Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2014 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty controversial try there from the hurricanes.
    Cruden having a very good game for the chiefs.

The Chiefs have kept their season alive with their best performance for sometime. Hurricanes tried until the end they just weren't able to get any momentum.
    The fact they didn't even get a loosing bonus point could prove very costly for the hurricanes with the bye the have next weekend.

Very good win for the crusaders in the end. Had to work very hard for it. What a massive difference Nadolo makes to the crusaders back line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great war of attrition in the second half but I think the game turned when Colin Slade was injured and the 'Master' returned to his usual spot. Nadolo is unstoppable and his first try was outrageous. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Honey Badger scores. 7-3 to the Force against the Reds, must win game for the Force

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Force playing well here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Sharks gone to crap a bit. They essentially need a BP win away to the Stormers for a semi. Maybe didn't deserve to lose to the Cheetahs there, referee made a couple of bad calls towards the end. First should have been a penalty try when Goosen kicked the ball out of a scrum that was 3 metres out and rumbling and then an advantage over for a penalty 5 metres out that ended the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

May as well post this here.
    Murray Kinsella (@Murray_Kinsella) tweeted at 11:39 AM on Sun, Jul 06, 2014:
    Midi Olympique say Waratahs head coach Michael Chieka is interested in taking over from Jacques Brunel in Italy after the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So, entering the final weekend, Tahs are guaranteed top spot. Crusaders have the possibly easier draw at home to the Highlanders with Sharks away to the Stormers. Combined with their respective form, you'd have to say it will be Crusaders sneaking 2nd and Sharks 3rd.

Things are much more interesting further down.

Hurricanes season is possibly done and they finish on 41 points. Highlanders are on 42 but the Brumbies (40) might well leapfrog them by beating the Force at home. That result could eliminate the Force unless they pick up a LBP (which would see them jump the Hurricanes as they've won more games).

That will be academic, however, if the Chiefs (who have lost 3 of last 4) beat the Blues in Auckland to move to 44 points.

The Blues vs Chiefs and Brumbies vs Force games are on Friday so, by lunch time on Friday, we'll have a pretty clear picture of who is going to finish where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    So, entering the final weekend, Tahs are guaranteed top spot. Crusaders have the possibly easier draw at home to the Highlanders with Sharks away to the Stormers. Combined with their respective form, you'd have to say it will be Crusaders sneaking 2nd and Sharks 3rd.

Things are much more interesting further down.

Hurricanes season is possibly done and they finish on 41 points. Highlanders are on 42 but the Brumbies (40) might well leapfrog them by beating the Force at home. That result could eliminate the Force unless they pick up a LBP (which would see them jump the Hurricanes as they've won more games).

That will be academic, however, if the Chiefs (who have lost 3 of last 4) beat the Blues in Auckland to move to 44 points.

The Blues vs Chiefs and Brumbies vs Force games are on Friday so, by lunch time on Friday, we'll have a pretty clear picture of who is going to finish where.

From the NZ Herald website

Crusaders
    Currently: 2nd - 48 points
    Next week: v Highlanders (home)
    - Need bonus win over Highlanders to ensure top two finish and first-round bye
    - Top two spot could be achieved regardless of result if Sharks lose to Stormers

Highlanders
    Currently: 4th - 42 points
    Next week: v Crusaders (away)
    - Need bonus point win, deny Crusaders a point and a Sharks defeat for top two spot
    - Need a bonus point to secure playoff spot

Hurricanes
    Currently: 5th - 41 points
    Next week: Bye
    - Need Blues to beat Chiefs by less than 38 points, deny Chiefs a bonus point
    - Need either Brumbies or Force to fail to record a point in clash between the Australian sides.

Chiefs
    Currently: 7th - 40 points
    Next week: v Blues (away)
    - Victory over the Blues to reach quarter-finals
    - Bonus point win to help chances of home quarter-final

Blues
    Currently: 9th - 36 points
    Next week: v Chiefs (home)
    - Need to beat Chiefs by more than 38 points, deny Chiefs a bonus point
    - Need either Brumbies or Force to fail to record a point

• Advertisement

On a side note, if Hurricanes fail to make the knock-out rounds, it will round off an unhappy tenure for Mark Hammett. 4 years in charge and he has failed to make the quarter finals in any year.

The move to Cardiff is probably a good idea for him and an opportunity for a fresh start.

I decided a few weeks ago I'm a highlanders supporter purely because Ben Smith plays for them (and its the off season here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

I decided a few weeks ago I'm a highlanders supporter purely because Ben Smith plays for them (and its the off season here)

Ha he is a serious operator alright. Along with Willie Le Roux and Israel Folau they are probably the best three back 3 players in the world at the minute.

8-3 to the Chiefs, with 30 mins left. Chiefs go into the playoffs if they win.

Doesn't seem like a great game!

A lot of what ifs will be settled in the very first game of the weekend if the Chiefs hold on. Hurricanes will be out.

I see Nonu picked up another yellow card, also. Came so close to getting through a season without one!

11-8 to the Chiefs. Chiefs down to 14 for the next 5 mins. 10 mins left. Should be a cracking finish

The Blues have been woeful these last few minutes. Knocking on everything.

Chiefs win. I only watched 30 mins but it was a brutal game. Chiefs will have to massively improve to have a chance of winning again.

And it's over. Chiefs are through, probably to finish in 5th. Hurricanes are out.

• Advertisement

Fair play to the chiefs. They haven't been the same team as the last 2 years but they have suffered a lot of injuries this year and for them to make the playoffs, I think that's another huge achievement for them.
    Should put up a stern test for any team they meet in the next round.

I imagine they'll end up playing the Brumbies with the Highlanders having to go to Durban.

I don't think the Brumbies will fear the Chiefs coming over. They gave them a good beating when they visited during the season and I suspect they'll be confident of doing the same again.

Come on the Honey Badger. Really hope the Force can do it, they deserve it.

16-6 to the Brumbies, Toomua with a double. Force not showing anything so far.

It is all over, 28-6. Cannot wait to see Speight in gold.

Toomua gets a hat trick. 35-13. Brilliant performance by the Brumbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Not sure about that try.

Ball chipped by 14.
    Passed back by 14.
    kicked forward by 12
    Kicked forward by 14 - Was he not ahead of the kicker for the last kick by 12?
    Finished by 12

Well nervous times for a bit during that season, but in the end the top 6 is as expected, with the notable exception of the Highlanders! Well done sydthebeat!

I cant see the men from Otago beating the Crusaders, especially sans Ben Smith, so the only undecided question is whether it's the Crusaders or the Sharks who get 2nd spot, and a bye for next week.

If a NZ team can't win it, I'd be delighted for the Tahs who have been the nearly men quite often, but they have played a pleasing style of rugby this season, and with Folau they have one of the most lethal attacking options currently strutting their stuff in world rugby.

Dream final: Crusaders v Tahs
    A replay of Argentina v Holland: Sharks v Brumbies

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thanks swiwi... some improvement on last year!!

i hope theres one or two twists left in the tale yet, the sharks havent looked their clinical best towards the end of the season, and although i expect the crusaders may beat us tomorrow i dont think it will be by the +11 the bookies are giving.

good news about A Smith too for next year

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thanks swiwi... some improvement on last year!!

i hope theres one or two twists left in the tale yet, the sharks havent looked their clinical best towards the end of the season, and although i expect the crusaders may beat us tomorrow i dont think it will be by the +11 the bookies are giving.

good news about A Smith too for next year

It's been a fairytale story really for the Highlanders really. A bunch of (on the face of it) fairly average players, but the team ethos has been excellent. And with the good fortune of no injuries to the 2 Smiths, the emergence of Fekitoa, the silly decision by the Crusaders to release Patrick Obsorne, and some handy displays by the loosies, they've made the top 6. Beating the Tahs at home will be pretty tough, maybe less tough though than finishing 5th and facing either the Sharks or Crusaders away.

A few decent tight 5 signings for next season, and the Highlanders could be in the hunt again.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah, apart for the all black contingent who were consistent all season... i have to put up christie and hardie as being brilliant for us. Buckman has been industrious and orbourne always dangerous.

if we can work on some of our defensive lapses (conceding over 400 points already, 4th worst in league) and bolster the forwards... next season could be an improvement again. Jumping from 14th to 6th is huge though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Shipping Nonu out is always a great tonic for a team too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great signing for London Welsh

#rugbyunited (@trevorlarge) tweeted at 8:38 PM on Fri, Jul 11, 2014:
    @piriweepu signs for London Welsh. If you could sign one player for your team, pro or amateur, tell #rugbyunited who it would be! Pls RT!

Not looking good for the highlanders unfortunetly. Have given away too many silly penalties.
    17-3 at half time

Not looking good for the highlanders unfortunetly. Have given away too many silly penalties.
    17-3 at half time

Crusaders AB-laden forward pack is just dominating their opposition. That off-load from Read!

TBH, the Highlanders reaching the play-offs has already meant their season is a success, but I expect them to bow out next week.

Big try for Crusaders. I expect them to get the BP now and guarantee themselves second spot.

Hmmm, dubious try there!

Crotty is a seriously under-rated 13 by the NZ public. Lacks the bash of the Polynesian lads, but reads the game very well. Classy in a Conrad sort of a way.

Joubert should have spoken to the Crusaders before that. How you can concede 3 penalties on your own line in rapid succession and not see yellow is bizarre; a warning at that stage is redundant.

Nice! 4 tries, and second spot secure barring a Stormers meltdown v the Sharks. So Sharks v Landers and Brumbies v Chiefs. Then I predict Saders v Sharks and Tahs v Brumbies. Crusaders have the best forward pack in the comp, and with DC back, who knows??

Joubert blows up Highlanders for taking out beyond the ruck when they did it at the previous 3 rucks also. Bit of a patchy showing.

Hasn't been a great game but Saders have been ruthless. Every opportunity they've had, they've stuck something on the scoreboard. Defended solidly too. Nobody will fancy playing them.

Waratahs will rightly be favourites for the whole thing but they might get stage fright in the knock outs against sides with more recent knock out experience.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Joubert blows up Highlanders for taking out beyond the ruck when they did it at the previous 3 rucks also. Bit of a patchy showing.

Hasn't been a great game but Saders have been ruthless. Every opportunity they've had, they've stuck something on the scoreboard. Defended solidly too. Nobody will fancy playing them.

Waratahs will rightly be favourites for the whole thing but they might get stage fright in the knock outs against sides with more recent knock out experience.

The Tahs have lethal backs, but I would fancy the Crusaders pack to limit their ball. Bit like NZ v Aussie really :P

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Nice! 4 tries, and second spot secure barring a Stormers meltdown v the Sharks. So Sharks v Landers and Brumbies v Chiefs. Then I predict Saders v Sharks and Tahs v Brumbies. Crusaders have the best forward pack in the comp, and with DC back, who knows??

Considering how badly the crusaders have played at times this season, that have done fantastically well to finish in the top 2 positions. Probably says more of the calibre of the rest of the teams though.
    Do you reckon they will stay with DC at centre or move him back to fly half?
    They look a lot more fluid with him in second five eight.

Considering how badly the crusaders have played at times this season, that have done fantastically well to finish in the top 2 positions. Probably says more of the calibre of the rest of the teams though.
    Do you reckon they will stay with DC at centre or move him back to fly half?
    They look a lot more fluid with him in second five eight.

The Crusaders pack has been fine all season. It has just taken Blackadder an age to stumble on his best backline selection, and the arrival of Nadolo was timely. I would definitely put Carter at 10, but I expect them to continue with Slade 10, Carter 12.

The Highlanders should start Sopoaga next week, he can make errors, but with limited ball I think he is more likely to create something than Parker. And they should have Sir Ben Smith back. But it's their forwards that need to step up really.

Kane Douglas playing now for the Tahs.

Nice try for Beale but horrible defence from Lachie Turner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Tough night for the Reds

Hopefully just precautionary. He clipped the hip with his head and then bounced his head pretty hard off the deck.

Nothing in that from Hooper. He was committed to the hit. He brought the guy down on the flat of his back and never released him. Text book.

Kepu needs to calm down. Robinson cleared him late but it wasn't dangerous or particularly vicious. Grabbing a fistful of hair and instigating a dust up was an overreaction.

Regardless of the man in the bin, I can't believe the Reds turned down a gimme 3 points to go for touch there. They'd have had possession kicked back to them with another 6 minutes of an extra man. No patience.

• Advertisement

Aussie commentator is braindead. Nothing wrong with that? It wasn't dangerous but it was clearly a shoulder hit with no effort to wrap

Advertisement