Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two stray german pointers in my town - what should I do?

• 10-02-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

One of them wanted to play with me 14 month old German shepherd - they liked each other - the other was afraid.

Maybe they were cross with the afraid one this morning and just kicked them out this morning as one wanted to play.

Would I need to seperate them from my dog until they get vaccinated etc.?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do you know who owns them? You can't just take in a stray, unfortunately, AFAIK they still have to go to the pound for the 5 day waiting period before they can be rehomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

kylith wrote: »
    Do you know who owns them? You can't just take in a stray, unfortunately, AFAIK they still have to go to the pound for the 5 day waiting period before they can be rehomed.

They have no collars or anything....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They're still likely to be owned by someone and may have escaped from their garden or house.

Your first stop should really be to get them scanned for a microchip. The best thing to do would be to take them to a shelter or the pound so that if someone is looking for them they can be found, and if you want to keep them you can let the pound know and get them after 5 days. It may be possible for them to stay with you as long as you get them put on the pound's books. If they don't do their time in the pound and you were to bump into their owner one day you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

They don't have to go to the pound you just have to inform the warden. It'd be better for them not to go to the pound at all especially if they may not be vaccinated! Agree though that they probably have owners. Tell the gardai you found them and also your local shop etc

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Lors lost dogs on Facebook and your local areas Facebook for sale or free Facebook site are handy. You have to inform the warden and the Gardai but you can keep them in your care instead of the pound. That's what I did with the dog I found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Imform the dog warden/pound and possibly the gards if you're holding onto them ...
    If not get the dog warden out quick...they can't be just left to roam ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Markcheese wrote: »
    Imform the dog warden/pound and possibly the gards if you're holding onto them ...
    If not get the dog warden out quick...they can't be just left to roam ..

Warden, more or less means death though does it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Not necessarily. It depends on what part of the land you're in. Some are far, far better than others.
    There is a pretty good chance that these two dogs are microchipped. If their owner's details are registered to the chip, you're sorted. All you need to do is get them to a vet, or to the pound, or to a local rescue and ask them to scan the dogs, and trace the chips (if present) to see can the owner be found.
    A pair of dogs the same breed running about smacks of them having escaped from somewhere. Their owner could be looking for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

they will go back home in the evening

Advertisement