Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviving garden for the summer

• 10-02-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

My dog always seems to choose one large area of the garden to wizz and consequently the grass is pretty dead looking there. I want to try rescue the lawn for the summer. Has anybody had any success doing this while having a dog? Any products to recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I hope you can find a solution... and share it!
    My garden is terrible and I haven't been able to solve :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I've seen astro turf mentioned in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

We got these as the dogs were destroying the garden with the constant rain,the muck was unreal,and impossible to keep looking half way decent.

Plant IKP2Z Lawn and Paving Reinforcement Grid Green by Prosperplast http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004PGC9TK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_ey.-sb1XA1Q3Y

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lavin.ie

If you contact Celuplast http://www.rubberlok.com/products-grass-grids.htm in Baldoyle they have the ritter paving, It takes a bit of work to install correctly but it worth it. We usually install ritter paving in over-flow car-parks, in front gardens where there is desire to retain lawn but have extra parking and fire access roads over grass areas.
    Regards <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

lavin.ie wrote: »
    If you contact Celuplast http://www.rubberlok.com/products-grass-grids.htm in Baldoyle they have the ritter paving, It takes a bit of work to install correctly but it worth it. We usually install ritter paving in over-flow car-parks, in front gardens where there is desire to retain lawn but have extra parking and fire access roads over grass areas.
    Regards <snip>

Any idea how much they charge for this per square meter? With the recent flood issues I would like to change my own driveway to have this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lavin.ie

Use Nidagravel http://www.nidagravel.eu/IEEN/site/index.aspx wholesale it is about €14.00 per square meter just for the membrane, but it looks very well. I have it in my drive and it is free draining even during the worst of the recent rain. I will load photo to my website later and you can have a look (landscaping section).

Regards <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

lavin.ie wrote: »
    I have it in my drive and it is free draining even during the worst of the recent rain.

Great, exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks

very interesting!
    Any idea of prices / which will be the cheapest option?

(it's not that I don't want to spend money, but I am renting and not sure for how long...)

what do you think about this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grass-Protection-park-Mesh-21405/dp/B00BY5TVZU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RQNB95QVRR0NDC2SNPF

(silly question.. if I put this can I still use the machine to cut the grasss??? :P )

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I've seen astro turf mentioned in the past

I have looked at astroturf myself in the past, i noticed after rain, flies laied alot of eggs in it and it was swarming after, despite being told that it wouldnt happen. We found it best to use concrete slabs and raised flowerbeds .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Hope it's ok to jump in and ask a question.

We're living in rented accommodation and we'll be moving in two weeks. I was out doing a poo pick-up in the back garden the other day and I'm after realizing that the mutt is after damaging it a bit. He does that thing where after going to the toilet he kicks out with his paws and so there's a few ripped out tufts of grass and some bald patches. I "replanted" as many as I could but it's not great and I don't want to hand the landlord his garden back like that.

Is there anything I can do? Would throwing a few grass seeds out do anything? Have zero gardening knowledge :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cocolola wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to jump in and ask a question.

We're living in rented accommodation and we'll be moving in two weeks. I was out doing a poo pick-up in the back garden the other day and I'm after realizing that the mutt is after damaging it a bit. He does that thing where after going to the toilet he kicks out with his paws and so there's a few ripped out tufts of grass and some bald patches. I "replanted" as many as I could but it's not great and I don't want to hand the landlord his garden back like that.

Is there anything I can do? Would throwing a few grass seeds out do anything? Have zero gardening knowledge :-/

You could get something like this Miracle Gro Patch Magic Repair, LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You could get something like this Miracle Gro Patch Magic Repair, LINK

:o I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't find myself. Thanks a mil, it looks the job!

Advertisement