Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2014 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

sydthebeat wrote: »
    How did it finish lads?

44-14 to the Blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

How did it finish lads?

44-14.

Reds gave a better account of themselves in the second half, but the Blues were well in top until the end.

Blues' sub outhalf scored a nice breakaway try in his first match to finish the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

matthew8 wrote: »
    44-14 to the Blues.
    44-14.

Reds gave a better account of themselves in the second half, but the Blues were well in top until the end.

Blues' sub outhalf scored a nice breakaway try in his first match to finish the game.

The NZ websites saying Nonu and Kaino had good games. Is this correct? The flyhalf Hickey should see U20 action (he is the Captain no less) - did he go OK?

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The NZ websites saying Nonu and Kaino had good games. Is this correct? The flyhalf Hickey should see U20 action (he is the Captain no less) - did he go OK?

Nonu had a great influence on the game. Instrumental in a few tries and ripped a few balls for some turnovers too.

Hickey had a great night off the tee.

I wasn't really watching Kaino as closely, tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's fecks up my bet for the weekend, ah well. Red have been so poor this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

There is some awful dross in that Reds team, particularly in the backline. It doesn't help when Horwill, Genia and Cooper are all out of form. I predicted that they would struggle with the depth of the squad, and I was right. They are serious need of reinforcements for next year.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    There is some awful dross in that Reds team, particularly in the backline. It doesn't help when Horwill, Genia and Cooper are all out of form. I predicted that they would struggle with the depth of the squad, and I was right. They are serious need of reinforcements for next year.

Fairplay Kiwi_knock. I've reviewed your preview and you called it correctly. Hats off.

Nonu had a great influence on the game. Instrumental in a few tries and ripped a few balls for some turnovers too.

Hickey had a great night off the tee.

I wasn't really watching Kaino as closely, tbh.

Nonu has really improved over the years. Looked like a league centre when he was came onto the scene - all bash, no vision, no kicking game. Now he's got a complete game for a centre - still has the bash, can pass beautifully off both hands, great kicking game, can tackle. All this when he cares...which has not always been the case.

On a side note, great to see Ihaia West in action, unlike Benji he's young and with great promise. Judging by his name and appearance he's of Maori Irish descent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Nonu has really improved over the years. Looked like a league centre when he was came onto the scene - all bash, no vision, no kicking game. Now he's got a complete game for a centre - still has the bash, can pass beautifully off both hands, great kicking game, can tackle. All this when he cares...which has not always been the case.

On a side note, great to see Ihaia West in action, unlike Benji he's young and with great promise. Judging by his name and appearance he's of Maori Irish descent...

Who was the 7s chap with red hair with an Irish first name? Possibly red hair too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

While the reds are a shadow of there former selves, it was still a very impressive performance from the blues. Really need to bring that form away from Eden park now to have a chance of qualifying.

Just picked up a ticket to this evenings crusaders game. Cracking day here in Christchurch so looking forward to an exciting attacking game.

• Advertisement

While the reds are a shadow of there former selves, it was still a very impressive performance from the blues. Really need to bring that form away from Eden park now to have a chance of qualifying.

Just picked up a ticket to this evenings crusaders game. Cracking day here in Christchurch so looking forward to an exciting attacking game.

Hope you enjoyed the game. Only caught the last 15 minutes due to the very early kickoff time, but that is a very satisfying result, I'm more and more confident of making the top 6. How did Rutchie go? (Didn't look as if Munster's new signing got any further than the bench?)

Hope you enjoyed the game. Only caught the last 15 minutes due to the very early kickoff time, but that is a very satisfying result, I'm more and more confident of making the top 6. How did Rutchie go? (Didn't look as if Munster's new signing got any further than the bench?)

Not a bad game at all. I'd say the brumbies are pretty disappointed they didn't come away with anything from the game. They controlled most of the ball and territory but always failed to execute at the vital moment and the crusaders went up the other end from sloppy brumbies play such as the charge down kick.
    Thought richie played pretty well. Forced a couple of turnovers and didn't seem to miss a tackle. Also thought Israel dagg looked a lot more threatening tonight.

Great result from them and keeps them going along nicely in the NZ conference after a poor start to the campaign. The NZ derby games are going to be crucial in determining who comes out of the NZ conference.

Atmosphere was pretty dull and the Mexican waves are just cringeworthy.

But highlight of the night had to be before the game and Laurie fisher walked past me and spotted my munster jersey. Shook hands with me and said "god you boys are everywhere"

Not a bad game at all. I'd say the brumbies are pretty disappointed they didn't come away with anything from the game. They controlled most of the ball and territory but always failed to execute at the vital moment and the crusaders went up the other end from sloppy brumbies play such as the charge down kick.
    Thought richie played pretty well. Forced a couple of turnovers and didn't seem to miss a tackle. Also thought Israel dagg looked a lot more threatening tonight.

Great result from them and keeps them going along nicely in the NZ conference after a poor start to the campaign. The NZ derby games are going to be crucial in determining who comes out of the NZ conference.

Atmosphere was pretty dull and the Mexican waves are just cringeworthy.

But highlight of the night had to be before the game and Laurie fisher walked past me and spotted my munster jersey. Shook hands with me and said "god you boys are everywhere"

I really rate the support that Irish teams get - the noise from Ravenhill last night was pretty impressive. NZers just don't do singing or chanting, the best atmosphere I've had has been Ranfurly Shield games, but AB test matches can be almost silent affairs.

Fairplay to Fisher! I spotted a Leinster jersey in the crowd when the Crusaders played the Chiefs in round 1.

Have to go into work but going to try and whip round the jobs, and hopefully catch the Tahs v Canes which should be an entertaining match. As you say there are lots of local derbies to come, and I favour the Crusaders to knock out the opposition from the finals reckoning in such clashes.

