Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best pet insurance provider :)

• 10-02-2014 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I've been meaning to do it for a while now, had a look before and I think Allianz were reasonable., something like 25 for 3 (2 dogs, 1 cat)

who do you guys use/recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Stressica wrote: »
    I've been meaning to do it for a while now, had a look before and I think Allianz were reasonable., something like 25 for 3 (2 dogs, 1 cat)

who do you guys use/recommend?

I've been with Allianz for years. They are v reasonable and very good at paying out. My vet said they find them the best to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I gave up pet insurance because they only pay something like 2/3 of the bill, and there's a high excess; I didn't find it good value, though at first it had been - the rules changed later.
    The Indo had a piece recently, though it wasn't very informative: http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/make-me-richer-save-money-on-your-pet-insurance-29991936.html
    Maybe phone around, and ask:
    • What's the annual cost of the insurance
    • Does the cost change as the animal ages
    • What's the 'excess' (the amount you have to pay on any individual treatment before the insurance starts to cover the payments
    • What proportion of the cost will the insurance pay
    • Is there a cheaper deal for more than one animal, and if so, does this continue if one of the animals dies

Can't think of any other obvious questions, but others will probably add to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ive been with Allianz for neraly 9 years now, find them excellent, claimed a fair bit no problem with getting claims processed / refunds. Excess is €100 which isnt too bad if the claim is €100's - we find them really good. Wouldnt be without it for my dog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Think I'm gonna go with Allianz.

The main reason, I want them to be insured is incase os a sudden incident needing some kind of emergency surgery that could potentially be in the high hundreds/thousands.

Although my vet is great and I could pay bit by bit, I think insurance is needed, although i'm not sure yet how it works, just on Allianz's website now reading up :)

My cat is 18, and from the website.. I don't think he is covered? :s

I cant quite figure out from Allianz's website.. one thing.

My jack russell is neutered... my english springer is NOT. .will they cover the springer or just not pay costs of treatments for treating a condition thatg could have been prevented by spaying (eg pyometra) ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Stressica wrote: »
    I cant quite figure out from Allianz's website.. one thing.

My jack russell is neutered... my english springer is NOT. .will they cover the springer or just not pay costs of treatments for treating a condition thatg could have been prevented by spaying (eg pyometra) ?
    Give them a call and get a quote, we've been with them for about 5 years and haven't had a problem. Tbh, the sooner anyone thinking of getting pet insurance gets it the better. We put it off with 2 of our cats and in that time they both had a couple of minor things happen that would have been covered. One of my cats is a bit of a brawler and had been treated for a fight related abcess, he's not covered for injuries he gets from fighting now and those are expensive to have treated.

yeah think I will do, Im also checking out 123.ie as well.. . but allianz looks a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Allianz all the way.

Advertisement