Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding outdoor lights

• 10-02-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

:confused:please help.
    i have a light switch beside my back door and i want to add two lights out in the back garden.
    the light switch has two brown wires and the new lights need a brownwire, a bluewire and an earth.
    there is a motion sensor light already wired up to the switch. so i want to change the single switch for a double switch so i can leave the sensor light on and be able to turn the the new lights on and off when i so desire.

can anybody tell me how to wire up the two brown wires to the new lights that require the three wires(brown,blue and earth).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

You'll need to get an electrician

I think they need rcd protection too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

The two brown wires at your switch is a live feed and the switch live back up to your sensor light. Only the live wire gets broken at the switch so you dont have a nuetral (blue)at that point. You may have an earth there if the back box behind the switch is steel it should be earthed.
    If you plan on bringing the garden lights cable in and into the switch you will need to get a nuetral and earth to the switch also. If its a bugalow you may be able to fish them down the conduit to the switch. On new switch the live feed goes to com terminal and looped to second com terminal. Switch wire for lights (brown) go to L1 terminals and nuetral and earth get joined in connectors and left in the back box. Get your nuetral and earth from your nearest light.
    This is not a straight forward DIY job so if you have no idea what your doing then dont attempt to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 72hangman

Thanks lads. Just my luck. I was hoping it would be straight forward. Well at least i know now. And it will probably save a trip to a&e.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement