Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck!

Options
  • 10-02-2014 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi everyone, new here.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for writers/creative block during a PhD?

I'm in the social sciences and my PhD is a theory building one. My supervisors have rejected my "theory". I somewhat agree, I think that the conclusion I've come to could be explored in a paper but I don't have a strong enough arguement to present it as a thesis.

Due to this fact, I have to rewrite the last 3 chapters of my PhD before its submitted in the next few weeks. It's not just a rewrite though really, it's a re-theorisation!! I'm finding myself reading new theories etc with only a few weeks to go to submission and having absolutely no idea how to pull a new one out of the bag in such a short time frame.

Have had extension so further extension is out of the question.

I've asked for supervisors help but have been told that its my problem to manage which I guess is true.

Any advice? I'm sitting at a blank screen for the 3rd day in a row!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Stop sitting in front of a computer screen.

Go out and explore any museums, art galleries, anything similar. Go into churches and castles. Sit in a cafe and people watch. Walk through a woodland or along the beach. Let your mind roam free, see what happens. Don't try and solve your problem for the moment. Sleep on it (no drink!) The next day re-read your thesis, try and read it as someone else. Then sit down and see what you can come up with :)

If it does not work, well you will have given yourself a break and refreshed your mind, which is better than just sitting in front of your computer. But chances are there will be an idea out there waiting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Foolscap

Thanks Looksee

I walked away from it for a few days and tried to do other things and I think it did help. It's just hard to leave it alone when I've so little time left. I'm hoping this is somewhat normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Evaleigh

That's really tough that you have so much to do in 3 weeks. How's it going now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Foolscap

Hi Evaleigh, thanks for asking
    It's ok, not too bad at the moment. Looks like I might actually have to get another extension and pay the fee (another 1000euro!). I'm doing my PhD 5 years and I get so disheartened watching my friends submit after 3 years with no problems. Starting to wonder if I'm cut out for it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Evaleigh

Wow, 1000 euro is so much to pay just for the privilege of working by yourself, I assume! I'm also on my 5th year (part time) so I know how you feel. I do think that it usually takes that long though so I wouldn't feel bad. Is your supervisor supportive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement