Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Meat-free Dish

• 10-02-2014 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Now, I appreciate that there is a Vegan & Vegetarian forum here but it doesn't get much traffic and if it's not unfair to say so, I've been reading the forum for a long time and they're not all the crazed foodies you'd find here!

We're going nearly meatless for ethical reasons. We'll eat good ethical meat a few times a month and wild fish when we can get it. In between it's veggie from here on.

I'd love if you could all post your favourite meat-free dish along with recipes. We need some inspiration!

For me top of the list is probably a bowl of blue corn chips smothered in home made chunky salsa, guacamole, beans and sour cream. Sweet potato salad with roasted corn and feta a close second.

You?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Baked spiced aubergine piled with toasted pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, dried cranberries, chopped mint, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil and chilli.

Cut aubergine in half along its length. Score the cut surface and rub with cumin. Bake for 30 minutes at 180c. Toast some pumpkin seeds in a dry pan and mix with the other ingredients. Pile on the baked aubergines and serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Minder wrote: »
    Baked spiced aubergine piled with toasted pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, dried cranberries, chopped mint, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil and chilli.

Cut aubergine in half along its length. Score the cut surface and rub with cumin. Bake for 30 minutes at 180c. Toast some pumpkin seeds in a dry pan and mix with the other ingredients. Pile on the baked aubergines and serve.

That sounds *good*.

You've just reminded me of aubergine parmigiana. Mmm. That's one for the repertoire also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Falafel - easy to make an oven baked version, then serve with tzatziki, salad leaves, hummus, tomatoes and pitta

3 bean chilli - a firm favourite in our house. Add chipotle powder to give smokey magic flavour

Quiche - put in anything you like

Risotto - try it with those dried mushrooms you can buy in Lidl. They have a big big flavour and it's delicious

3 bean chilli - a firm favourite in our house. Add chipotle powder to give smokey magic flavour

Can I have your recipe for this? I have made bean chilli a couple of times and found it really unsatisfying. I missed the mouthfeel of meat a lot. But it might be just the way I make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This is a link to a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/16/yotam-ottolenghi-shakshuka-recipe

Domini Kemp did it in the Irish Times a few years ago, but it's now behind a paywall. She reckoned you wouldn't need the water, and that was my experience as well. It's a brilliant brunch dish.

• Advertisement

nompere wrote: »
    This is a link to a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/16/yotam-ottolenghi-shakshuka-recipe

Domini Kemp did it in the Irish Times a few years ago, but it's now behind a paywall. She reckoned you wouldn't need the water, and that was my experience as well. It's a brilliant brunch dish.

Very interesting dish. I had never heard of it. The thought of four saucepans to wash gives me a headache though! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Linda McCartney's Greek Pasta Bake:

http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.ie/2010/03/meatless-monday-layered-greek-pasta.html

I've been making it for years. It's also lovely with goat's cheese in place of the feta, and you could use the tomato/feta mixture as a baked potato filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We eat veggie about half our meals... just because I'd prefer to eat less good quality meat and fish, rather than poor quality every day.

Anyway, our favourites are:

Indian meals: Dahls, chickpea curries (mainly chana masale), baked samosas (this is a cheat, I do spiced spud/veg filling in bought puff pastry).

Mexican: Tortilla soup topped with feta and anchos! Went on a mexican course years ago with thomasina miers, it's her recipe. Feckin gorgeous and very filling. I'll post it at the bottom... Bean Chili. Nachos.

Italian: Pizza... homemade base with passata as the sauce. Any handy cheese, and topped with roasted veg or whatever is handy in the garden/cupboard. Rocket, bottled artichokes, olives, frozen chilis, tomatoes. Blue cheese with pine-nuts and balsamic vinegar, yummo! Less is more with pizza I think. Tend to do max 3 things on top. Sometimes it's just a nice cheese and tomato.

Weeknight Pasta, easy peasy. Two main variations.. tomato based, or cream based. Tomato-based is tinned plum tomatoes, with onions and garlic. Chuck in basil or oregano, and whatever cooked veg is lying around. Top with Parmesan and have with a nice glass of wine or some garlic bread.
    Non tomato based... is usually a carbonara style without the bacon. Cook the pasta, Drain and stir in an egg, peas, grated cheese and some chopped nuts (pine, walnut, hazelnut) and garlic. Drop of cream if you have it. Loads of black pepper.

Fancy pasta: Ricotta and spinach lasagne or cannelonni. Love that stuff. We have a great local Italian deli that does nice homemade tortellini's and raviolis. Most are veggie.

