Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2014 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

hahashake wrote: »
    I never like to see NZ teams lose but the upside to a canes loss is another nail in the Hamateurs coffin.

The NZRFU has made some weird choices and various snubs down the years. Not sure if you're Kiwi, and if so if you remember Mac McCallion and John Boe, 2 good coaches who never got Super jobs. Then there's Penney, Schmidt, Plumtree, Cotter, Crowley, Anscombe, McLean off the top of my head (not 100% about all of these), and meanwhile Hammett waltzes into the Canes job, and continues their "success" of underachievement.

Umaga would be a very popular choice for 2015...and he has proven success with Counties.

Morf wrote: »
    Not got the staying power of Adam D'arcy then . . .

Had to google that :o

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any chance jean de villers would fancy another few seasons here in a certain 13 shirt? ?

Crusaders spent a while half crabbing wide with the ball.
    Stormers admirably have been excellent in defense, by this saders set up with slade at 15 and dagg at 11 seems all wrong.

Just linking back in for that try :)

Game on...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The NZRFU has made some weird choices and various snubs down the years. Not sure if you're Kiwi, and if so if you remember Mac McCallion and John Boe, 2 good coaches who never got Super jobs. Then there's Penney, Schmidt, Plumtree, Cotter, Crowley, Anscombe, McLean off the top of my head (not 100% about all of these), and meanwhile Hammett waltzes into the Canes job, and continues their "success" of underachievement.

Umaga would be a very popular choice for 2015...and he has proven success with Counties.

Yeah, I'm a kiwi and I agree 100%.

Crusaders looking fairly toothless but somehow maintaining the Stormers 0% win record in Chch.

Yeah, I'm a kiwi and I agree 100%.

Crusaders looking fairly toothless but somehow maintaining the Stormers 0% win record in Chch.

I'll take the win. Honestly, though, with so many ABs in that Crusaders side they are doing a good impression of Highlanders 2013. I think the problem is the midfield - Crotty is fine, but Ray Lee-Lo has looked like a terrible signing to date. Then the Dagg debacle. Rebels in Melbourne is a definite banana skin next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

As other posters have pointed out, their tactic seems to be to maintain possession and move the ball side-to-side hoping for gaps to appear. Unfortunately this tactic is failing them and the coaches don't seem willing to change. I agree Lee-Lo is looking like a poor signing so far, but their whole backline is lacking punch or flair. A guy like Fruean can add that punch that creates tries. I understand why they felt they couldn't re-sign him but they are looking foolish now. He seems to be fitter than he has been for a while at the Chiefs. Even the Crusaders AB forward pack doesn't look as menacing as it should.

As other posters have pointed out, their tactic seems to be to maintain possession and move the ball side-to-side hoping for gaps to appear. Unfortunately this tactic is failing them and the coaches don't seem willing to change. I agree Lee-Lo is looking like a poor signing so far, but their whole backline is lacking punch or flair. A guy like Fruean can add that punch that creates tries. I understand why they felt they couldn't re-sign him but they are looking foolish now. He seems to be fitter than he has been for a while at the Chiefs. Even the Crusaders AB forward pack doesn't look as menacing as it should.

I'd go from 9 to 15 with Ellis, Slade, Guildford?, Taylor, Crotty, McNicholl?, Dagg

Not sure about the wingers TBH, but at least a better midfield and Dagg at 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Force are ripping the Rebels apart. Back to the Rebels of old.

• Advertisement

This is mental. .. going to be 27 nil after 25 minutes

I risk ridiculing myself by predicting in advance, but here goes

1) Crusades will win at home (at least, they better)
    2) Rebels will crush the Force
    3) Bulls will edge the Blues (but could go either way)
    4) Sharks will dispose of the Lions fairly handily

Force ridiculing me...

So easy for the Force. Shocking decision by McGahan to rotate players for this match.

Bonus point try after 26 minutes

This is embarrassing for the rebels

There is the bonus point try, great performance by the Force so far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

First time I get to watch a half of super rugby live this year and it's 40 minutes of knock-ons... and a try at the death.

First time I get to watch a half of super rugby live this year and it's 40 minutes of knock-ons... and a try at the death.

