Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport renewal

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I want to travel home to Ireland in 4 weeks for a week but my passport expires in June. Would I be able to fly to Ireland and back if my passport is out of date in June??

If not would I be able to get my new passport back in time if I post it to Canberra tomorrow? I will have about 22 days altogether?

Would it be quicker to post it home and get someone to go up to the passport office in Dublin and get it for me and post it out to Australia, or can someone else even get the passport for me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It takes 10 days via An Post for a new passport in Ireland. You can go into the passport office and it takes less time. If it's an emergency, like it might be in your situation, it will be done on the day in Ireland once you can prove its an emergency with expiration dates, flight times etc…

If you want to do it over here it's best to call Canberra and see the expected waiting times. You may have issues reentering if you have less than 6 months left on your passport.

What sort of visa are you on? If you are on a 2WHV and re-enter the country, your are almost certainly flagged and will be stopped by immigration and questioned on your rural work/2WHV. I was 18 months ago on a trip to China when re-entering Australia. I was particularly flagged as my work address was QLD and my home address was NSW (due to Fly In/Fly Out work) and addresses not matching up. All was good once they checked all my info but they said pretty much everyone re-entering on a 2WHV is flagged and questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

It takes 6-8 weeks to get a passport issued here.

If I were you I'd go home, then come back and apply for a new passport. If you do it through a consulate ( I used the one in Perth) they hold your old passport there in case you need to go home all of a sudden and your new one has not arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭me1724

Can I travel to Ireland and back again if my passport is still ok but will expire in June and then just apply for a new passport when I get back to Australia??

:: I'm on a 457 visa to answer that question

• Registered Users Posts: 17 john.co

If you decide to take the chance and fly on a passport that expires in June - check with the airline you're flying with, to see if they have any requirements.

Was looking into this recently myself and there was some discussion online about airlines not allowing you to check in for international flights on passports that had less than 6 months left on them - I emailed Etihad and they claim that they require a passport to be valid for 6 months for travel on international flights. I know this isn't an actual requirement to enter Australia so not sure how they can enforce it, as you technically have a valid passport, but might be worth checking so you're not stuck at the airport!

I have rang etihad and the girl I was talking to said it was ok to travel with less than 6 months left on my passport, but I'll email them aswell to get it in writing

• Advertisement

I flew to Ireland, Uk, Iceland, and back to Oz in December with my passport expiring in the first week of February on Emirates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you can travel to Ireland on your passport

then when you get to Ireland apply for new one in 10 days

in Australia theres a 12 weeks wait for new passport

I rang back etihad again to get an email to confirm I don't need 6 months to travel and this time she said no chance that I had to have 6 months remaining. I'm just goin to send off passport and hope it comes back in time. Thanks for the help guys

me1724 wrote: »
    I rang back etihad again to get an email to confirm I don't need 6 months to travel and this time she said no chance that I had to have 6 months remaining. I'm just goin to send off passport and hope it comes back in time. Thanks for the help guys
    There isn't a hope.

Total non-sense. Ring your local consulate and ask them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

to fly back to Australia you need 6 months validity

don't send off the passport in Australia,it takes 12 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Fly home on your passport and book an appointment with the passport office to get your new passport before you fly back to Oz.

You wont get your passport back from Canberra in time to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HenoC

Is there any 'FastTrack' service for renewing an Irish passport in Australia or does anyone have any experience of getting one renewed quickly? A friend needs to have her passport renewed by 25/7/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

HenoC wrote: »
    Is there any 'FastTrack' service for renewing an Irish passport in Australia or does anyone have any experience of getting one renewed quickly? A friend needs to have her passport renewed by 25/7/14.

Short answer - no.

Hypothetically she could send all the stuff home via registered post and get someone at home to passport express it but it's a big risk with alot of variables.

Advertisement