of the PC.
    Remove the battery from the Notebook.
    Connect the power adapter and press the Power button to start the notebook.
    If the PC does not start and operate normally, the AC adapter is defective and must be replaced.
    If the PC does start and operate normally, the AC adapter is working properly"

This is from HP's website.

I have never bought a spurious charger before but from what I can see is that that charger is the same cheap chargers you would buy off ebay.
    If it was me I would buy the charger (as long as the ratings for the charger state exactly the same current as the genuine charger).
    I presume your laptop is as old as your charger (4 years). I don't think there would be much sense in spending mad money on a genuine charger.
    Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement