Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a dog who love to roll in poo

• 10-02-2014 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I swear to god, the dog is driving me nuts.

Every single time we go out she attempts, and usefully succeeds in in finding the most rancid decayed pile of old poo from bad dog owner and goes onto her back right on top of it and wriggles in right into her coat.

I dont scold her over this and just get busy scraping it off with a stick . Gagging.

It gets over the car and ends up with her in the shower which she hates.

She has been in the shower 3 times this week.

This is really putting me off letting her off the lead for a run , which is unfair as she needs to have a sprint every day.

How do I get her to stop. She is not a treat lover. But responds to flattery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Both my retrievers do it too! :( Are you using shampoo when you wash her off? If so you could be creating a vicious circle because she's trying to mask the smell of the shampoo. I have bandanas on my two - they make a good 'shield' and a lot easier to clean! :p Apart from that I walk them where there's a river/lake/the sea and would get them into the water to wash the poo off. Summertime at the beach is a nightmare - people are too lazy to use the loos on either end so into the dunes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Thankfully its only doggy poo . I hope!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I have the same problem too with my dog. I haven't found a solution and all I can do is minimize the damage.

Walking off-lead I have to watch him like a hawk. I normally shout 'leave-it' if he picks up something he shouldn't. I use the same command if he starts to roll in something and he normally gets up quickly.

My dog wears a coat sometimes so that catches most of it. The washing machine looks after that.

My dog travels in the boot of my estate. I always have spare (old) towels in the car to clean the dog down as much as possible. Then I wrap the dog in large towels for the trip home, both to keep the smell down and stop him messing up the car.

Hopefully warmer weather is not too far away so we can roll down the windows on the way home!

I keep wipes and a bottle of water/vinegar solution (4 parts water, 1 white vinegar) in the car in case we need them. The water and vinegar cuts thru the poo and makes it easier to clean off. I have a boot liner for the car as well to be safe! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Dogs love to roll in doo - in my dogs case it's fox poop which smells awful even after being washed - trying to get to them before the roll may help - also I found just cleaning the area rather than a major wash is better this weather when it's cold and miserable. But mine have yet to roll in dog poo - fox poo is their fav perfume and they find horse manure tasty - ick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    Both my retrievers do it too! :( Are you using shampoo when you wash her off? If so you could be creating a vicious circle because she's trying to mask the smell of the shampoo. I have bandanas on my two - they make a good 'shield' and a lot easier to clean! :p Apart from that I walk them where there's a river/lake/the sea and would get them into the water to wash the poo off. Summertime at the beach is a nightmare - people are too lazy to use the loos on either end so into the dunes :mad:

Winter or summer, Coco will roll in dead fish or dead birds on the beach, horse poo is another favourite!

Winter or summer, Coco will roll in dead fish or dead birds on the beach, horse poo is another favourite!

Lucy rolled in a dead frog at the beach other week lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

Ive got a terrier with what appears to be a fetish for cow poop! ��

My pup rolled in bird/fox poo on Saturday morning - thought it was mud until we got home and she came over to me for a cuddle. I decided the easiest thing would be to wash her and bring the blaster into the bathroom and dry her in the bath - job done and the place wasn't wrecked... The next day she's running around the park all mucky - a neat freak owner exclaimed how dirty she was and nearly fainted when I said she was grand it's just muck and that she had rolled in poo the day before lol! :p (The person uses a glove, bag AND paper when lifting poos!)

Advertisement