I really rate the support that Irish teams get - the noise from Ravenhill last night was pretty impressive. NZers just don't do singing or chanting, the best atmosphere I've had has been Ranfurly Shield games, but AB test matches can be almost silent affairs.

Fairplay to Fisher! I spotted a Leinster jersey in the crowd when the Crusaders played the Chiefs in round 1.

Have to go into work but going to try and whip round the jobs, and hopefully catch the Tahs v Canes which should be an entertaining match. As you say there are lots of local derbies to come, and I favour the Crusaders to knock out the opposition from the finals reckoning in such clashes.

Very true unfortunetly. Even at the World Cup semi final between NZ and Aus the atmosphere was pretty poor.

Plenty of Irish here in Christchurch so no surprise there in the fact ya spotted a Leinster jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

40-20 is a great result for Crusaders and way above expectations. Planet Rugby were backing Brumbies -5. Must have been "the Return of the King". :D

40-20 is a great result for Crusaders and way above expectations. Planet Rugby were backing Brumbies -5. Must have been "the Return of the King". :D

Saders have a great forward back, it was just the backs that were crap earlier in the season. Lote's cousin, and an injury-free Slade have made a big difference. Ray Lee-lo has disappeared off the rader, which has helped too. He will be lucky to get a Super contract next season IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Connacht man Aki dots down for the Chiefs

Workman like performance from the chiefs. Bonus try win was needed from them tonight and they have got that. Keeps the NZ conference really tight.

Next game between waratahs and canes should be good. Lots of exciting backs on show

Crazy try there for the Hurricanes

Waratahs handling error in the in-goal area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Waratahs have been shocking since scoring their early try. 22-7 to the Canes.

• Advertisement

Aaand Savea dots down for another one - 24-7

This game is being played at some pace! Coles reminds me of Sean Cronin - great wheels, he is getting better and better and scrummaging seems to have improved.

Massive few minutes from the hurricanes. Have blown this game apart.
    Barrett is looking very impressive so far. All blacks are spoilt for choice for the no.10 jersey anyway.

Massive few minutes from the hurricanes. Have blown this game apart.
    Barrett is looking very impressive so far. All blacks are spoilt for choice for the no.10 jersey anyway.

Tahs could easily win this though, they have seriously dangerous backs. NZ always produces good 7s, 10s and back three, but Barrett might just about be close to no 1 these days..although I expect Cruden to start v the Poms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Talk about a game of momentum! 24-21 to the Canes.

Not the best defence in this game so far anyway although there are some fantastic attacking players on the field

This is like 7s rugby at the moment, entertaining ++, even if the tackling doomsayers might flock to the thread. I love watching Beale play, he might have off-field issues, but such a natural runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Will you treat it as a nil all game after half time?

What a stupid question, it is a nil all game

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Two of my favourite teams to watch in Super Rugby, always looking to attack

• Advertisement

TJ owes CJ a drink. Ball greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Two tries either side if halftime completely butchered. Could have been 8 tries in 42 mins

And the Canes come away with 0 points. Ouch! That could be very costly. Hopefully the Landers can do a number on the Stormers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Glad to see the Aussie sides doing reasonably well (Reds aside). There was a real risk of a meltdown in Aussie rugby after that Lions test imo but McKenzie is doing a good job and they seem to have a bit of depth. I don't think anyone benefits from one of the big nations falling a bit.

Great game of rugby. Canes will be gutted to have come away with no points from that match. Considering they had a 17 point lead at one stage, they will be gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

danthefan wrote: »
    Glad to see the Aussie sides doing reasonably well (Reds aside). There was a real risk of a meltdown in Aussie rugby after that Lions test imo but McKenzie is doing a good job and they seem to have a bit of depth. I don't think anyone benefits from one of the big nations falling a bit.

Their backline on form would be/will be absolutely terrifying

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Their backline on form would be/will be absolutely terrifying

I think it will be the usual issue: can Aussie put out a competitive front 5? Their back row, and backs will be fine, I'll be intrigued to see who gets the 12 jersey for Aussie: Toomua, Beale, Lealiifano etc

Lovely from Aaron Smith. C'mon the men from the south!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bgrove

How should stormers v highlanders go?.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Coleman should be fined for that miss. Vermuelen on Smith among a few highlights so far

bgrove wrote: »
    How should stormers v highlanders go?.

On form Highlanders, but Stormers are not as bad as their position on the table suggests.

• Advertisement

Any chance of an update of the Highlanders game lads please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Any chance of an update of the Highlanders game lads please?

19-14 to Stormers, 46 mins gone.

26-14 Stormers bonus point

Smith & Smith inc combine to get another try. Close game here. Stormers down to 14. Trent Renata playing at 10 now for the injured Sopaaga.

Fekitoa dots down and its 26-26 with conversion to come. Your team might just do this, sydthebeat.

Fekitoa dots down and its 26-26 with conversion to come. Your team might just do this, sydthebeat.

Excellent.

Thanks for the updates lads! !

Cmon d landers

Vermeulen drops the ball cold with the line open. Highlanders with defensive scrum, 28-26, 17 minutes to play.

Game over sydthebeat. Stormers 29 Highlanders 28. Still they get 7 points from the trip to SA which is a great effort, and keeps them in the playoff hunt.

Stormers win 29-28. Probably deserved. Highlanders very clinical. Stormers missed lots of chances

Game over sydthebeat. Stormers 29 Highlanders 28. Still they get 7 points from the trip to SA which is a great effort, and keeps them in the playoff hunt.

Yeah not a bad result and sounds like the performance was something to build on.
    If we can keep injury free we will be well in the hunt

• Advertisement
Advertisement