Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splicing wire in Attic

Options
  • 10-02-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a bathroom light switch, which is actually a pull cord from a ceiling mounted switch. I plan to move this switch to the stud wall. In doing this I need to extend the wire in the attic and drop it down between the stud wall so I can wire it up to a wall mounted switch in the bathroom.

Now, I'm thinking I'll have to extend the wire and use a junction box to hold the connected the wire ends.

My questions is, what should be looking out for that might scupper this idea? What if the wire going to the current switch is already being tapped from another source, will this be an issue if I plan splice it?

thanks
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

so I can wire it up to a wall mounted switch in the bathroom.

Now, I'm thinking I'll have to extend the wire and use a junction box to hold the connected the wire ends.

My questions is, what should be looking out for that might scupper this idea?

thanks
    Jon

Unless you have a mansion with a huge bathroom you aren't allowed put any switches on the wall inside a bathroom! (Minimum 3 metres from the edge of the bath)

The junction box (not ideal) would also need to remain accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Good thing I posted! Looks like I'll have to go outside so! Like most people I don't have 3m clearance from the bath :)

Out of curiosity what is a better approach than the junction box?

Run new cables, most of them probably won't be far anyway.

If there are just two wires at you switch, one is going to the light in the bathroom, the other is probably coming from another light switch close by.

A third wire would be going to the next light switch in the circuit.

(In the unlikely event that your house was wired using three plate ceiling rose method, then both of the wires go to your bathroom light.)

Why are you changing the switch anyway?

Mainly because the girlfriend would prefer a switch as she thinks the cord is not very nice to look at and also gets caught in the door as it's very close to the door opening. As you can see not very solid reasons!

But then I'm also thinking it I want to install an extractor and connect it to the light it might be better to leave the cord.

Btw is it regulation to connect the fan switch to the light switch?

Also I have another room next to the bathroom with just a toilet, no sink. The toilet is not in the bathroom. Would the 3m rule apply there? Also has a pull chord.

I don't think installing a fan would be considered minor work, you will need to get a registered electrician.

http://www.safeelectric.ie/minorWorks.pdf

The one switch can turn on both light and fan, but you would typically require the fan to remain on after you leave the bathroom.

An appropriate isolator is required close to the fan also.

AFAIK a room with just a toilet and even a washbasin isn't covered by the regulations concerning baths and showers. But the light switch is still usually outside the room wherever I've seen one installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Unless you have a mansion with a huge bathroom you aren't allowed put any switches on the wall inside a bathroom! (Minimum 3 metres from the edge of the bath)

are they not prohibited entirely even outside zone 3?

in the annex it says wall mounted sockets and switches prohibited in bathrooms

AFAIK a room with just a toilet and even a washbasin isn't covered by the regulations concerning baths and showers.

correct

are they not prohibited entirely even outside zone 3?

in the annex it says wall mounted sockets and switches prohibited in bathrooms

Annex 55A is 'Informative' with 4.2 c referring to the regulation Section 701.

Is anything outside of the zones still in the bathroom as far as the regulations are concerned?

Thanks for a the advice . I think I know I'm probably past my comfort zone with the fan so likely hire someone to do it!

Is anything outside of the zones still in the bathroom as far as the regulations are concerned?

i must check this

Maybe someone else knows?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This debate could go around in circles.

In my opinion it is always best to obey the regulations even the parts that appear under the aforementioned "informative" heading except under exceptional circumstances.

If a situation were to "turn legal", you can honestly tell the man in the wig that you followed "best practice" as per ET101 :)

Is the statement on sockets and switches backed up by section 701 as the Annex implies?

I think a large bathroom would be exceptional!

Has anyone had to wire a bathroom that extended to more than 3m from the bath edge?

I'm guessing that anywhere just over the 3m limit would still be treated as within the room just as a precaution, but what if there was a room that had 5 or 6 metres? Say for example a large open plan room with a jacuzzi? Even then it's unlikely to be put in a corner, so realistically you would need the room to be 7 or 8 metres wide!.

I think anyone with a room that big would be prepared to pay for a SELV system instead.

Is the statement on sockets and switches backed up by section 701 as the Annex implies?

Section 701 bans them in all zones, can't find anything about what happens beyond zone 3

Il have a look later anyhow

I had a feeling outside the zones didn't cover sockets and switches?

you have that situation of a shower/bath in the corner of a bedroom and there may be sockets nearby..

701 deals with that.. Wouldn't the large bathroom be a similar scenario

Advertisement