Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen iPhone 5, recovered - insurance claim?

Options
  • 10-02-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi there - I wonder if anyone has advice.

My iPhone 5 was stolen 16th January. I reported it stolen to the Garda that night, contacted O2 and reported it stolen to them too.
    I initiated a claim on my insurance - I've a UFirst Ulster Bank account so my mobile phone insurance is with them, through Aviva. I paid the excess of €95.
    I got a replacement iPhone 5 a few days later (23rd January), and made peace with the fact that there was loads of stuff I lost on my phone and hadn't backed up (I know, I know).

So, this past Saturday I got a call from Pearse St Garda station - my stolen phone was recovered, a guy had a load of phones on him. So I went in and collected it - all my stuff is still on it! I made a backup, restored it and am thrilled.

I just contacted Aviva and told them what happened. They are saying they'll collect the phone - but they won't refund my excess of €95.

That doesn't seem terribly fair to me! Do I have a window in which I can cancel the claim, does anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Having paid out the insurer owns any subsequently recovered goods I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I totally understand them taking the phone - I was just hoping for a refund, or even partial refund, on the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

quaalude wrote: »
    I totally understand them taking the phone - I was just hoping for a refund, or even partial refund, on the excess.
    Think of the €95 as convenience money for having a phone for the length of time between when the original was stolen & eventually recovered by the gardaí. A small price to pay if you look at it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The insurance company owns the old item when they pay out. I would post your old stolen phone to the insurance company and ask when you will receive the new one. Which is technically have paid for. You would have had all the data backed up anyway as icloud does it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

hfallada wrote: »
    The insurance company owns the old item when they pay out. I would post your old stolen phone to the insurance company and ask when you will receive the new one. Which is technically have paid for. You would have had all the data backed up anyway as icloud does it

I've received a new one already.
    And I hadn't backed up the old one - I hadn't set up iCloud for most items.

I'll just send them a mail telling them they can collect the old one from my work whenever, and forget about getting a refund on the excess.
    That the scumbag with a load of phones was caught, and also that I got my data back, is totally worth €95.
    Thanks all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement