Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance for pregnancy canada

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys, myself and husband are heading to Canada in 3 weeks time, on the 2 year iec programme, and we will be having a baby over the next 2 years , now my next question is ref health insurance , I know we need to get the back packers insurance but there is no maternity cover included on that, so would I need to get additional insurance or would I be covered in Canada when working ?!??! ... need to be certain before we head over what insurance to get !!! ... thanks guys !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deccdn

Hi there,

I can speak as a Canadian citizen. When women go on mat leave here (or men on paternity leave), they have to have a certain number of hours worked prior to going on mat leave (i think around 600). If you have those hours, then you are entitled to collect maternity/parental benefits for up to 52 weeks. You'd receive Employment Insurance benefits while you're on mat leave, approx 60% of your earnings. Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/benefits/maternityparental.shtml

But if you get into a cushy job, some employers will top you up to 95 or even 100% of your annual earnings. It's rare, but it happens. My sister works for Corrections Canada and she was topped up.

Advertisement