Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wild camping permitted?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 K_TRICKS

3 of us are going to bring 6 Dutchies camping in Galway/Conemara in August, any good wild camping spots would be appreciated.
    We are going Monday to Friday morning so won't be worried about scumbags etc.
    We will be leaving no trace of ourselves when we leave so we won't ruining your spot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

K_TRICKS wrote: »
    3 of us are going to bring 6 Dutchies camping in Galway/Conemara in August, any good wild camping spots would be appreciated.
    We are going Monday to Friday morning so won't be worried about scumbags etc.
    We will be leaving no trace of ourselves when we leave so we won't ruining your spot :)

You should try going to the aran Islands. a decent wild camping spot just by the airport on Inis Meain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭waterboy15

waterboy15 wrote: »
    justshane wrote: »
    Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good spot/area to go wild camping in or around Sligo/South Donegal, any help and suggestions appreciated in advance.

The glen on glen road knocknarea sligo, great shelter from wind but u will get rain drops from trees, u can park at layby.
    Seen a load of tents and camper at layby in lissedel last night, nice and quiet there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

This might sound stupid but who polices wild camping? If you were to hiking in wicklow that set up a tent in the evening whos going to know your there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

neris wrote: »
    This might sound stupid but who polices wild camping? If you were to hiking in wicklow that set up a tent in the evening whos going to know your there?

In Glendalough, the rangers will move you on, but elsewhere you can do just that. Lots of forests in Wicklow are in private ownership, and some people will move you on. Out of sight, out of mind, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

I'm hoping to take a short (overnight) camping trip Saturday and Sunday in the Wicklow Mountains. Just a solo trip. I live in Wicklow Town - can anyone recommend a good place where I could drive, park overnight, and hike in and camp overnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

This thread is a little old now but I was thinking of wild camping in Kilarney National Park.
    I have scoured website and it doesnt even mention camping.
    Am I to assume this means its ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

sketchpad wrote: »
    This thread is a little old now but I was thinking of wild camping in Kilarney National Park.

emm...no you are not allowed to camp in the national par afaik

Nope, not allowed in the National Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

As others have said, No camping in the park. The rangers WILL move you on :(
    Plenty of other nice spots around the reeks, Gap of dunloe or Black valley though...

• Advertisement

dquirke1 wrote: »
    As others have said, No camping in the park. The rangers WILL move you on :(
    Plenty of other nice spots around the reeks, Gap of dunloe or Black valley though...

Those pesky rangers :) The reeks it is so. Thanks for the heads up.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this just a kilarney thing? Asking as I've never heard of it being prohibited in any of the other parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is this just a kilarney thing? Asking as I've never heard of it being prohibited in any of the other parks.
    Don't know. Wicklow permits wild camping outside of Glendalough itself, but then only without lighting fires ...

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WildCamping.html

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

a quick google tells me it's allowed in Ballycroy NP too (where I've camped quite a few times without trouble). You need a permit if it's a group above 10 people or you intend to have a fire etc:http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/documents/CampingCodeBallycroyNationalPark2011.pdf

I emailed the people at National Parks, here's their response;

Thank you for your query in relation to camping in National Parks. Given the unique make up of each of our National Parks, each Park will have its own rules on whether camping is permitted. There are some instances when camping is allowed and you can contact each Park where local staff will be in a position to advise you. Contact details are on www.npws.ie

Regards

Anthony McCarthy
    Parks and Reserves Unit
    National Parks and Wildlife Service
    Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
    7 Ely Place
    Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladygem

What about camping at the beach? Is it safe and legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Thread now moved to the Wild Camping forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

In regards to beach camping it isnt illegal but its all about location location location. Ive heard brittas bay is a good spot amongst the dunns but the weather needs to be good for any beach camping the sand can get everywhere. Shelter from the water too never camp on the beach proper incase of a large swell during the night, wake up in the sea. Common sense should prevail as in most things, just find a nice sheltered level spot and pitch up. Just dont leave sign that you were ever there as with all wild camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lennyantonelli

Ballycroy National Park, being very remote, have a relatively open policy on wild camping. Details here (PDF): http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/documents/CampingCodeBallycroyNationalPark2011.pdf

I can understand at the came time why Killarney, with the number of visitors it gets, can't be as open.

Coillte seem to be opening up more with the Wild Nephin project actively encourage multi-day trips (I did one myself there in August) http://www.coillte.ie/aboutcoillte/news/article/view/irelands-first-wilderness-project-launched/ ...that said most individual Coillte sites still seem to have no camping signs up.

I was also told by Waterways Ireland that responsible leave-no-trace wild camping is allowed on their towpaths. I get the impression the organisation is actively trying to promote new types of recreation (canoeing etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

anyone seen this before?

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php seems quiet good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, heading to Inis Meain on Friday. Is free camping still ok - this link would suggest so.

http://www.enjoy-irish-culture.com/Inis-meain.html

Edit - spoke to the post office, camping is permitted by the old graveyard at Trá Leithreach, by the old pier, facing Inis óirr.

Advertisement