Risotto. Pretty much the same concept as special fried rice. Make bog standard risotto and add random stuff.

Salads. I'm afraid most of my favourites are cheese based... but I'm a cheese nut.

Soups. Thai clear soups (tom yum. I know there is usually a seafood stock base, but as you're just cutting down rather than eliminating... maybe go for it). Mushroom soup. Massive bag of mushrooms whizzed and cooked down to a duxelle. Add stock or milk. Stir in finely chopped RAW garlic at the end, just before serving. Adds a fabbie tang.

Sandwiches! Hot buttered toast with avocado slices. Noms. The glories of cheese on toast with a sharply dressed vinegary salad are hugely underrated.

So, as promised above,
    Tortilla soup.
    From Thomasina Miers

2 tbsp olive oil
    2 onions, sliced
    3 cloves sliced garlic
    30g chipotle puree (adobo)
    2 tins plum tomatoes
    salt and pepper
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp dried oregano (or 1tbsp fresh)
    1 lt stock (veg, chicken or water)
    150 – 200g corn tortillas, blanched in oil

Garnishes:
    Feta cheese cumbled
    Ancho chile strips, (fried to crispy if you have time)
    Tortilla strips (fried to crispy if you have time)
    Chopped coriander
    Sour cream.

Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and sweat over a medium heat for 15 minutes (or more, until very soft) before adding the garlic. Continue cooking for a further few minutes before adding the chipotle, tomatoes and seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes and add the stock. Simmer for a further 10 miutes. Add blanched tortillas and blitz in a processor until the soup is smooth. Add the tortillas one at a time if you are using an immersion blender.

Serve the soup in a jug, with the garnishes in a pile in the bottom of the soup bowls. Pour the hot soup over the garnishes.

Wow, loads of yummy suggestions here, thanks everyone.

pwurple that tortilla soup sounds incredible.

Any chance i could have your bean chilli recipe too? Oh and your spinach and ricotta lasagna recipe? And the samosa one? Sorry! :pac:

• Advertisement

dipdip wrote: »
    Very interesting dish. I had never heard of it. The thought of four saucepans to wash gives me a headache though! :pac:

I do it in one large pan - and make four hollows for the eggs.

nompere wrote: »
    I do it in one large pan - and make four hollows for the eggs.

Genius. On the list to try this month.

I use Delia's spinach and ricotta recipe..
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/italian/pasta/spinach-and-ricotta-lasagne-with-pine-nuts.html

Samosas:
    Spice mix:
    1 tsp Tumeric
    2 tsp Coriander seed
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp Black pepper
    Pinch of salt

Filling:
    1 Onion and 2/3 cloves of garlic softened.
    1 - 2 Leftover cooked potatoes, crushed or mashed.
    (Add mashed cook veg here too if you have it)
    Handful of frozen peas (defrosted under tap)
    2 x tsp of Spice mix (You can use curry powder or whatever spices you have around)
    Chopped chili and coriander (optional)

Pastry... works with either a shortcrust or puff.

Roll out your pastry and cut into big triangles. Put filling on one side of the triangles, fold the pastry over and seal with water or milk. Bake in the oven at 180 degress for about 15 to 20 mins.

Serve with a nice chutney or raita.

pwurple wrote: »
    Serve with a nice chutney or raita.

My mouth is watering at the thought of the samosas. Really surprised that the pastry used is shortcrust or puff. I would have thought it was something more like filo. Can't wait to give this a try.

Bean chili

This is more of an american recipe I think than true mexican, but I like it anyway. I think I've posted it before somewhere too, plus a meat version.

No tomatoes, and can be hot as hell if you use all the recommended chilis (note asterisks = completely optional. I am not responsible for you losing feeling in your lips or tongue!), Keep some sour cream and cold beer at hand. Serve on either tortillas or rice, with salsas, sour cream and jalepnos chopped on top. Also good with some sharp white cheddar grated over it at the end.

Improves further the next day.

