Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2014 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Ye olde rolling maul...from an Aussie team. The Brumbies needed that.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Just looks like 2 great attacking sides here.

Defence can be crap because it's crap. Or because the opposition has a great attack. Bit of both here probably, but these sides can certainly catch and pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

If you get to the tackler before he kicks the ball can you tackle him? edit: kicker

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is it a case of the 14 men don't do an effective job at closing down shop for 10mins or is it the 15 men stepping it up and smelling blood?

Both, I suppose. The opening try was because Chiefs had a man in the bin and the Brumbies went to touch, knowing they'd the man over. Then the Chiefs were all over the place in the back line defensively for the remainder of the bin. They have to rearrange the line and have a gap and try to use the touch line to defend more. The Brumbies tiptoed down that line a few times and beat them on the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

surely the chiefs are sealing off nearly every ruck?

This is gonna be some conversion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Brumbies have done their best to throw it away.

Heh, literally the same thing happened in this fixture last year. Try at the end but touch line conversion to tie missed.

That penalty, what a ball-breaker. Might just be the end of the Chief season.

• Advertisement

Ah, that's a crappy way for the game to be potentially decided.

On the balance of 80 minutes, you'd have to say the Brumbies were better but the Crusaders or Tahs won't be too panicked if the Brumbies come to town.

Another stinker from Lilo.

Very poor from from Lealiifano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Amazing effort from the chiefs. Absolute champion team the last few years. Not getting home advantage in the playoffs was massive from them and all come about with cruden being out of action for a month. Just shows how much of a leader he has become.

Good fightback from chiefs, but brumbies better overall. Chiefs need a bit of careful recruiting next year, especially in their pack. SBW and Kahui should be back though, but goodbye to Aki & Anscombe among others.

Buer wrote: »
    Ah, that's a crappy way for the game to be potentially decided.

On the balance of 80 minutes, you'd have to say the Brumbies were better but the Crusaders or Tahs won't be too panicked if the Brumbies come to town.

Another stinker from Lilo.

Egg on both on our faces - you for saying game over after 10 minutes, and me for touting the Brumbies as potential champions :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Only managed to see the second half down the pub but it was worth it. Rabo Pro12 it wasn't. Shame about the result though but I suppose the Aussies have to be allowed to win occasionally. :D

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Egg on both on our faces - you for saying game over after 10 minutes, and me for touting the Brumbies as potential champions :p

At least you might be proven right!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hey lads, if anyone's watching the sharks Highlanders game could you give the odd update and score, I'm down in Kerry with almost no phone coverage, never mind sky ;)
    Cheers... com'on the landers !!

Don't worry, syd. My wife is away and you know how the old phrase goes...

While the cats away, Buer will sit on his hole all day eating junk food, watching rugby and posting online.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hey lads, if anyone's watching the sharks Highlanders game could you give the odd update and score, I'm down in Kerry with almost no phone coverage, never mind sky ;)
    Cheers... com'on the landers !!

I'll do my best, my broadband is 2.6MB approx, so any posting during the game might cause my stream to buffer :pac:

NB: I'm questioning your supporters' credentials here, syd. Where was the call to verify phone coverage prior to leaving Laois? Seems like a desperate lack of planning on your part :p

NB2: Benjamin is back at 15, so that's a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

3-0 Sharks

• Advertisement

@Kiwi_knock: do u reckon the Brumbies could be dark horses to win the comp?? Haven't seen to much of the this year, kind of stopped watching after that awful gave v the Sharks, but they look good tonight, admittedly the Chiefs don't have the best pack going around.

*cough*

If you'd be obliged K_k...

Very cagey opening. Both sides making mistakes and trying to force it a bit. Sharks controlling territory that little bit more but very early days.

This will be tough, syd. The HLs have no set-piece stability...

And in a major surprise the Sharks score off a rolling maul.

Coetzee over for opening try.

Looks like a long day for the Highlanders. Sharks playing as well as they have all year.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Looks like a long day for the Highlanders. Sharks playing as well as they have all year.

As you know I can't stand the Sharks 10 man + kick approach (13th most tries in a 15 team comp). but their forwards are pretty awesome.

Sharks denied second try by double movement it seems.

*cough*

If you'd be obliged K_k...

I don't think so, they don't have enough to win away. They might beat the Tahs but they will not have enough to beat the Sharks or the Crusaders away. They cannot depend on Lealiifano to get them points, personally I think he should be dropped for McCabe as he offers little in attack. Brumbies do not have the best defence either, their back 3 go missing a good bit. A lot depends on the game management of White and Toomua. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Tahs, due to their experience from last year but the Sharks or Crusaders should have enough to beat them.

Crap that was nearly one of the tries of the season if the last pass had found a Highlander. Excellent passing at flat out pace up to then.

Highlanders might live to regret some of these missed chances.

• Advertisement

10-3 Syd.

10-3.

Much improved by Highlanders in last 5 minutes. They're threatening with ball in hand but lacking final pass.

Woo, Fekitoa burns through and scorches past the defence to dot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ben Smith made that, Fekitoa is a freak though

Good try for the Highlanders. 13-10 and not looking so straightforward anymore.

And Malekai dots down! With a hint of a goose step. He sure loves playing the Sharks this boy. Highlanders have no set-piece so they need a Forrest Gump approach to this game: "Run, Highlanders, run!"

What the Highlanders would give for Hayman & Thorn at scrumtime.

Harsh by Walsh on the Highlanders there. 2 Sharks dive in straight off their feet and the penalty goes against the Highlanders.

What a try!!! Go the Landers. Just throwing it about, and chancing their luck. Gotta love them.

• Advertisement

Absolutely brilliant to take the chance. Great team try

That's a fking disaster for the Sharks. Fell asleep a couple of times there.

This is fantastic to watch.

Hope the Highlanders can tighten their set piece and keep playing the way they are in the loose.

Well syd, 17-13 to the Highlanders at half time! One team has the forwards, the other has the backs.

Hopefully we can pull this off...

Thanks for the updates lads, on valentia right now, mobile data is like gold dust here.

Oh and swiwi, Iifstayed around to watch it while the rest of the crew went on hols, the better half would be filing the papers as we speak ;)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hopefully we can pull this off...

Thanks for the updates lads, on valentia right now, mobile data is like gold dust here.

Oh and swiwi, Iifstayed around to watch it while the rest of the crew went on hols, the better half would be filing the papers as we speak ;)

Valencia is great! If HLs setpiece can hold their own, a win is possible. The Sharks are not really a side that score 5-pointers except from the maul.

• Advertisement

20-13, just over 30 mins left.

Looks like a classic try by the Sharks.

Highlanders should have just grounded it. Great work at scrum time by the Sharks

And the HLs scrum disentegrates, and the Sharks player falls on the ball. An early Xmas present really.

Feck, I assume sharks playing 10 man game in the second half?

• Advertisement
Advertisement