Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go See The Real France

Options
  • 10-02-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Just came across this gem of a website which promotes the thousands of Municipal Campsites throughout France.
    These sites which are normally located adjacent to the town/village can cost as little as €5.50 for two people including electricity, however the majority are in the €8 to €12 price range with a few a bit more.

http://www.camping-municipal.org/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

niloc1951 wrote: »
    however the majority are in the €8 to €12 price range with a few a bit more.

More like €20-€30 during the summer months anywhere near the coast or anywhere popular by the time you've added in a few kids there's only a fiver difference with a private site. Definitely look at tripadvisor if you're thinking of boooking in advance, you'll find some of the cheap municipal sites are totally run down or have ridiculous issues like being conveniently located near/next to the municipal sewage plant - common! or near an estuary where the tide can be over 40feet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

moodrater wrote: »
    More like €20-€30 during the summer months anywhere near the coast or anywhere popular by the time you've added in a few kids there's only a fiver difference with a private site. Definitely look at tripadvisor if you're thinking of boooking in advance, you'll find some of the cheap municipal sites are totally run down or have ridiculous issues like being conveniently located near/next to the municipal sewage plant - common! or near an estuary where the tide can be over 40feet etc.

We have used quite a few Muni's and found them excellent value and sometimes adjacent to facilities like the municipal swimming pool. This one at CLUNY is a good example.
    The choice is wide, from really basic to well developed which is probably reflected in the price range.
    For those who are uncomfortable using Aire's and have no desire to pay €50 plus p/n for for or five star sites with onsite water parks, disco's, supermarkets etc., the Muni often hits the spot.

As is said, 'there's horses for courses' ;)

niloc1951 wrote: »
    We have used quite a few Muni's and found them excellent value and sometimes adjacent to facilities like the municipal swimming pool. This one at CLUNY is a good example.
    As is said, 'there's horses for courses' ;)

€18.80 and 400km from the sea

Nothing against municipal sites but you're unlikely to get anything reasonable at €8-€12 during the summer months, even the decent aires charge around €10-€12 peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

€18.80 and 400km from the sea

Nothing against municipal sites but you're unlikely to get anything reasonable at €8-€12 during the summer months, even the decent aires charge around €10-€12 peak.

There's much more to France than the sea. We stayed in a great municipal campsite right beside Lac du Salgou. Loads of entertainment for kids including a waterpark on the lake. It was €14/night in July last year. We stayed in mostly free Aires on the same trip.

Like anything you'll get unlucky sometimes; we stayed in a free Aires which was beside a municipal campsite in Nogent sur Seine. The campsite was literally right beside a huge nuclear power station and within metres of its chimneys, most definetly not an idylic location! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

.... even the decent aires charge around €10-€12 peak.

I've stayed in dozens of Aire's all over France, plenty of them being fantastic spots, and I think only 2 of them have cost €10. Here's a rough breakdown from my experience....

~75%: free
    ~20%: between €4 and €8
    ~5%: more than €8

As Niloc said, horse's for course's - if you demand lots of on-site facilities in a campsite, then you'll pay for it. However, if you're more interested in the actual place you're visiting rather then the facilities where you're parked - there are plenty of well priced options.

• Advertisement

You can't talk about the real France without mentioning France Passion https://www.france-passion.com/

Well worth the €30 for the year but beware the directions are awful but it's all part of the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danny50

thumbs up for that.
    Stayed at one in dompierre sur besbe last year couldn't be any cleaner next door to local aquatic centre last week july and charged €13.10 for 2+1 incl elec and the best of all FREE WI-FI for the +1.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

http://www.camping-arzon.fr/ Either of these two Municipals in Arzon won't disappoint.

pastense wrote: »
    http://www.camping-arzon.fr/ Either of these two Municipals in Arzon won't disappoint.

Looks nice, can people from the aire use the site facilities? If so its super cheap€10 including 2 adults, children under 7 free. Otherwise it looks like €8.50 + €8.60 for two adults + €2.90 for electricity = €20 still cheap.

Moomat wrote: »
    You can't talk about the real France without mentioning France Passion https://www.france-passion.com/

Well worth the €30 for the year but beware the directions are awful but it's all part of the fun!

Cheers, was going to buy the kit last year. Any recommendations? Is there good feedback and recommendations in the members area? Did you encounter any pushy selling?

• Advertisement

Looks nice, can people from the aire use the site facilities? If so its super cheap€10 including 2 adults, children under 7 free. Otherwise it looks like €8.50 + €8.60 for two adults + €2.90 for electricity = €20 still cheap.

I cant answer that one as we stayed in Tindio campsite for 4 nights and it was very good value, very clean and tidy and on the sea edge, easy walk or cycle to Arzon with a Carrefour, bars and restaurants as well as a massive marina.

Here, I mean there, on Il de Re there is an Aire at the entrance to the Campsite with full use of the facilites, always busy so not always possible to get a spot, especially in July/August but outside of those months well worth a stay,

http://www.campeole.co.uk/camping-campeole-le-platin-charente-maritime-381.html

danny50 wrote: »
    thumbs up for that.
    Stayed at one in dompierre sur besbe last year couldn't be any cleaner next door to local aquatic centre last week july and charged €13.10 for 2+1 incl elec and the best of all FREE WI-FI for the +1.

Thanks for that, had a look on the web and it fits the bill perfectly for me. Intending to head towards the Alps this year and thats a perfect stop on the way for a night or more,

Cheers, was going to buy the kit last year. Any recommendations? Is there good feedback and recommendations in the members area? Did you encounter any pushy selling?

We stayed in 3 different France Passion sites and found all the hosts fantastic. I'll try to find the names of the sites and give you some specifics. I cant remember what was in the members area other than a terrible GPS program; we ended up in the wrong garden more than once! :)

The English level of hosts was pretty low even if they were marked as English speaking in the guide but we always managed fine with hand signals and smiles!

I've heard rumours about pushy selling but didn't encounter anything of the sort. In fact we were more than happy to purchase thier products, for example we got enough homemade chicken casserole for 6 servings for less than a tenner, it was the best Ive ever had by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Have to agree about http://www.france-passion.com/gb_formule.php haveing dinner in a vineyard near Bordeaux was one of the hi lights of last years trip.i find its nice to have i night on one after been on a busy site for the privious few days puts i nice mix to the trip

Has anyone tried the android aire apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

I use the one for iOS from Pro Mobil. Very handy ! There's a free version and a fuller paid version. The free works grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Has anyone tried the android aire apps?

Think I had that on my phone this summer. Its linked in with google maps - meaning you need a data connection for the maps to load. No way I was paying roaming data charges just to use the app - the "All the Aires" book which gave GPS co-ordinates did the job perfectly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I use the POIs from this site on my satnav i find it very usefull
    http://archiescampings.eu/downloadpage/
    I see they have a new smartphone app,may be some of you guys that know about apps and stuff could let us know if its any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Along the same lines ('real' France), came across these guys at a show:

http://www.c-sibon.fr/en/7-campistes-in-france.html

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

One thing to consider is opening hours. We were just working our way up through France dodging the winds - aire one day, campsite the next. Stopped at Camping Municipal St Etienne de Montluc near Nantes and found the office was open Monday to Friday. Nice man working on his campingcar called the manager and we were told to park up by the barrier and plug in EHU. One of the nicest showers in last 3 months and free!
    Useful site http://www.camping-municipal.org/campings-ouverts-toute-l-annee.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement