Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckleys Hardware/ Pub/ Bicycle Shop, Maynooth

Options
  • 09-02-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a question that I think only people who grew up in Maynooth will be able to answer, (I moved here from Lucan 4 years ago, so am not enough of a local to know!).

Buckely's House (beside the Garda Station and opposite the new Gatehouse restaurant/ formerly Greene's) is up for sale.

I have felt sorry for it since I moved here and have wanted to see it returned to its former glory....preferably by me and my partner....but that's not going to happen this time around!!!

Anyway, having seen it's for sale and only today learning that it is even called "Buckley's House", I did some research about its history and found out some cool information about its links to the 1916 Rising/ DeValera and more.

Part of the research told me that Buckley, (aka: Ó Buachalla) owned a Pub/Shop in town that only closed in 2005....and I never knew about it. Apparently, most of that building was demolished, but the frontage was retained and possesses some interesting windows that were installed at an unusual angle.

This has made me very curious.....and if I can't own his old house, I'd at least like to know where he used to have his shop, so can anyone help me out.

Thanks,

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Londis on Main Street, which rather confusingly is also called Buckley House now.

The frontage was actually removed late in the refurbishment/rebuild, so that's gone. Realistically its the upper front/side walls that remain.

The windows protruded from the building at the base and went back in at a 60 degree angle or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

gwjones42 wrote: »

Buckely's House (beside the Garda Station and opposite the new Gatehouse restaurant/ formerly Greene's) is up for sale.

Love the house. Any idea how much it is selling for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamontoast

Dear G,
    I wish you had bought Buckley House + renovated it! Plse check out the latest planning permission request for the house & surrounding land. It's horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only realistic option for it now. It'll never be a private house again, the restaurant plans have been serially refused.

• Advertisement
Advertisement