I get my dried chili online from here. Delivery to Ireland is 4 quid though, so I usually only buy once a year or so, getting the chipotle in adobo for the tortilla soup as well.
    http://www.coolchile.co.uk/

2 tsp oil
    4 x 400g tins of beans, whatever you like. Drained. (I usually go for kidney, cannelini and black eye, but anything will do. Can also use dried, pre-soak over night and lengthen the cooking times slightly.)
    4 tbsp chili powder
    6* dried ancho chilis
    1* dried chili del arbol chili
    2 dried guajillo chilis
    500mls of cold water
    750mls stock
    2 shallots
    5 (or more, I usually do a whole bulb) large garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp red chili powder
    2 tsp cayenne
    2 tsp ground white pepper
    1 tbsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp mexican oregano (or ordinary stuff)
    1 tbsp cumin
    500mls beer
    4* fresh serrano chilis
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp tabasco
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp masa de maiz/masa harina/mexican corn flour , standard corn flour, or ordinary flour

In large pot, cook onions in oil with 2 tbsp of chili powder and chopped garlic. Add the drained beans.

In the meantime, gently soak the dried chilis for 20 min in 500mls water, reserve the water and food process the chilis with a couple of tbsp of reserved chili water into a paste. Mix this paste into the beans, add 2/3′s of the stock and simmer, covered, for 15 mins.

Stir in red chili powder, cayenne, white pepper, paprika, salt, oregano, cumin, the remaining 2 tbsp of chili powder, remaining chili water, beer, remaining stock. Bring to the boil, reduce to low.

Add serranos, vinegar, chocolate, tabasco and brown sugar, cover and let it come up to a simmer again. Stir in a ladle of stock with the masa harina (or flour), put back in the chili and cook, uncovered, on lowest possible heat for 40 mins, and stir once in a while so it doesn’t stick. It should thicken up a bit.
    You can add boiling water if it’s too thick.

If you can’t get those dried chillis, use the fresh habaneros (the ones that look like little bonnets), available in supermarkets. go easy on them. 2 for this recipe is loads. Chop very finely,I'd even blitz as you don’t want to eat a large piece of them. Use gloves and don’t touch your skin or eyes.

pwurple wrote: »
    Bean chili

This is more of an american recipe I think than true mexican, but I like it anyway. I think I've posted it before somewhere too, plus a meat version.

No tomatoes, and can be hot as hell if you use all the recommended chilis

Looks delicious. I wonder if the reason I've not liked previous bean chillis I've made is because I went too heavy on the veg and tomatoes. Thanks for this. I look forward to giving it a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

tarka dhal, saag aloo and coastal cauliflower curry :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81728629&postcount=6

This is one I posted a while back when we had a recipe of the week thread, it's a terrific spicy cauliflower dish from Maddhur Jaffrey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

dipdip,

Great thread idea. Nothing to add :o but keep 'em comin' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

As a beef farmer's daughter, I kept my new year's resolution to myself - 2 meat free days a week!
    Such fantastic inspiration in this thread. So far this year, have made roast veg pizza and pasta; and veggy curry - alright, but not exciting like some ideas here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I love vegetable lasagne. Diced onions, peppers, courgettes and mushrooms in my ragu, and spinach in my white sauce (I normally do a Philadelphia/milk/cheese sauce), I love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Favourite... oh, it's hard to choose.

I would say at the moment, it's roast butternut squash filled with a puy lentil and caramelised onion risotto topped with grilled feta crumbles.

But it's very much a seasonal thing, in summer nothing beats some freshly made falafel in pita bread with fresh lettuce, onions, cucumber, tsatsiki and houmous.

Oh, and bean goulash, spiced with bay leaves, smoked paprika and just a hint of chili.
    I know the name isn't very tempting to Anglophones, but it's just a warm, comforting hug on a cold day - utterly delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, and bean goulash, spiced with bay leaves, smoked paprika and just a hint of chili.

This is right up my street. I had the stuff cooked in this some years ago:

oldgoulash.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This is right up my street. I had the stuff cooked in this some years ago:

Yum... I'm half-Austrian, so grew up with goulash in all its shapes and forms.
    But I'm finding it hard to find really nice peppers here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Shenshen wrote: »
    Yum... I'm half-Austrian, so grew up with goulash in all its shapes and forms.
    But I'm finding it hard to find really nice peppers here :(

I have found the Irish grown peppers to be best we've got (freshest obviously). Not sure how seasonal they are but haven't seen them for a couple of months or so..

Majority are coming from Spain, Egypt, Morocco etc.

So apparently there is a name for what we are doing: flexitarian.

This is the new word since semi-vegetarian is offensive to some vegetarians (fair enough - semi-vegetarians do eat meat after all!).

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Chips, baked beans, fried eggs and buttered bread.
    Delicious and simple on the days when you cant be bothered making much effort cooking:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mushroom Risotto, or just plain old BBQd Halloumi - mmmmm, squeeky.

Advertisement