In fairness, if you choose the Rebels v the Force as your match you only have yourself to blame :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Was in work till 4am this morning so missed the Stormers game. From what I read the Stormers were very hard done by? 1 or 2 tries disallowed that shouldve been awarded and the Crusaders' winning penalty shouldnt have been a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Is Kaino injured?

• Advertisement

damianmcr wrote: »
    Is Kaino injured?

No. Has recently joined the Blues squad from Japan, and likely to start once they return from their African safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Ah cheers.

Why is the Sharks game not on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Sharks looking quite clinical today. My favourites for the tournament in large part thanks to the amount of points they will rack up off other SA teams, which should get them home field.

Jannie Du Plessis being interviewed, the guy can hardly speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    There is the bonus point try, great performance by the Force so far.

Was Godwin playing? Play a big part in the win? Honeybadger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

matthew8 wrote: »
    Sharks looking quite clinical today. My favourites for the tournament in large part thanks to the amount of points they will rack up off other SA teams, which should get them home field.

Jannie Du Plessis being interviewed, the guy can hardly speak English.

That's because he isn't English speaking,first language is Afrikaans

I'd go from 9 to 15 with Ellis, Slade, Guildford?, Taylor, Crotty, McNicholl?, Dagg

Not sure about the wingers TBH, but at least a better midfield and Dagg at 15.

Good to know that Blackadder follows me on boards.ie

Crusaders: Israel Dagg, Nafi Tuitavake, Ryan Crotty, Tom Taylor, Johnny McNicholl, Colin Slade, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (c), Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, Samuel Whitelock, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Tim Perry, Nepo Laulala, Dominic Bird, Jordan Taufua, Mitchell Drummond, Kieron Fonotia, Nemani Nadolo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tim Riggins

Great to see Ardie Savea get his start in the Hurricanes Cheetahs game. This kid is the real deal.Been waiting a long time to see him at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Great to see Ardie Savea get his start in the Hurricanes Cheetahs game. This kid is the real deal.Been waiting a long time to see him at this level.

Has he put own much muscle over pre-season?

Good to see Gareth Anscombe back for the Chiefs - the Ulster coach will be proud! Cruden slotting them from the sidelines too. Also, Tom Marshall back from injury...and playing well at 12...the Crusaders were duds to let Marshall go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another impressive and professional performance by the chiefs.
    Look like the team to beat again this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Right, saders Rebels. Rebels the France of super rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

errlloyd wrote: »
    Right, saders Rebels. Rebels the France of super rugby

Indeed, being a Rebels fan is hard work. We were awesome in week one, like a J7 team last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

keano_afc wrote: »
    Indeed, being a Rebels fan is hard work. We were awesome in week one, like a J7 team last week.

This is exactly the nervous tight affair I don't want against the real France. Ref is very whistle happy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My two teams going head to head tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think its going to be another one of those seasons for the Rebels.

Morf wrote: »
    Has he put own much muscle over pre-season?

Seemingly he has. Would have featured last year but picked up a huge ban for a spear tackle in pre season. He done a number on the chap.

If you liked Zebo's foot skill in Cardiff last year, watch this by Tom Marshall. Blows it out of the water and results in a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ah yeah but that doesn't count cause it's unintentional. That's like ROM's flick to James Coughlan.

Hagz wrote: »
    Ah yeah but that doesn't count cause it's unintentional. That's like ROM's flick to James Coughlan.

it counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Hagz wrote: »

If you slow it down and watch it, he does actually flick it up on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He does yeh.

• Advertisement

Bombs away between canes and cheetahs. Beauden Barrett will be the worlds best ten in no time. Phenomenal player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

BP try for the Force

KevIRL wrote: »
    BP try for the Force

Nicely taken too. Highlanders strike back, and and they are back in the game. They have bonus points at least to aim for now.

Highlanders playing great stuff in the last 10 minutes, they could win this

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Highlanders playing great stuff in the last 10 minutes, they could win this

Especially as its now 15 v 13

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

If you slow it down and watch it, he does actually flick it up on purpose.

sure he does, in that case so did O'Mahony. it was very lucky rather than some insane skill

Try highlanders, need to convert! !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great finish to it

Ah balls, hits the woodwork

• Advertisement

Israel-time coming up!

Advertisement