Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron man bike???

Options
  • 10-02-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Im looking into doing an iron man this summer.Have done tri's in the past on a giant racer....budget friendly one....Looking to get a new bike in prep for more this summer and hopefully the half iron man.Any recommendations for a ladies bike?My budget is between 1000-1500...maybe a bit more.....Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The most important thing is that it fits you. What height are you? If you're quite short it may limit the choice of frames. Are you going road bike or tt?

My first carbon road bike was a giant tcr with 105 gearing. Great bike. I don't like the avail but thats a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nightsky

Im 5ft 2....My last bike they sized me up for an xs but it was too small so I got the small which is perfect....I do alot of road cycling too but I don't know if I could get a bike to use for both #clueless...... :-)

If I can get something for both, fair enough....However its more for the tri's and the half iron man Im thinking of....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Nightsky wrote: »
    Im looking into doing an iron man this summer.Have done tri's in the past on a giant racer....budget friendly one....Looking to get a new bike in prep for more this summer and hopefully the half iron man.Any recommendations for a ladies bike?My budget is between 1000-1500...maybe a bit more.....Thanks.
    I've been getting into triathlons for bout 2 years now, got this road bike via the bike to work scheme.

Perfect for a first timer like myself, handled my 10k commute perfect, and showed up at my first Olympic distance happy as larry. As a good swimmer I came out of the water in a nice position, but was quickly introduced to the wonders of TT (time trial) bikes. Some of the lads might as well have been on motorbikes with the speed they were going past me.

So I did some research and realised there was no way I could justify the cost of a TT bike. Some of the bikes are worth more than my car, and they're not suitable for commuting. I have since pimped my road bike to include things like clip in pedals, and clip on aero bars and they have made a difference. I did a Half IM last year and am getting ready for my first IM this year.

So in answer to your question, I don't know what bike to reccomend for you, but your first choice should be whether it is a road bike you're looking for or a TT bike.

Ha v funny, ya I know what you mean....you can hear them coming....Im not too bad on the bike and do have the clip in pedals but ya its a TT bike I need.....I think.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement