Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2014 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

There's no point making previews, unless you learn from them...

...so time for an early season re-analysis.

BLUES
    I predicted 10 could be problematic, and that Benji Marshall was a huge gamble. 10 has been problematic, but Marshall has not been sighted there (Marshall looks let to provide back 3 "x-factor" from the bench). However, Kirwan has surreptitiously stumbled on wider training group member Simon Hickie, and seems to have the answer. The guy looks extremely assured, and can certainly goalkick (22/24 to date). I also predicted lock could be problematic, and I stick by that: Tuitulopou looked OK, but has got injured. I'm still predicting 3rd or 4th, although the Crusaders lack of form means 2nd is still very much up for grabs in the NZ conference.

CHIEFS
    Still tracking nicely for 1st, despite the loss to the Force. Still reckon they lack a really top 8, but the English import at lock has looked pretty good, reducing that worry a bit. Excellent squad depth.

HURRICANES
    Worse than predicted. Abysmal even. Surely Hammett's last season in charge. Unlucky to lose Shields & Vito before the season started, but under-performing all the same. Maybe if Julian Savea gets a proper haircut they'll go better. At risk of the wooden spoon, and I stick with their tight 5 lacking class, Ben Franks excepted. Still not really convinced that Coles is an AB class hooker. Could be heading for the NZ wooden spoon, but do potentially have the backs to win games.

CRUSADERS
    Underwhelming to date. Blackadder has made a dog's breakfast of selecting a backline, but hopefully they will come right. Dagg is once again off-form, and without Carter it's all a bit pedestrian. Still think they'll sneak 2nd, but need to find form fast.

HIGHLANDERS
    Much better than predicted. They are playing like a team, and in that way remind me of Ireland. Aaron & Ben Smith are living up to billing, but I've been impressed with the Highlanders midfield, and Lima Sopoaga at 10 (injured most of last season) has been playing pretty well. They have limited squad depth, and this might catch up with them. I reckon they might avoid the NZ wooden spoon, if everything clicked, no injuries, and win a couple on the road, they could get 2nd, but I expect the usual second half of the season slump a bit.

Some good games this coming weekend: Blues v Landers, Saders v Canes, and Sharks v Tahs especially - can the Tahs win on the road in a potential final clash, and will Folau score 1,2 or 3 tries this week...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Swiwi. wrote: »
    However, Kirwan has surreptitiously stumbled on wider training group member Simon Hickie,

...he noiselessly trumpeted.

Folau is out for the Sharks game, which news I'm sure has been well received in Durban.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

There's no point making previews, unless you learn from them...

...so time for an early season re-analysis.

BLUES
    I predicted 10 could be problematic, and that Benji Marshall was a huge gamble. 10 has been problematic, but Marshall has not been sighted there (Marshall looks let to provide back 3 "x-factor" from the bench). However, Kirwan has surreptitiously stumbled on wider training group member Simon Hickie, and seems to have the answer. The guy looks extremely assured, and can certainly goalkick (22/24 to date). I also predicted lock could be problematic, and I stick by that: Tuitulopou looked OK, but has got injured. I'm still predicting 3rd or 4th, although the Crusaders lack of form means 2nd is still very much up for grabs in the NZ conference.

CHIEFS
    Still tracking nicely for 1st, despite the loss to the Force. Still reckon they lack a really top 8, but the English import at lock has looked pretty good, reducing that worry a bit. Excellent squad depth.

HURRICANES
    Worse than predicted. Abysmal even. Surely Hammett's last season in charge. Unlucky to lose Shields & Vito before the season started, but under-performing all the same. Maybe if Julian Savea gets a proper haircut they'll go better. At risk of the wooden spoon, and I stick with their tight 5 lacking class, Ben Franks excepted. Still not really convinced that Coles is an AB class hooker. Could be heading for the NZ wooden spoon, but do potentially have the backs to win games.

CRUSADERS
    Underwhelming to date. Blackadder has made a dog's breakfast of selecting a backline, but hopefully they will come right. Dagg is once again off-form, and without Carter it's all a bit pedestrian. Still think they'll sneak 2nd, but need to find form fast.

HIGHLANDERS
    Much better than predicted. They are playing like a team, and in that way remind me of Ireland. Aaron & Ben Smith are living up to billing, but I've been impressed with the Highlanders midfield, and Lima Sopoaga at 10 (injured most of last season) has been playing pretty well. They have limited squad depth, and this might catch up with them. I reckon they might avoid the NZ wooden spoon, if everything clicked, no injuries, and win a couple on the road, they could get 2nd, but I expect the usual second half of the season slump a bit.

Some good games this coming weekend: Blues v Landers, Saders v Canes, and Sharks v Tahs especially - can the Tahs win on the road in a potential final clash, and will Folau score 1,2 or 3 tries this week...

Agree with pretty much all of this. I reckon the young 8 at the Chiefs Squire looks potentially very good. Still very raw but big, athletic and skillful. Kane Thompson is also a decent 8, I think he played most games at 8 in 2012 but went to Japan for a year.

In a strange way I wouldn't mind if the saders or canes had a bad year, both of their coaches need the boot. I don't actually want them to have a bad year but silver linings and all that.

Highlanders are playing as a tight unit this year, whether they have the depth to make the playoffs is another story. If the Blues can maintain a consistent team and start their games better then they will be one of the most lethal teams in the comp. Their backline rivals the tahs in my opinion.

Deja vu though, with the NZ conference teams under-performing at the start of the season as they have done in the past and yet still managed to come good at the end of the season.

...he noiselessly trumpeted.

Folau is out for the Sharks game, which news I'm sure has been well received in Durban.

Stuart Berry has also been given leave from refereeing. No surprises there. Gutted Folau won't play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Gutted Folau won't play!

Will have to make big changes to my fantasy team this week then. :S

Also, I'm late comer to super rugby - would anyone be able to direct me to some matches where Dan Carter gave an absolute master class.
    Obviously I'm sure he stands out in most of his matches but were there any on the level of BOD's 3 tries against France announcing he had arrived?

Just interested to see him at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Also, I'm late comer to super rugby - would anyone be able to direct me to some matches where Dan Carter gave an absolute master class.
    Obviously I'm sure he stands out in most of his matches but were there any on the level of BOD's 3 tries against France announcing he had arrived?

Not super rugby but the second Lions test in 2005 is generally regarded as his best ever performance.

Not sure you have seen it but this kick defies belief.

I can't recall one particular super game where he really peaked because during his heyday he was almost always one if not the best player on the field. There a probably a few highlights videos on youtube focusing on super rugby.

Thanks very much. I had seen that kick before, outstanding. But thanks for the 2005 Lions suggestion I'll hunt down somewhere to watch that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The best is yet to come. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Patrick Lambie out for the rest of the season. Wonder will they play Frans Steyn at flyhalf.

I'm a bit like hahashake, I can't recall individual games. At his peak, he just produced week in, week out. If he stays injury free this time after his sabbatical we may still see some glory, but I reckon if he ships yet another injury in June, his participation in RWC 2015 must be in some doubt. It would be nice to see him get through a RWC uninjured, he was really unlucky in 2007 and 2011, I think NZ would have cantered to victory in 2011 if he wasn't out - at the very least he wouldn't have missed all the gimme shots at goal that Weepu missed.

• Advertisement

Jacovs wrote: »
    Patrick Lambie out for the rest of the season. Wonder will they play Frans Steyn at flyhalf.

He was apparently good there a week or so back. Steyn has lost weight, and looks revitalised. I must admit, I really fear the Boks when Steyn is on form, not only can he kick accurately from distance, but he is a good ballplayer in his own right.

Jake White really seems to know how to motivate Steyn. Lambie is out with a torn bicep :S
    That's true about 2011 Swiwi, but it would have denied Steven Donald the fairy tale winning kick in the final - think I read they were making it into a movie. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Didn't see this posted already - incredible try:eek:

Didn't see this posted already - incredible try:eek:

*cough* the 13-man code *cough*

But I guess it's kind of super...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I heard Aussie commentators the first time I saw it (and they obviously don't play Rugby League....) :o

Blues team looks the strongest it's been all season, with Nonu & Kaino starting. Intrigued to see Luatua has been given the 8 jersey, and not Kaino. I reckon this game could be an enjoyable watch, it will certainly give a clue as to whether the Highlanders can win on the road. Blues should not be losing at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Blues team looks the strongest it's been all season, with Nonu & Kaino starting. Intrigued to see Luatua has been given the 8 jersey, and not Kaino. I reckon this game could be an enjoyable watch, it will certainly give a clue as to whether the Highlanders can win on the road. Blues should not be losing at home.

I can see this as a very open game with plenty of tries been scored. Both teams have plenty of pace in their back line and they haven't been the best in defence so far this year either.

Heading to watch the crusaders hurricanes game myself. Looking forward to seeing if the bye week has helped the hurricanes improve their back line play which has been very poor so far this season.
    This game is nearly win or bust for this hurricanes teams. For all the talent they have, they are seriously underperforming.

I can see this as a very open game with plenty of tries been scored. Both teams have plenty of pace in their back line and they haven't been the best in defence so far this year either.

Heading to watch the crusaders hurricanes game myself. Looking forward to seeing if the bye week has helped the hurricanes improve their back line play which has been very poor so far this season.
    This game is nearly win or bust for this hurricanes teams. For all the talent they have, they are seriously underperforming.

Hope you're enjoying the match. The Crusdaers' handling skills are making this grown man weep. Very lively start by the Canes. Is there a more relaxed flyhalf in world rugby than Barrett?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

How many times do the commentators say "They have weathered the hurricane's storm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well after the start the hurricanes made there is no way I could see the crusaders leading at half time.
    Got the 2 tries from silly turnovers after the hurricanes have completely dominated all the play.
    Disappointing to see Read go off in his 100th game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hurricanes playing amazing stuff in the first five of the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Tough call, if he had been standing still and made exactly the same pass it wouldn't have gone forward. It did go significantly forward so you cant blame them for the call but still, this is exactly the type of thing where 'direction of the hands' actually matters

Do any of you lads want to go to work today in my place? I'll lend you my degree etc.

Do any of you lads want to go to work today in my place? I'll lend you my degree etc.

Game ends at a quarter past 8, you can make 9:00 easy

First time I've seen Crusaders this season and Jesus I don't recognise any of the names, so much for my glory hunting ambitions

Good try though

• Advertisement

Might have slightly misjudged the finish time so missed the end but a Crusaders home loss to the Hurricanes.. this is not what I signed up for when I decided to support the all conquering dominant force in Super rugby.. 2 wins out of 5 so far

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Been 6 years since they were the all conquering force, I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Great game to watch with some brilliant play, especially the try by Leiua. The Hurricanes may have saved Hammett his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

One of the worst mistakes you will see in rugby there.

'hon the Hurricanes! Missed it cause I had to go get a bank loan.

• Advertisement

Selfish by English, should have passed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Rebels! Wow, 29-17 and Brumbies have a man still in the bin. 10 mins to go.

Rebel beating the Brumbies 29-17. Massive win here for the Rebels if they hold on with 10 mins to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tox56 wrote: »
    Might have slightly misjudged the finish time so missed the end but a Crusaders home loss to the Hurricanes.. this is not what I signed up for when I decided to support the all conquering dominant force in Super rugby.. 2 wins out of 5 so far

No refunds.

Classy chip through for a try for the Brumbies.

2 minutes left 29-24

Penalty Rebels! Going to kick it for the win!

EDIT: Nails it. 32-24 Just a kickoff to come, and Brumbies don't even get a BP!

Congrats to Tony McGahan!

Lovely try for the Brumbies, but then give away a penalty. If the Rebels, there will be no bonus point for the Brumbies.

Game ends at a quarter past 8, you can make 9:00 easy

Which would have left me running half an hour late... :(

I'm waiting for Day Light's Saving, from memory it means I can get the whole game in before work...or maybe it's the other way round and I get none of the game in...

It's not a good precedent to set to be on time for your first clients/patients. It makes you seem like you don't have something better to do.

You'll not be seeing any of the matches from next week, unless NZ/NSW/Vic change time then too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'm waiting for Day Light's Saving, from memory it means I can get the whole game in before work...or maybe it's the other way round and I get none of the game in...

I think it'll go from 13 ahead to 11 with a week of 12.

Ireland go forward 1 Sunday morning and NZ go back 1 the following Sunday morning.

I think that'll give you two extra hours in the round in 2 week's time.

My head hurts now.

• Advertisement

Poor defence from the Saders back 3 tonight. If I might say so, Dagg did a good impression of Rob Kearney for Leiua's try :pac:

Tuitavake has no place in that team, Nadalo looked much better.

2nd place is really open this season, all the NZ teams still have a shot at it, can't see the Chiefs finishing anywhere other than top of the NZ conference. I guess if the Crusaders can't make it, I'll go with the Landers - I studied in Dunedin after all...

When I think that Blackadder let Tom Marshall, Sean Maitland, and Patrick Osborne all go...and chooses Tuitavake :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Poor defence from the Saders back 3 tonight. If I might say so, Dagg did a good impression of Rob Kearney for Leiua's try :pac:

Tuitavake has no place in that team, Nadalo looked much better.

2nd place is really open this season, all the NZ teams still have a shot at it, can't see the Chiefs finishing anywhere other than top of the NZ conference. I guess if the Crusaders can't make it, I'll go with the Landers - I studied in Dunedin after all...

Must say Dagg looked pretty sluggish for Savea's chip-through try. Is he carrying an injury?

Was Corey Jane playing for Canes? If so looking in form?

Morf wrote: »
    Must say Dagg looked pretty sluggish for Savea's chip-through try. Is he carrying an injury?

Was Corey Jane playing for Canes? If so looking in form?

Dagg not injured just out of form. He needs to develop a cut inside IMO rather than the goose step and go for the outside every time.

Jane not selected, seems the right call given how Savea & Leiua played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Early game not on Sky today?

On a personal note it's sad for weepu with the mini stroke but from a blues perspective Bryan hall looks very sharp.

An excellent performance by the Blues today: they now have a decent halves combo, Nonu in midfield, and the sublime Kaino back. A real statement, I might have to rate them a bit more highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Highlanders have been shocking in the second half. They've lost nearly every single collision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Twenty minutes 'til kick off.

C'mon the Reds.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Twenty minutes 'til kick off.

C'mon the Reds.

Nice! !!

First time the Stormers get the ball and they score, poor from the Reds.

• Advertisement

That injury to Aplon :(

Advertisement