Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you guys keep fit over the winter?

Options
  • 10-02-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

do you manage to keep your fitness all year? do you peak in the summer when its easier to do longer cycles and multiday hikes etc? do you compensate in the winter by doing more running, gym etc?
    I noticed from previous years that I let a lot of my fitness go over the winter and then had to build it up again. So this year have started using a gym in a leisure club I am a member of and hoping to do couple of those off road 10K's. still going out hiking but tends to be only once a month so not enough to build up fitness in and of itself.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

A head lamp and off you go as normal. I go out after work at least once a week and then get a decent hike in most weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Slightly different angle on this, I wouldn't say I'm fit but I run/swim at least 3 times a week, but when it comes to even a moderate day in the hills I struggle.

Can run a 10k in under an hour and can swim for 750m without stopping, but even a 4.5 hour walk leaves some of leg muscles aching!

Anybody got any tips for getting fitter for the hills? (Beside the obvious walk more;)) I try to get out minimum 2 times a month, but depending on circumstance could easily have 8 weeks between walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I take the dogs for at least a 5K walk everyday and carry a 10kg pack. I wouldn't say I'm that fit but having three dogs means I've got to walk them come what may.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Slightly different angle on this, I wouldn't say I'm fit but I run/swim at least 3 times a week, but when it comes to even a moderate day in the hills I struggle.

Can run a 10k in under an hour and can swim for 750m without stopping, but even a 4.5 hour walk leaves some of leg muscles aching!

Anybody got any tips for getting fitter for the hills? (Beside the obvious walk more;)) I try to get out minimum 2 times a month, but depending on circumstance could easily have 8 weeks between walks.

Ive always done a bit of running but mostly at sea level so my plan this year is to do at least a 10k at the weekend and when I get a bit fitter drive to where I can go jogging in the hills. I guess with other sports like cycling there are limits to doing a hours activity at a time when the thing you are training for is 6 to 8 hours long. it might be a case of upping the miles?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

silverharp wrote: »
    Ive always done a bit of running but mostly at sea level so my plan this year is to do at least a 10k at the weekend and when I get a bit fitter drive to where I can go jogging in the hills. I guess with other sports like cycling there are limits to doing a hours activity at a time when the thing you are training for is 6 to 8 hours long. it might be a case of upping the miles?

Maybe, although when I up the miles on the road my shins tend to hate me;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement