Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Galway from London

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

I am going to Galway for a stag in May. I will be flying in from London and so will be relying on public transport given the drinking.

What is the best option - fly into Shannon and a bus to Galway, fly into Dublin and train/bus to Galway or is there a bus from Knock to Galway?

I would be flying in on a Friday and out on a Sunday.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Flights to Dublin are more frequent than Shannon or Knock. Same for the bus.

Which London airport is most convenient for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

train to galway...definitely. So much better. So much easier...especially after a stag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

train to galway...definitely. So much better. So much easier...especially after a stag
    Slower, more expensive, you'll have to travel into Dublin city..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

I'd say the best option would be to fly into Dublin, two bus companies Citylink and Gobus run regular services from the airport to Galway city. If you fly into Knock or Shannon there are buses to Galway run by Bus Eireann but the frequency is less so might not suit, depending on your flight times.

Don't bother with the train from Dublin, it's overpriced and not that fast and you'd need to get a bus from the airport to the train station so would end up taking longer.

well personally I would prefer flight-taxi-train there and back...but each to there own. Up to you OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Go Bus go from Terminal in Dublin Airport every hour about 25 euro return 2 hours 15 mins and they have toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both Shannon and Dublin has regular buses.
    Google the companies mentioned above for times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Bus Eireann 51 service

Every hour from Shannon Airport to Galway Station Eyre Square and vice versa.
    1hr 45min travelling time.
    1st service 0755 to Galway.
    Last service is 2055.
    1st service from Galway is 0705.
    Last service is 2005

Bus Eireann 64 service

Every 2 to 3 hours From Knock Airport to Galway Station Eyre Square. Last service is fairly early.
    1hr 45min travelling time.
    1st service 0855 to Galway.
    Last service 1655 to Galway.
    1st service from Galway is 0845
    Last service from Galway is 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fly to Knock, they need the business :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When you add it all up, there's an express bus with an on-board toilet from Dublin Airport to / from Galway every 1/2 hour virtually all day, every day. (Slightly less frequency in the evenings, and quite a bit less in the early hours of the morning.). The buses are new and comfortable, and did I mention express -journey time is 3 hours, or a bit less with some that don't go via Dublin city centre. And the fare is approx E18 one-way or E30 return (less if you book on-line).

(I have no idea what a taxi from Dublin airport to Heuston Station costs, but would be surprised to get much change from a 20.)

Compare this to any other option (Shannon, Knock, the train) and it's a no-brainer, unless you really cannot stand (or sleep thru) sitting in a comfy chair for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

All thanks for the tips.

I live in central London - angel so all the airports are easy. I used fly aer arann to Galway from Luton and loved it.

Luton, Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead is my order of preference but they all are much of a muchness for me.

it really depends on whether you will have "the fear" or not on the way back....bus can be a very small place if you have!!!

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Dublin airport is a pain in the rear. Shannon airport is very 'easy'.
    If the Shannon times suit (flight & bus), go for Shannon. Shannon is only an hour from Galway too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Dublin airport is a pain in the rear. Shannon airport is very 'easy'.
    If the Shannon times suit (flight & bus), go for Shannon. Shannon is only an hour from Galway too.
    1h 45m by bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

snubbleste wrote: »
    1h 45m by bus

Yeah fair enough, I normally drive...the car, not the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

If the bus times line up for Shannon airport that would definitely be the way I'd go. Shorter journey and way less chance of delays

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tommyboyjedi

I live in Galway, but am originally from London, so i fly over a few times a year, have tried a few routes.

i would say it depends mostly on how much you wanna spend, coz if cash is no issue, fly out of heathrow Air Lingus to Shannon and get the bus (or car hire/cab) up. but dont get the last flight out of heathrow coz ull miss the bus. (btw cab from shannon to galway can be got for 65ish euro if you prebook)

if money is an issue, and there is no car hire going on for you, then fly ryan air from stanstead to dublin and get the gobus over to galway. the bus leaves from the airport, its easy peesy and super cheep. bus is about 3 hrs, but they have wifi and power if you get a good seat so.. its not amazing travel, takes a bit of time, but its very cheep and really not too much hassle.

if you go luton to knock (which is the route i tend to take nowadays) it really helps to have a car imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

If you fly to Shannon, get a taxi to Gort (20 mins - motorway all the way) and then get train from Gort to Galway.

If it was my choice, I'd fly to Dublin and there will be a bus waiting for you to take you to Galway city centre, even if your flight s delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paddyfield wrote: »
    ... and there will be a bus waiting for you ... even if your flight s delayed.

That was my main thought too.

If there's enough service-frequency, then delays don't matter.

If there's not, then you run the risk of spending the night in Knock or Shannon villages, or paying a small fortune to a taxi-driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Paddyfield wrote: »
    If you fly to Shannon, get a taxi to Gort (20 mins - motorway all the way) and then get train from Gort to Galway.

If it was my choice, I'd fly to Dublin and there will be a bus waiting for you to take you to Galway city centre, even if your flight s delayed.

Way over complicating things, there is a train station in Sixmilebridge you could get the train to Galway from there you could also catch the train in Ennis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement