Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Meat-free Dish

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

So pwurple I made your samosas. :)

I fried off an onion and 3 cloves of garlic, while two potatoes went on to boil. I defrosted some frozen peas and spinach under boiling water in a colander and then added them to the pan along with chilli, ginger, turmeric and curry powder. I then mashed the potatoes with a knob of butter and stirred them into the spiced vegetables.

I used ready rolled puff pastry which I re-rolled briefly myself to make it thinner and then cut 8 squares from it. I filled each square with the veg/spice mixture, folded into triangles and sealed and glazed them with egg.

I baked them for 20 mins at 180 and served with mango chutney.

All plates cleared. A definite keeper. Thanks a mill! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

dipdip wrote: »
    So pwurple I made your samosas. :)

I fried off an onion and 3 cloves of garlic, while two potatoes went on to boil. I defrosted some frozen peas and spinach under boiling water in a colander and then added them to the pan along with chilli, ginger, turmeric and curry powder. I then mashed the potatoes with a knob of butter and stirred them into the spiced vegetables.

I used ready rolled puff pastry which I re-rolled briefly myself to make it thinner and then cut 8 squares from it. I filled each square with the veg/spice mixture, folded into triangles and sealed and glazed them with egg.

I baked them for 20 mins at 180 and served with mango chutney.

All plates cleared. A definite keeper. Thanks a mill! :pac:

Wow, definitely trying this - delish!

Since college, meat-free meals are a regular enough occurrence in my house, it's just the habit I've gotten into. Plus, working with top-notch beef farmers, I've also decided that fewer meat-based meals with best-quality meat is the way to go.

My favourites would be

Mushroom risotto (I'm obsessed with mushrooms - haven't tried to make any other type of risotto!)

Pasta bake (stir fry whatever vegetables I have, make up a sauce using tinned, chopped tomatoes with onions, garlic, chilli flakes - whatever flavour-y things I have - and plenty of cheese on top)

Spinach and ricotta tortellini (I buy these, though - they're on the list to learn to make) with lots of home-buttered garlic bread

Plain ole veggie stir-fry with noodles and a hape of soy sauce. For such a simple dish, it might be one of my favourites ever. I'm obsessed with crunchy veggies that have just been tossed around a hot wok for a minute or two.

Baked cheesy nachos with a spicy salsa, sour cream and loads of home-made guac. I almost get as much pleasure making the guac as I do from eating the meal :o

Another meal that I love, but I've never made, is a goat's cheese tart. OR any other type of tart/quiche. They're also on the list of things to learn to make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I just wanted to update here and mention that this is working out well for us and we have gotten used to it now. We are eating vegetarian meals most nights, with wild fish a couple of nights and the occasional piece of meat. It's hard to get decent meat where I'm living but the meat in M&S is at least ethically reared and butchered. Oh how I long for the delicious meat of Ireland!

In any case, thanks so much for all your recipe ideas, I am still working through them. And if anyone has any more - bring 'em on. :pac:

Advertisement