Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan against upcoming personal injury case

Options
  • 10-02-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get a Credit Union loan until I receive a settlement from an upcoming personal injury case.

I was in a bad accident last year and both my feet were broken. My treatment is still ongoing on one foot and I have another operation to get in March.

My case is currently with the personal injuries board.

I have to pay my solicitor soon but a lot of my money is going on medical expenses. My Health Insurance doesn't cover everything and I'm now starting to struggle financially.

I have a credit union account that I rarely use and have never had loans, savings etc it in. Would it be possible for me to get a loan to me through until I receive my settlement and use this as collateral?

I have been told this is possible but I can't find any information online. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if you havent had savings in it then its not going to be possible. Even if you can get a loan you will be expected to make payments and not just wait until you get a settlement.

How exactly could you expect to use a claim that for all they know you may not win as collateral ?

All I can say is tell your solicitor to wait to be paid. There is no reason for you to stress yourself out financially paying him before his work is complete the same goes for the hospital.

Niether will pull the plug on their services if you dont stay 100% current on your bills with them. Its not ideal but if your struggling they will have to wait in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

If you had paid some money towards your medical bills last year have you filled out a med one form and sent it to revenue?
    The med one form is a revenue form that you fill out at the end of the tax year and you may be able to claim back 20% of the medical bills you paid.
    This might give you some money to make life easier at the moment.
    I would not be using your sick pay to pay off the hospital/solicitor as you need that money for day to day living expenses.

I would just tell your solicitor that you are currently waiting for money from the personal injuries board.

I would ring the accounts department in the hospital, explain your situation and then put a letter in writing to them informing them that your case is currently with the personal injuries board.
    Some hospitals have computer generated bills which they send out each month until they get payment.

Also check all the bills that your health insurance have paid the hospital and if they paid out tests you did not have or for a private room which you did not stay in contact your health insurance company as they have been over charged.
    I hope this helps you out and that things get better for you soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the solicitor will wait

you might not get that much

their insurance should pay your medical bills

the hospital will wait as well

Advertisement