Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Hedge

• 10-02-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a small hedge at the front of house (similar to this).

I want to move it to the back garden. Is it ok to do this at this time of year?

Anything I should specifically do in order not to kill the hedge?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes it is ok to do it now.

Prepare your new ground fully before you dig up the hedge. You will be effectively planting 'bare root', but with a bit of care (and a big enough receiving trench/holes) you should be able to move some earth with the roots, which will give the plants a better start.

If it has been trimmed up to now, it will not need much trimming, but be aware it will not look as tidy as it did, after you have moved it. The 'sides' of the bushes will be a bit bare looking, try and put them back with the back and front as they were in the original hedge. If they were planted very close together you might try lifting two or three at a time, but htat may not work.

You will need to water the plants through the summer (hopefully :-) )

Advertisement