Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug and play wiring harness

• 10-02-2014 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi I've seen a quicksilver plug and play wiring harness and the owner said it would be able to be used on my Johnson outboard engine I was just wondering does anyone know if it would or not and are they good

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Quicksilver would be a mercury/mariner harness and I'd say you would have to change the plugs and rewire it to get it to work but the wire colouring should be standard marine.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 topstuff

fergal.b wrote: »
    Quicksilver would be a mercury/mariner harness and I'd say you would have to change the plugs and rewire it to get it to work but the wire colouring should be standard marine.

Would it be just at the engine I'd have to rewire because there's clocks with this aswel for the dash so it should be fine with them wouldn't it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

topstuff wrote: »
    Would it be just at the engine I'd have to rewire because there's clocks with this aswel for the dash so it should be fine with them wouldn't it.

Yep just at the engine, the clocks just have push on connections or ones that are held on with nuts. I just had a look at the add and it looks like they are 3 small clocks maybe battery,fuel, and temp so you might still have to find a matching a REV counter and speedo. At €200 I'd think you would be better off getting the right harness for your engine or just wire it up yourself and buy a nice gauge cluster.

What price would a harness be roughly? Is it a big job wiring from scratch when there's absolutely nothing in the boat. I've done some wireing before but wouldn't be sure on the set up and switchs I've looked at some diagrams online but find them hard to follow. Does the bilge pump need to be wired to be on constant or does that go on a switch and where's the best place to buy the wire and switchs etc. I was also planning on putting a radio in it too and duno what way to go about it. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated

It's quite basic wiring this is the dash I built for my outboard boat.

038.jpg

And this is the inboard, The switches can be got in any marine shop and the wire and connections in any motor factors. The bilge pump only needs a constant live if you fit an automatic switch something you would do if you were leaving the boat on the water for a long time.

20140109_130156_zps13bceaf4.jpg

This is the basic setup.

11666d1172161592-typical-wiring-schematic-diagram-instrumentpanelwiring.jpg

• Advertisement

Any idea where I'd get a fairly cheap power tilt and trim for a Johnson 75hp outboard? Second hand even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Fergal,
    Just looking at your boat photos cheers me up!:) (and makes me feel a little jealous,:o TBH!)

Fergal,
    Just looking at your boat photos cheers me up!:) (and makes me feel a little jealous,:o TBH!)

I used to feel like that to looking at other people's classic boats knowing that I could never afford one so thats why I built one "two" :D If I can do it anyone can, don't put it off till you have the time and the money as that day may never come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

topstuff wrote: »
    Any idea where I'd get a fairly cheap power tilt and trim for a Johnson 75hp outboard? Second hand even

if your engine hasn't had a tilt and trim fitted before, then it can be a hell of a job
    Firstly removing the tilt assist ram due to corrosion can be a real b###h. Also you'll prob be missing the relay box and the switch on the thottle handle.
    A momentary on - off - on switch is what you'll need and 2 single pole double throw relays ( i'm nearly sure depends on the type of t&t), and some wire.

Although a t&t is handy, do you really need it ?
    TRIM_WIRING.jpg

Set of gauges and switches here might be worth a look. http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/control-panel-volt-amp-rev-etc/4822312

• Advertisement

breghall wrote: »
    if your engine hasn't had a tilt and trim fitted before, then it can be a hell of a job
    Firstly removing the tilt assist ram due to corrosion can be a real b###h. Also you'll prob be missing the relay box and the switch on the thottle handle.
    A momentary on - off - on switch is what you'll need and 2 single pole double throw relays ( i'm nearly sure depends on the type of t&t), and some wire.

Although a t&t is handy, do you really need it ?
    TRIM_WIRING.jpg

More than likely not it's mostly for fishing and the likes mostly deep lakes and rivers

Advertisement